What does everyone have in their tanks????

Old November 12th 05, 09:31 PM
Gill Passman

Default What does everyone have in their tanks????

Jeff Harris wrote:

First signs of my addiction where as a child trying to win as many
goldfish as I could - used to drive my mum nuts as she tried to find
places to put them - we only had one tank and a bowl at the time :-)
Although I'm glad that this practice has stopped (at least in the UK) it
did get me started....although we've been through tank free times I
think adding up the years I have had fish for more time than not...

Gill
Old November 13th 05, 02:01 AM
Jeff Harris

NetMax wrote:
"Jeff Harris" wrote in message

Justice wrote:

Gill Passman wrote:

Let's really start sharing here.....

Wow. All those tanks. Makes my tank skills seem weenie. We just have
one
10 gal (37.85 liter) tank with some sort of sword plant, a java fern,
32
inches or so of water weed, some other leafy plant, a pirate decoration
and 5 black mollies. We're planning on adding a betta next week.

This tank all started when someone said, "Go ahead, little 2 year old
boy. Throw the ping pong ball at the cups." Got a coupon for a feeder
goldfish (that's probably a subject that can ignite as many flames as
the trolling). Feeder got ich. Converted it to tropical with the
addition of a heater. Cleaned it out and did a fishless cycle, and now
we have happy fish.

lol, we all start somewhere. I have to confess that I've never
personally owned a goldfish, and my first fish was (I think), a
Pumpkinseed sunfish, kept in the garage on the floor.

I think as the hobby progresses, you can go through stages of many tanks,
many fish, big tanks, many plants...but it all settles down somewhere in
the niche which brings you the most pleasure, and sometimes, that's a 10g
with a live plants, a Betta and some tank-mates, so don't be too
surprised if you come full circle some day ;~).

I did have another 10 gallon tank about 20 years ago. I think it was
probably way overstocked with a bunch of neon tetras, zebra danios and a
couple of platys. I remember I got a pregnant platy and a breeding tank.
A short time after she birthed, we went on vacation for a week, and I
hoped the fry were big enough to not be eaten.

I was wrong. I think the rest of them died out due to new tank syndrome.
Back then, we didn't know to cycle the tank. Poor fish.

I've got plans for an 80 gallon tank (~300 liters), but the boss won't
let me get it for a while...
Old November 13th 05, 04:54 AM
NetMax

NetMax wrote:
"Jeff Harris" wrote in message

snip

I've got plans for an 80 gallon tank (~300 liters), but the boss won't
let me get it for a while...

Always set up your first tank the way your SO wants it (this includes the
coloured gravel, treasure chest, pirate skull and whatever else it
takes). Then perform all the maintenance on it (now they owe you).
After that you are home-free. You should be good for 6 more tanks, just
the way you like them (but don't buy them all at once ;~).
--
www.NetMax.tk

Old November 13th 05, 05:14 AM
Daniel Morrow

Old November 13th 05, 07:14 AM
NetMax

"Gill Passman" wrote in message
.. .
NetMax wrote:
"Jeff Harris" wrote in message

snip

... If he even starts to murmer about the fish I just swear about the
lights - lol or mention the number of pcs knocking about the place -
works a treat

Gill

ROTFL, whatever works!
--
www.NetMax.tk

Old November 13th 05, 06:51 PM
Gill Passman

NetMax wrote:

"Jeff Harris" wrote in message

snip

I've got plans for an 80 gallon tank (~300 liters), but the boss won't
let me get it for a while...

Always set up your first tank the way your SO wants it (this includes the
coloured gravel, treasure chest, pirate skull and whatever else it
takes). Then perform all the maintenance on it (now they owe you).
After that you are home-free. You should be good for 6 more tanks, just
the way you like them (but don't buy them all at once ;~).

This is so, so true - very sage advice here :-)

My SO helped with my son's 15 gall (which I now have in the kitchen as
he upgraded to 30 gall) and with our first tank which is the 47.5 gall
in the Conservatory. Fortunately his taste wasn't garish and matches
mine. He also had input into the fish that went in originally - he has a
passion for Neons so providing I maintain a school of neons I pretty
much get away with. Now I can do pretty much what I want tankwise but do
involve him the decision making on the larger scale projects that will
impact him (for example my planned tank upgrade). Probably how I got up
to 7 - now he just rolls his eyes and goes back to whatever he is doing.

Of course, another sacrifice is to allow SO a free rein with their pet
projects. My SO is into home automation (when he's not working flat out
on the business) - I think I only have 3 real light switches in the
house. If he even starts to murmer about the fish I just swear about the

Old November 14th 05, 03:25 AM
Deborah J. Brown

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 01:26:37 +0000, Gill Passman
wrote:

Let's really start sharing here.....

Three tanks.

Tank #1: 10 Gallon Tropical. Two adult platies and two babies. The
second of whom has been hiding so effectively that I didn't know it
was there until tonight.

Tank #2: 30 Gallon Goldfish: Two adult fantails. One red, one
silver/black. Both moochy.

Tank #3: Quarantine tank: Two young oto algae eaters. In about five
days they will be officially moved to the tropical tank to join the
platies.

Deborah

Old November 14th 05, 01:16 PM
Ali Day

"Gill Passman" wrote in message
.. .
Wow...10 Clown Loaches - that must be quite a sight :-) Do they all sleep
together in a heap or do they go off in groups?

Most of the time they hide and sleep in a pile under a shelf in the tank,
until food is on offer and then it's a clicking cacophony.

Bare Bottom Tanks (Was: What freshwater tank-cleaning fish toleratesalt?) Rocco Moretti General 0 October 13th 05 08:25 PM
FW websites- Tanks of the month?? Mike General 4 April 8th 05 08:19 AM
Treating for fleas with Fish Tanks Lady Samsara General 25 February 4th 04 06:10 PM
PetsMart tanks TYNK 7 General 5 January 5th 04 05:10 AM
Update on Tanks ~Vicki ~ Reefs 2 November 11th 03 03:24 AM