Tucson: America's Most Courteous City

Old December 15th 04, 03:08 AM
The Real Bev

Default Tucson: America's Most Courteous City

"Scott en Aztlán" wrote:

> In the past I've related how drivers in Tucson are more "courteous"
> than drivers in other cities. They are constantly doing things like
> stopping to allow someone to pull out of a shopping center driveway in
> front of them (oblivious to the fact that they are needlessly delaying
> 50 other cars that are stuck in the ane behind them).
>
> Yesterday, some "good samaritan" in an SUV was stopped at a 4-way stop
> on the University of Arizona campus. Instead of proceeding when his
> turn came, he remained stopped and waved on not one but TWO
> pedalcyclists, one coming from the left and one from the right. BOTH
> were riding on the sidewalk, and BOTH had stop signs, but Mr. Nice Guy
> waved them on through. Meanwhile, I and several other vehicles were
> stacked up behind.

I was riding my bike as fast as I could in order to make a sharp left
turn across the 50-foot-wide median strip and continue on. There is a
20-foot difference in elevation between the lanes so the hill between is
pretty steep. If I can't get up full speed I have to shift down into my
granny to make it. This happens most frequently when cars coming from
the other direction make left turns down their side of the cross-median
road and just sit there waiting for me to pass, making me slow down and
shift in order to pass in front of them and THEN make the turn. Since I
am zipping diagonally across the three travel lanes heading to the
cross-median lanes, only the very stupid could have any doubt about my
intentions.

But yesterday a real jewel saw what was happening and immediately
finished his turn before I got there, thereby speeding both of us on our
way. I have to believe he was a bicyclist himself and understood the
problem.

Don't bother drawing a diagram, just be happy for me! Every once in a
while something happens that convinces me that the human race is not
totally doomed.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old December 15th 04, 03:16 AM
James C. Reeves

"The Real Bev" > wrote in message
> "Scott en Aztlán" wrote:
>>
>> In the past I've related how drivers in Tucson are more "courteous"
>> than drivers in other cities. They are constantly doing things like
>> stopping to allow someone to pull out of a shopping center driveway in
>> front of them (oblivious to the fact that they are needlessly delaying
>> 50 other cars that are stuck in the ane behind them).
>>
>> Yesterday, some "good samaritan" in an SUV was stopped at a 4-way stop
>> on the University of Arizona campus. Instead of proceeding when his
>> turn came, he remained stopped and waved on not one but TWO
>> pedalcyclists, one coming from the left and one from the right. BOTH
>> were riding on the sidewalk, and BOTH had stop signs, but Mr. Nice Guy
>> waved them on through. Meanwhile, I and several other vehicles were
>> stacked up behind.

> I was riding my bike as fast as I could in order to make a sharp left
> turn across the 50-foot-wide median strip and continue on. There is a
> 20-foot difference in elevation between the lanes so the hill between is
> pretty steep. If I can't get up full speed I have to shift down into my
> granny to make it. This happens most frequently when cars coming from
> the other direction make left turns down their side of the cross-median
> road and just sit there waiting for me to pass, making me slow down and
> shift in order to pass in front of them and THEN make the turn. Since I
> am zipping diagonally across the three travel lanes heading to the
> cross-median lanes, only the very stupid could have any doubt about my
> intentions.
>
> But yesterday a real jewel saw what was happening and immediately
> finished his turn before I got there, thereby speeding both of us on our
> way. I have to believe he was a bicyclist himself and understood the
> problem.
>
> Don't bother drawing a diagram, just be happy for me! Every once in a
> while something happens that convinces me that the human race is not
> totally doomed.
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Bev
> "We've got some stupid people out there. This morning, I woke
> up in a bathtub filled with ice and I had an extra kidney."

The problem is that when a driver goes against protocol, confusion will
occur. With confusion increases the risk of a traffic mishap. People
should follow all right-away rules/laws...take it if it is theirs and
concede it if it isn't. To do the opposite interjects confusion....people
delay since the action is "unexpected", etc. etc. People all of a sudden
don't know what actions will occur next.

