What does everyone have in their tanks????

Old November 11th 05, 04:47 PM
scrappy

Default What does everyone have in their tanks????

"Gill Passman" wrote in message
.. .
Let's really start sharing here.....

We have seven tanks in our house....

snipped for replying

Good morning all.. hope you don't mind a mostly lurker jumping in here!
First let me say I'm really jealous of some of your tanks.. the number of
them and the sizes! My dream tank is two custom wall tanks connected by a
glass tunnel running down the center of the room! ;-) I've always believed
in dreaming big!

I have two tanks: a 46 bow front that was given to me this winter. It came
with the complete set up including the fish.

I had a 70 gallon tank so I did some moving around of fish and buying some
new ones.

46 currently has:

gravel bottom, one of those store bought backgrounds and the decorations
that came with it. It has a HUGE pleco that creeps me out. I'm scared to
death of the thing!

2 cory cats.. fat and sassy they are...
2 redtail sharks
and one giant green severum, he's my baby. I got him about 10 years ago..
I'm not lying here!! I got him at Wal-Mart when they first opened up out
here. He was about the size of a quarter. He was very sick but I wasn't
experienced enough at that time to realize it and the little guy had some
kind of bacterial fungus and we had a heck of a time curing him. At one
point he was so sick he was almost dying. In desperation I put a teaspoon
of regular table salt in a large pot, filled it with water and threw the
fish in it... that was the starting point of his recovery. In all honesty I
think he has had so much medication that he is like a bionic fish. Over
the years I've had outbreaks of Ich and he's never gotten a thing. He
survived the move from hard well water to very soft city water without any
problems. He coaxes to be fed and is the most beautiful shade of blue I've
ever seen.

The 70 gallon tank I had wanted to convert to a salt water tank but I just
couldn't afford the skimmers and special pumps and filters... I had to go
with what I had so I changed it to a cichlid tank and I love them too. This
has a sand/gravel mix, some real and some artificial plants with caves and
ledges that I built from rocks and slate pieces that I've found over the
years in our travels.

There are no lfs here so I've been kind of winging it here and even though
I've spent hours and hours trying to figure out what some of the fish are as
they were sold as "assorted Africans" and the "expert" that "breeds"
cichlids and sells them to the store, who is also the store manager was no
help either. shaking my head still over that one

I do know that I have Labidochromis in variations of color and I think I
have some Melanochromis auratus. There is a total of 12 fish, I always
bought them in pairs as I was reestablishing this tank. The manager of the
store and I came to a fast understanding after I threatened to make a
complaint to his boss about having the wool pulled over my eyes, if I
purchase fish and they can't get along, I can return them for a store
credit. If I had it to do over, I found there is a very reliable breeder
about 20 miles from me and I would go to them to get my fish. But since
I've become somewhat attached to the ones I already have I am just learning
by trial and error right now. I did visit the breeder and they helped me
identify some of the fish I have and they spent some time going over some of
the basics such as them requiring a different diet than my other fish and
the importance of having hiding holes and such. After spending the
afternoon with these people I came home and took out all the decorations and
redid the set up. Since then I have very little fighting and I'm with this
tank almost all day most days. I stop and watch the fish alot as it's next
to my computer/craft set up and any time I look up the tank is there. Some
day I'll know all about these interesting fish, in the meantime I'm just
enjoying and learning a little at a time by reading these groups and several
sites on line.

Hope I didn't bore you all to death.

Old November 11th 05, 05:06 PM
Empty

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005 01:26:37 +0000, Gill Passman wrote:

So these are my current tanks....what are yours?????

55G, 160W NO Fluoro, canister CO2, gravel and fluorite substrate
This tank is in my kitchen, right next to my southern facing sliding glass
door. No pics right now, but the hair algae is losing the fight so some
should be around soon. Some time in the next few months I will break it
down and redo the substrate like my two tanks below.

