Emmision System

Old December 7th 04, 05:22 AM
jusjac

Default Emmision System

I had my car inspected and it didn't pass the emission test. NOx(ppm )
current reading is 2199 (High Speed Emission) Low Speed Emission reading
was 2595 . Can you please help, and advise what may be the cause for such
high reading?

Old December 7th 04, 05:42 AM
ajpdla

Um, what's it supposed to be to be within specs?

lkaboutautos.com...

Old December 7th 04, 06:12 AM
jusjac

Well accroding to the Reading Standard High Speed Emission (25 MPh) is NOx
(ppm) 984 min reads 2199
and Low Speed Emission Resupts (15 Mph ) Standard is 1088 mine reads
2595

Old December 7th 04, 06:48 AM
SoCalMike

jusjac wrote:

> Well accroding to the Reading Standard High Speed Emission (25 MPh) is NOx
> (ppm) 984 min reads 2199
> and Low Speed Emission Resupts (15 Mph ) Standard is 1088 mine reads
> 2595

does the car have EGR? that directly effects NOx readings.
Old December 7th 04, 12:25 PM
jusjac

Sorry , but what is EGR? it's a 91 automatic accord.

Old December 7th 04, 04:28 PM
Randolph

jusjac wrote:

> Sorry , but what is EGR? it's a 91 automatic accord.

Exhaust Gas Recirculation. Some of the exhaust is pulled back into the
intake to dilute the air/fuel mixture. This is done for the sole purpose
of reducing NOx emissions. Not all cars use EGR, but on cars that do, a
faulty EGR valve can cause problems with increased emissions.

What trim level (EX, LX, DX etc.) is your car, and what engine does it
have?
Old December 7th 04, 06:07 PM
Sean Dinh

EGR only works at idling, on 1 cylinder.

He has serious high temperature in the combustion chamber, perhaps excessive
carbon deposit? Or a faulty Cat?

Old December 7th 04, 06:12 PM
Sean Dinh

High NO is caused by high combustion temperature, such is resulted from
either advanced timing or carbon buildup in the the combustion chamber.
If this is my car, I would run a bottle of combustion cleaner and change the
timing to the minimum. If that still not reduce NO enough, then I would look
at the catalytic converter.

Old December 8th 04, 12:35 PM
jusjac

Thanks for the information , i will try this