Old December 15th 04, 03:16 AM
James C. Reeves

Old December 15th 04, 04:06 AM
Bernard Farquart

"James C. Reeves" > wrote in message

> The problem is that when a driver goes against protocol, confusion will
> occur. With confusion increases the risk of a traffic mishap. People
> should follow all right-away rules/laws...take it if it is theirs and
> concede it if it isn't. To do the opposite interjects confusion....people
> delay since the action is "unexpected", etc. etc. People all of a sudden
> don't know what actions will occur next.

That is the whole problem with "false consideration" it causes
someone to stop, where they could be expected to go. To wait
when they should move, others who are not psychic then have to
react to their un-expected maneuvers.

Bernard

Old December 15th 04, 04:06 AM
Bernard Farquart

Old December 15th 04, 06:31 AM
The Real Bev

Bernard Farquart wrote:

> "James C. Reeves" > wrote:
> >
> > The problem is that when a driver goes against protocol, confusion will
> > occur. With confusion increases the risk of a traffic mishap. People
> > should follow all right-away rules/laws...take it if it is theirs and
> > concede it if it isn't. To do the opposite interjects confusion....people
> > delay since the action is "unexpected", etc. etc. People all of a sudden
> > don't know what actions will occur next.

> That is the whole problem with "false consideration" it causes
> someone to stop, where they could be expected to go. To wait
> when they should move, others who are not psychic then have to
> react to their un-expected maneuvers.

I try to ALWAYS be predictible no matter how many wheels I'm using at
the time. Does this give me the right to shout truly foul things at the
false-courtesy jerks? Hisband thinks I should just say thank you and
move along. I think I should NEVER get in front of anybody that stupid
and that yelling at them is perfectly OK as long as I don't actually
strike them.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old December 15th 04, 06:31 AM
The Real Bev

Old December 15th 04, 09:51 PM
James C. Reeves

"Bernard Farquart" > wrote in message

> "James C. Reeves" > wrote in message
>>
>> The problem is that when a driver goes against protocol, confusion will
>> occur. With confusion increases the risk of a traffic mishap. People
>> should follow all right-away rules/laws...take it if it is theirs and
>> concede it if it isn't. To do the opposite interjects
>> confusion....people delay since the action is "unexpected", etc. etc.
>> People all of a sudden don't know what actions will occur next.

> That is the whole problem with "false consideration" it causes
> someone to stop, where they could be expected to go. To wait
> when they should move, others who are not psychic then have to
> react to their un-expected maneuvers.
>
> Bernard

Boy did I have a typo in that one! "Right-away"? Glad everyone knew I
meant "right-of-way". Those brain farts are killers!

Old December 15th 04, 09:51 PM
James C. Reeves

Old December 16th 04, 02:47 AM
Brent P

In article >, The Real Bev wrote:
> I was riding my bike as fast as I could in order to make a sharp left
> turn across the 50-foot-wide median strip and continue on. There is a
> 20-foot difference in elevation between the lanes so the hill between is
> pretty steep. If I can't get up full speed I have to shift down into my
> granny to make it. This happens most frequently when cars coming from
> the other direction make left turns down their side of the cross-median
> road and just sit there waiting for me to pass, making me slow down and
> shift in order to pass in front of them and THEN make the turn. Since I
> am zipping diagonally across the three travel lanes heading to the
> cross-median lanes, only the very stupid could have any doubt about my
> intentions.

The "consideration" idiots really aggrivate me when I am riding a
bicycle. I know how to ride in traffic and have things timed so I don't
have to scrub off speed, etc and so forth. Instead of driving normally as
I expect, they start to do strange things in the name of being
"considerate". Usually this forces me to slow/stop/evaluate what they are
doing, then sometimes needing to wave them on their way because their
"consideration" is making it dangerous for me proceed. Makes things worse
for me and everybody else on the road.