Current/planned flora:
apon ulvaceous
e. tenellus
crypts(wendtii red, w. gree, w. bronze, petchii, and balansae)
anubias nana, barteri var coffeefolia
java moss
java fern
hairgrass
sag. subulata
jungle vals
unidentified hygro(i think) spp.
rotala indica
tiger lotus
crinum calimistratum(planned)
lillaeopsis(planned)

Current/planned fauna:
6 black neons
3 blue rams
1 yellow-tailed spiny eel
1 horsefaced loach
3 pygmy puffers
2 apisto cacatoides(planned)
7-8 checkerboard cichlids(planned)
Maintenance crew (4 saes, 2 amer. flagfish, many nerite snails, many many
mts, a few amano shrimp, a few otos)

20G, 100W NO fluoro, DIY co2, gravel over mud(laterite topsoil potting
soil peat and vermiculite)
This tank sits next to my couch and is viewable from 1 short and 2 long
sides.
http://www.emptiedout.com/20

Flora:
Jungle vals
melon sword
java moss and fern
anubius nan, barteri v. coffefolia, and congensis
crypt petchii and wendtii bronze
e. tenellus
hairgrass
crypt wendtii bronze and petchii
lillaepsis (planned)
glosso (planned)
crinum natans

Fauna:
15 serpae tetras
4-5 cories(planned)
10 nerites, many MTS
1 peacock eel(planned)

2.5G, 13w PC fluoro, Flourish Excel, gravel over mud
This is my desk aquarium.
http://www.emptiedout.com/2.5

Flora:
Hairgrass
e. tenellus
crypt wendtii bronze and petchii
lillaeopsis (planned)
rotala indica
aforementioned mystery hygro(to be replaced with bacopa monieri I think)
anubias nana, barteri v. coffeefolia
java moss
java fern

Fauna:
1 sparkling gourami, 1-2 more planned
2 nerites
1 amano shrimp
many MTS

Note: I need to put new tank pics up, they all look better than the photos
now.

~Empty
Old November 11th 05, 08:17 PM
Gill Passman

Ali Day wrote:
"Gill Passman" wrote in message
.. .

Let's really start sharing here.....

We have seven tanks in our house....

OK I have one tank in the house that's all I'm allowed, so I have a 2m,
600L/170g tank.
Quite heavily planted with all the usual culprits amazon swords, etc.
Electronic CO2 cyclone injection using CO2 cylinders from a local bar
supplier. Twin canister filters filtering the water at about 750 g/h

The only things I'm think I need now is a water osomosiwhatsit, to bring my
hardness down to around 5 in the future when I go back to discus keeping,
and undergravel heating which will be installed in February, when the fish
will all get moved into a bin for a couple of days, when I completly re-vamp
the tank.

The inhabitants are;
5 Ottos
10 Clown loaches
1 Bristlenose Pleco
2 Gold Bristlenose Pleco
10 Rummy nosed tetra
4 African Glass Catfish - Parailia pellucida not the Kryptopterus
4 SAE's
2 Blue Ram
7 Leopard danios
5 Diamond tetras
10 Cardinals
2 Marble Angelfish
And the bane of my life 15 guppies, which the fry have no been brought under
control, by the introduction of my tank minders the Angels.

Next plan when we landscape the garden in a large pond and stream effect
running down past out house.

Wow...10 Clown Loaches - that must be quite a sight :-) Do they all
sleep together in a heap or do they go off in groups?

Gill
Old November 11th 05, 08:55 PM
Dr.

"Gill Passman" wrote in message
.. .
Let's really start sharing here.....

Great thread! I've very much enjoyed reading what everyone else has.

72 gallon bowfront
Eco Complete, Satellite lighting, Eheim canister w/ prefilter.
Bogwood, petrified wood, fake tree stump the CL's live in.
Heavily planted.
7 Clown Loaches
3 Corydoras Sterbai
6 female Platies
2 Zebra Danios

37 gallon Perfecto
2/3 Flourite, 1/3 Eco Complete, Satellite lighting + standard light fixture,
Eheim Canister/ prefilter.
1 Large chunk of bogwood to hide the prefilter and heater.
Heavily planted.
12 Neon Tetras
3 Corydoras Iforgotis
3 Dwarf Cichlids
2 Dwarf Blue Gouramis

35 gallon hex
1/2 Flourite, 1/2 small gravel, Satellite lighting, Eheim canister.
Large chunk of bogwood, small cave for the Plec to hide in.
Heavily planted/overgrown.
4 male Platies
3 White Clouds
3 Otocinclus
3 Corydoras Iforgotis
1 male Betta
1 Queen Arabesque Pleco

10 gallon
All stock equip that came with the tank, small gravel.
Somewhat planted, Q-tank.
5 Platy fry

There will be more tanks. We're planning on having a custom acrylic tank in
the 300-500 gallon range built by a local outfit that specializes in them.
It'll be a few years, I'm sure. We have room also for another couple tanks
in the 40 gallon range, which we'll add whenever we find a steal on the
equipment. We've also been toying with the idea of building an indoor Koi
pond.

