QT tank delima new sick fish

Old January 10th 06, 04:52 PM posted to rec.ponds

Default QT tank delima new sick fish

Hey all,
I have a few fish in my QT tank ever since the weather turned cold. QT
is just a 10 gallon aquarium. All the fish but one are ready to go back
to the pond. I have a another fish in the pond with a white fungus who
needs treatment: we've been having some wild temperature swings lately.

Can I move the well fish into the pond (there is a significant
temperature difference)? Pond temp is around 55 right now; QT tank is
around 65.

Should I put the fish with fungus in with the almost well fish? The
almost well one was the one who was scaled alive in the skimmer. Almost
all his scales have come back but he as completely different markings
now. He is a much prettier fish with black and orange a white. Before
he was mainly orange and a little white. BTW: I only lost one fish to
the great skimmer disaster of 2005.

Mark B.
Old January 10th 06, 05:41 PM posted to rec.ponds

"mark Bannister" wrote in message
Hey all,
I have a few fish in my QT tank ever since the weather turned cold. QT is
just a 10 gallon aquarium. All the fish but one are ready to go back to
the pond. I have a another fish in the pond with a white fungus who needs
treatment: we've been having some wild temperature swings lately.

Fungus? How is the water QUALITY in your pond? Healthy fish in good water
shouldn't be getting funguses or suffer bacterial infections.

Can I move the well fish into the pond (there is a significant temperature
difference)? Pond temp is around 55 right now; QT tank is around 65.

Float them in a plastic bag for awhile. That's a large difference. How
about a difference in PH between the tank and the pond?

Should I put the fish with fungus in with the almost well fish? The
almost well one was the one who was scaled alive in the skimmer. Almost
all his scales have come back but he as completely different markings now.
He is a much prettier fish with black and orange a white. Before he was
mainly orange and a little white. BTW: I only lost one fish to the great
skimmer disaster of 2005.

Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952
My Pond & Aquarium Pages:
NEW PAGE: Aquariums:
http://bellsouthpwp.net/s/h/shastada...ium-Page4.html
http://bellsouthpwp.net/s/h/shastadaisy
~~~ }((((o ~~~ }{{{{o ~~~ }(((((o

Old January 10th 06, 06:12 PM posted to rec.ponds

Koi-lo wrote:
snip

Fungus? How is the water QUALITY in your pond? Healthy fish in good
water shouldn't be getting funguses or suffer bacterial infections.

Hmmm, water quality has been testing just fine. I haven't checked it
lately. I've been told that water temperature swings are stressful on
the fish and I assumed that was the issue. The fish only got sick when
the temperature swings up or down. When it's 20 degrees F for a week
and then 70's the following week the fish see a pretty wide temp swing.

snip

Float them in a plastic bag for awhile. That's a large difference. How
about a difference in PH between the tank and the pond?

I haven't checked the PH. What would be significant?
Old January 10th 06, 06:36 PM posted to rec.ponds

10o drop is too much in 1 day. 10 gallons is too small for QT, how about a 40 gallon
rubbermaid tub? the fish with white fungus might well be columnaris ... especially
if this is on the caudal puduncle. you need to salt dip this fish, then treat with
potassium permanganate. I wouldnt put the well fish in with the sick one in a 10
gallon. Ingrid

mark Bannister wrote:

[...]

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other
compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for
any of the recommendations I make.
AND I DID NOT AUTHORIZE ADS AT THE OLD PUREGOLD SITE
Old January 10th 06, 09:17 PM posted to rec.ponds

"mark Bannister" wrote in message
Koi-lo wrote:
snip

Fungus? How is the water QUALITY in your pond? Healthy fish in good
water shouldn't be getting funguses or suffer bacterial infections.

Hmmm, water quality has been testing just fine. I haven't checked it
lately.

You may want to check the PH and Nitrate levels for a start. Is there a lot
of rotting leaves and other debris on the pond bottom?

I've been told that water temperature swings are stressful on
the fish and I assumed that was the issue.

Not true unless you drop a fish in water of a much different temperature.
All my smaller pools have temperature swings, just like in nature. The
fish adapt to this natural cycle.

The fish only got sick when
the temperature swings up or down. When it's 20 degrees F for a week and
then 70's the following week the fish see a pretty wide temp swing.

It hasn't affected any of my fish (goldfish, rosy reds and koi).

Float them in a plastic bag for awhile. That's a large difference. How
about a difference in PH between the tank and the pond?

I haven't checked the PH. What would be significant?

I would consider anything less than 6.8 or over 8.8 significant. A nitrate
reading over 40 would also be significant and warrant a partial water
change. Others may have a different opinion.

Old January 10th 06, 09:27 PM posted to rec.ponds

"mark Bannister" wrote in message
10o drop is too much in 1 day. 10 gallons is too small for QT, how about
a 40 gallon
rubbermaid tub? the fish with white fungus might well be columnaris ...
especially
if this is on the caudal puduncle. you need to salt dip this fish, then
treat with
potassium permanganate.

snip

Thanks, yes it is in the caudal peduncle area (course I had to look that
up first
http://www.amonline.net.au/fishes/what/fishfig.htm). 4-5 small
white patches on one side, almost scale size.

Mark B.

=============================
Check a few websites such as www.koivet.com and others before using PP as
this is a product you need to take great care using. My smaller pools will
drop as much as 15F overnight (in spring and fall) without causing a problem
to my koi, rosy reds and goldfish. The only losses I've ever had to such a
drop were tiny fry less than a week old. We had a spring freeze and they
were in a 40 gallon tub. :-(

My fish are healthy and the water quality is good. That may make the
difference. Also, we have no control over nature and natural ponds have the
same temp drops.

Old January 10th 06, 09:40 PM posted to rec.ponds

Koi-lo wrote:
snip

I would consider anything less than 6.8 or over 8.8 significant. A
nitrate reading over 40 would also be significant and warrant a partial
water change. Others may have a different opinion.

Do most people do water changes in Winter? I've been doing them but
less often.
Old January 10th 06, 10:11 PM posted to rec.ponds

"mark Bannister" wrote in message
Koi-lo wrote:
snip

I would consider anything less than 6.8 or over 8.8 significant. A
nitrate reading over 40 would also be significant and warrant a partial
water change. Others may have a different opinion.

Do most people do water changes in Winter? I've been doing them but less
often.

============================
No they don't, not in winter unless there's a problem of some kind that
can't wait. Example = excessively high nitrate readings (or even ammonia in
some cases) or toxic gases building up under excessive amounts of rotting
vegetation on the pond bottom. Sometimes something fell in, died and is
decomposing fouling the water. I just water-changed a tub with a water
lily that had turned "dark" and smelled foul. Somehow an excessive amount
of leaves blew into this tub. There was also the stinky remains of a
frog.... : I'm in zone 6 in the USA.

Old January 11th 06, 01:15 AM posted to rec.ponds

Do most people do water changes in Winter? I've been doing them but
less often.

Same. Depends on the weather. Always good to check your WQ before doing a
water change, to make sure there is no ammonia showing. If the fresh water
going in has a higher pH than the pond, it would make the ammonia more
toxic.

As far moving the fish, I agree with Ingrid.

I also agree with checking the pH before moving them and try to slowly
change the QT (within 0.5 pH) before moving them. ~ jan

http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Defrosted~
Tri-Cities, WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website