NSR Shimmering

Old February 24th 05, 12:56 AM
RHinNC

What version of nVidia control panel?

oups.com...

Old February 24th 05, 01:51 AM
Smokin_Bob

I am using the 66.93 drivers on a 6800 GT card. I just got the card a
month or so ago, and am really happy with it so far. I had a couple of
Radeons before it, and they weren't bad, but I did want to upgrade.

Old February 25th 05, 09:05 PM
Larry

I see the shimmering at Daytona as well. I do have mipmaps on.

That's interesting about ansio not working unless you manually turn it on in
the cfg file.

Jeez, YAFCFC.

Yet Another Friggin Config File Change

I hope I NEVER have to reinstall this thing again. I'll NEVER get it back
the same!

-Larry

Old February 25th 05, 09:07 PM
Larry

Which optimizations are you speaking of?

-Larry

Old February 25th 05, 10:27 PM
David G Fisher

Anisotropic works without doing anything with the config file.

--
David G Fisher

newsqMTd.11948$7z6.9058@lakeread04...

Old February 26th 05, 12:54 AM
Smokin_Bob

Larry,

In the performance options of the control panel....Trilinear
optimization, anisotropic optimization, etc. Basically all the stuff
that makes image quality suffer at the hands of performance. There is
right mouse button click help on the options if you want to know what
they do.

David,

You are exactly correct--your card can do it as well. That is just
another thing to try in case the card, for whatever reason, doesnt like
it. EA wants the FSAA off on the card, but I do not know what they feel
about the aniso. Just set it back to zero for sure.

Old February 26th 05, 06:23 AM
Larry

Wow, I thought optimized meant better quality. You're saying it means
better performance?

That's kinda confusing

-Larry

oups.com...

Old February 26th 05, 08:02 AM
Smokin_Bob

Larry,

No kidding--had me fooled for weeks I suppose it all depends on the
wording, optimized for speed or quality...

Old February 26th 05, 11:49 AM
Neil Charlton

"David G Fisher" > wrote in message
> Anisotropic works without doing anything with the config file.
>

> --
> David G Fisher
>
> "Larry" > wrote in message
> newsqMTd.11948$7z6.9058@lakeread04...
>> I see the shimmering at Daytona as well. I do have mipmaps on.
>>
>> That's interesting about ansio not working unless you manually turn it on

> in
>> the cfg file.
>>
>> Jeez, YAFCFC.
>>
>> Yet Another Friggin Config File Change
>>
>> I hope I NEVER have to reinstall this thing again. I'll NEVER get it back
>> the same!
>>
>> -Larry
>>
>> "David G Fisher" > wrote in message
>> >
>> > "Neil Charlton" > wrote in message
>> >
>> > I don't see that at all.
>> >
>> > When you ran 3d config, did you check "use mip maps"?
>> >
>> > If you didn't, the graphics are going to look like bad. A lot like what
>> > you
>> > described.
>> > --
>> > David G Fisher

Same experience her Dave - config has no effect on Aniso. The graphic card
setting do have an effect. Unfortunately, messing with it doesn't help the
shimmering at all (for me) but going to the highest level greatly improved
the quality of the winshield support bar shadows on the dash!

I found something else interesting - I can reproduce one aspect of the
problem for those with different systems to compare. Start a full race, at
the back of the grid, odds are you'll be behind a dodge. All the dodges have
the DODGE logo on the rear bumper. As the field pulls out of the pits, the
logo will appear to 'roll and shimmer'.

It as if the game's worked out that the car is further away and the logo is
therefore smaller and must be rescaled (which is correct) but then redraws
it totally ineptly. One pixel shifts in the pattern give the rolling and
shimmering effect. I must have tried everything by now but the ONLY thing
that's made any difference at all is to put image quality in the game at
low. Things don't look too good now but the logo no longer rolls as the car
pulls away. Similarly, sit in the pits with a fence post near you. As you
slightly move the wheel, you can see drawn pixels roll up and down the fence
post as it attempts to redraw at a slightly different position. Like I said,
I 'm currently running 1024x768, 6xAA, 16xAF all details maxed for quality
but NONE of these settings affect the problem. The only thing that helps, as
I've just said, is lowering the game's image quality setting.

I'd like to say that this experiment tells me that graphically, they've done
a poor job on NSR but as I can't really as I don't know enough about how
this particular aspect works. It could also be just my own physiology that
makes these artifacts so distracting and hence spoils the experience for me.
Reading between the lines of an earlier thread regarding EAs patch
intentions, it doesn't appear that they intend to address any of the
graphical issues in the near future (cars, textures etc). I think this is a
real shame as sorting out the quality and accuracy of the cars, fixing the
diff/height issue and sorting the flags fiasco would make this thing a
contender.

Regards