Gary

Old November 11th 05, 11:09 PM
Mean_Chlorine

Thusly "Dr." Spake Unto All:

Hmmm... lets see...

30 liter tank with a 4 cm layer of low-decayed peat as "sediment",
covered with a layer of oak leaves. Decoration is one piece of hollow
driftwood, javamoss, Azolla and duckweed. Circulation one 180L/h
internal filter, plus a weak airstone. pH in that one is about 5.5,
hardness very low.
Fish: 5 Danionella mirifica and 5 Otocinclus flexilis. (trying to
breed both).

90 liter tank with 5cm fine sand, covered with oak leaves. Entire tank
densely planted with Vallisneria "tiger", surface covered with Azolla
and Pistia. Circulation is one 450 L/h internal filter.
Fish: two eight-banded barbs (Eirmotus octozona, unfortunately two
males), about a dozen Microrasbora erythromicron (Crossbanded dwarf
danio), and about a dozen dwarf cardinals (Tanichthys micagemmae).
Also assorted snails and shrimp. The dwarf danios and dwarf cardinals
are breeding.

150 liter tank with 3" coral sand. Decoration: red granite. Filtration
1200L/h external filter. pH 8.3, hardness very high. Assorted fish, ie
platies, rasboras, highfin barbs (Oreichthys sp.), ricefish, a dozen
Danio choprae, and three Ancistrus. A very motley crew, basically
'fish soup', but it seems to work.

Old November 12th 05, 12:29 AM
Daniel Morrow

Bottom posted.

- --
You can find my public key at https://keyserver1.pgp.com
"Mean_Chlorine" wrote in message
[...]

My humble aquariums are as follows:

1 15 gallon (usa) tank in my bedroom (right here):
1 male and 1 female fancy guppies
4 juveniles of such
5 kuhli loaches
A lot of pond snails
1 great amazon swordplant (standard)
Some hornwort (not doing so well)
Plenty of aeration (bubbles) 5 air outlets, 2 being tetra luft pumps,
one whisper, and 2 outlets from an airmaster, not to mention all
outputs go to airstones except for the sponge filter plus a full
compliment of check valves
I think 35 watts of fluorescent light (one 15 watt standard
fluorescent, and one 20 watt screw in self ballasted)
A new growth of algae (never had any in my tanks before (used to just
be some diatoms) on part of the amazon sword plant which seems to be
here because of the combination of too much plant food added and the
screw in light was too close to the tank/amazon sword plant)
Automatic feeder which always works properly ever since I elevated it
1 foot above the water's surface even with all of the bubbles popping
at the surface
I think it's a 150 watt ebo jager heater
Plenty of filtration (biowheel pro 60 and a fluval 104 canister
filter (separate))(1 sponge air operated filter)
Ever since adding salt to this tank the fancy guppies have thrived
(not too much salt mind you because of the plants and kuhli loaches)
Some plastic plants
Gravel substrate

55 gallon aquarium in the living room
2 silver dollars
Many dozens of fancy guppies
Tons of baby fry fancy guppies
A few leftover white cloud mountain minnows
A lot of java fern
Tons of hornwort
A lot of pond snails
Some plastic plants
80 watts of florescent light (shoplight)
Gravel substrate
Biowheel pro 60, hagen 301 powerhead with prefilter, and temporarily
a HOB filter with prefilter (actually a penguin but cold be any the
way I use it, sponge prefilter) for filtration
1 airstone (tetra deep water 8 air pump I think)
2 250 watt ebo jager heaters
Ever since adding salt the fancy guppies have thrived and the other
fish don't seem to mind the salt (same with the plants)

55 gallon in living room (filled to a height of about 4 inches)
aquarium (vivarium?)
1 fluval 404 canister filter connected in series to a biowheel pro
60
River rock gravel substrate
Tons of thriving fancy guppies
1 large piece of pacific northwest usa (oregon coast) driftwood
A lot of plastic plants for cover
A tupperware filled with dirt, island
Some slate rocks
A basking light
80 watt capacity shoplight with one repti-sun 5.0 40 watt tube/bulb,
and with one standard fluorescent 40 watt tube/bulb
2 250 watt ebo jager (submersible of course) heaters
Biowheel pro 60 is suspended via 2 u bolts on the tank's rim and
airline tubing so that the bottom of the biowheel pro 60's is about
1/2 to 1 inch above the surface of the water in the tank
3 musk stinkpot turtles (apparently very much nocturnal which
surprises me a little)
The turtles eat any snails I put in (pretty cool in my opinion -
escargot!)

