Disaster?! Sidelight problem

Old December 7th 04, 05:25 PM
PhilipS

Default Disaster?! Sidelight problem

Hi,

Both my sidelight bulbs (147, sept 2001) went within a week of each
other recently. Got a pair of spares, changed the driver's side bulb.
Bit fiddly, but no real problems. Moved to the other side, then
disaster.

The black plastic sidelight bulb holder snapped off, leaving the bulb
in situ and only a small please of plastic left to get hold of with
pliars.

(difficult to explain, but if you've ever been inside a 147 headlight
you'll understand)

Very light pressure was applied, can only asusme that it was brittle,
incorrectly fitted in the first place or similar (bulbs have never
been changed before).

Any ideas?

If I can get it out (need to go shopping for different shaped pliars)
i may be able to get the bulb and base of broken bulb holder out. But
I guess that the bulb holder will not be available as a separate part,
and replacing it may mean a whole new headlight assembly (£££??)

Or the light unit may have to come out to get better acces. Does the
front bumper have to come off to remove the light unit?

Is it the same set up in a 156 light? I have a better chance of
finding a second hand 156 light unit to canibalise?

Arghhhhhh!! This is going to cost...

Any ideas very much appreciated
Philip
Old December 11th 04, 10:47 AM

Hmmm.... sounds like a nightmare. My nearly-3-year-old 147 has suddenly
started needing bulbs replaced all over the place!! At least the car
bothers to tell you that a bulb has gone though & trust me: changing
the rear light cluster bulbs are a damn sight easier than those front
clusters. I nearly broke my front light cluster through pure
frustration when changing my sidelight. I also noted that the manual
says you should ideally get a dealer to change the bulbs.... yeah
right.

Dave

Old December 12th 04, 12:27 AM
Ppelectron

>Hmmm.... sounds like a nightmare. My nearly-3-year-old 147 has suddenly
>started needing bulbs replaced all over the place!! At least the car
>bothers to tell you that a bulb has gone though & trust me: changing
>the rear light cluster bulbs are a damn sight easier than those front
>clusters. I nearly broke my front light cluster through pure
>frustration when changing my sidelight. I also noted that the manual
>says you should ideally get a dealer to change the bulbs.... yeah
>right.
>
>Dave

Changing Alfa bulbs is often a problem. The 156 front indicators are a lot of
fun. Your bulbs may all be blowing because they are the same age and have the
same life expectancy - if you see what I mean. My 156 sidelights went at around
the same same, as did the indicators.

Phil

Old December 13th 04, 10:43 PM

Hi Philip,
In the past, I have had cause to take out the side bulb on my 147 so I
know exactly what you are saying. [thin fingers]
Have you thought about plastic welding the plastic piece back on, that
is if you can get a small soldering iron into the lamp. I think you
will still have to get the lamp unit out of the car anyway to give you
any sort of chance.
John, UK.

Old December 19th 04, 08:29 PM
Juan Tanameara

I have also just changed the side light bulb on my 147
It took me a good 15+ mins plus the use of some long needle
nose pliers and a small mirror.
And I thought the number plate lights were bad...

Alasdair

oups.com...