I am protected by gfcis for all (one for my bedroom tank, one for the
two living room tanks) tanks, and that pretty much covers my setups,
I'd like more but don't have the funds for any experimental salt
water tanks or large tanks that would require floor reinforcement
plus the electrical costs, but other than that I unfortunately (just
kidding) have MTS!

Old November 12th 05, 01:57 AM
Koi-lo

"Daniel Morrow" wrote in message
Some hornwort (not doing so well)

=================
I have the same hornwart for 15 years. :-) It does best in slightly hard
alkaline water (shaded a bit from the sun outdoors. It's hardy). It can
grow as long as 8' in a 55 gallon tank and is excellent for baby fish to
hide in. I use Flourish with Iron once or twice a month. I also like
Jungle Pond Plant Saver. I use it in the 55s.
--
My Pond & Aquarium Pages:
http://bellsouthpwp.net/s/h/shastadaisy

Old November 12th 05, 03:11 AM
Gill Passman

Bill Stock wrote:
"Gill Passman" wrote in message
.. .

Let's really start sharing here.....

We have seven tanks in our house....

[snip]

Outdoor Pond (500 gallons)
- 9 Ordinary Goldfish
- unknown Fry
- Hornwort
- Water Hyacinth
- Water Lettuce
- Lillies

Indoor Pond (300 Gallons - 1000W)
- currently awaiting the outdoor fish
- maybe a small turtle or two

Basement Tank 1 - GF - (75 Gallon - 160W)
- 4 LARGE ordinary Goldfish
- 1 Fancy Goldfish

Basement Tank 2 - Tropical - (55 Gallon - 192W - CO2)
- 8 Cardinal Tetras
- 6 Rosy Barbs
- 6 Tiger Barbs
- 3 Yoyo Loaches
- 1 or two Otos
- Rose Sword
- Cabomba
- Ludwigia Repens
- Hornworn
- Anubias Barteri

Office Tank (10 Gallons 26W) - Former home to Junior the Betta (RIP)
- 5 Cherry Barbs
- 9 Otos (6 awaiting transfer to the Tropical Tank)
- Two Swords
- Ground Cover

Hospital (5.5 Gallons)
- Empty

I tried to keep my hospital tank empty and then couldn't decide which
betta to buy - so got both - next question is where can I fit a hospital
tank when I go and buy another and what's to stop me filling it with
fish - oh dear....a little discipline required methinks...hey, ho - lets
try and stop LFS's having too many pretty bettas that will live quite
happily in 5 gal tanks....not happening - lol - and I love my bettas :-)
Old November 12th 05, 04:35 AM
TDKozan

Gill Passman wrote:
Let's really start sharing here.....

snip

So these are my current tanks....what are yours?????

Please all share - make this a big post

Gill

Five Bala Sharks, Five Tinfoil Barbs, One pl/eicosta-whatever-a-mus,
Two Angelfish and a half-dozen assorted Guppies in a 47G tank/space
heater in my basement that keep my seven y/o son delighted and me busy
trying to figure out what I'm doing.

TK

--
Cogito ergo bibo
Old November 12th 05, 04:53 AM
Bill Stock

"TDKozan" wrote in message
Gill Passman wrote:
Let's really start sharing here.....

snip

So these are my current tanks....what are yours?????

Please all share - make this a big post

Gill

Five Bala Sharks, Five Tinfoil Barbs, One pl/eicosta-whatever-a-mus, Two
Angelfish and a half-dozen assorted Guppies in a 47G tank/space heater in
my basement that keep my seven y/o son delighted and me busy trying to
figure out what I'm doing.

LOL.

I've often considered adding a Plec-a-whut-mus to the Tropical tank to help
with the Algae.

And I can definitely relate to the keeping me busy trying to figure out
what's going on.

TK

--
Cogito ergo bibo

Bare Bottom Tanks (Was: What freshwater tank-cleaning fish toleratesalt?) Rocco Moretti General 0 October 13th 05 08:25 PM
FW websites- Tanks of the month?? Mike General 4 April 8th 05 08:19 AM
Treating for fleas with Fish Tanks Lady Samsara General 25 February 4th 04 06:10 PM
PetsMart tanks TYNK 7 General 5 January 5th 04 05:10 AM
Update on Tanks ~Vicki ~ Reefs 2 November 11th 03 03:24 AM