Passat TDI Wagon

Old July 21st 05, 08:51 PM

Default Passat TDI Wagon

I have read a few articles about the TDI and I test drove it yesterday.
I am interested in it but the lag below 1900 RPMs was very concerning.
Are there any "simple" modifications that can be made to the car to
improve that 0-20mph lag? By simple I mean adding or modifying the
chip or a minor hardware install.

Does turning off the stabilization affect it at all?

Old July 22nd 05, 01:43 AM
Woodchuck

Yes there is , but that would mean you need a Honda! The TDI is a great car
but does have some trade offs over a gas engine... like only around 100hp.

oups.com...

Old July 22nd 05, 03:16 PM

This was a 2005 Passat TDI Sedan. From 0 - 1900 RPMS(just before the
turbo kicks in) you can floor it or push the pedal halfway down, and
the car accelerates the same. Once you hit 1900 RPMs, yeah, it
accelerates quickly.

Either way it is annoying and I was wondering if anyone knew of a
remedy.

Old July 22nd 05, 03:18 PM

>Yes there is , but that would mean you need a Honda! The TDI is a great car
>but does have some trade offs over a gas engine... like only around 100hp.

Actually it has 134 HP and it is much larger than any of the honda gas
savers.

Old July 22nd 05, 08:52 PM
Tony Bad

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> This was a 2005 Passat TDI Sedan. From 0 - 1900 RPMS(just before the
> turbo kicks in) you can floor it or push the pedal halfway down, and
> the car accelerates the same. Once you hit 1900 RPMs, yeah, it
> accelerates quickly.
>
> Either way it is annoying and I was wondering if anyone knew of a
> remedy.

Was it an automatic? I find that the combination of an auto tranny and TDI
is not as pleasing to drive as a manual.

--
Tony Bad
--------------

02 Jetta Wagon
01 Eurovan MV
91 Jetta 1.6 Diesel
86 Jetta
79 Rabbit 1.5 Diesel (semi-retired for now)
Schwinn Continental 10 Speed
Radio Flyer Pedal Car (my daughter made me add this)

Old July 22nd 05, 09:09 PM
Joseph Meehan

Tony Bad wrote:
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> This was a 2005 Passat TDI Sedan. From 0 - 1900 RPMS(just before the
>> turbo kicks in) you can floor it or push the pedal halfway down, and
>> the car accelerates the same. Once you hit 1900 RPMs, yeah, it
>> accelerates quickly.
>>
>> Either way it is annoying and I was wondering if anyone knew of a
>> remedy.
>>

> Was it an automatic? I find that the combination of an auto tranny
> and TDI is not as pleasing to drive as a manual.

That might be it. Frankly with a manual, I find it has plenty of kick
at low RPMs.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Old July 22nd 05, 09:30 PM

I am looking at the wagon and it only comes in automatic.

Maybe I will just get the A3 instead.

Old July 22nd 05, 09:41 PM
Tony Bad

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> I am looking at the wagon and it only comes in automatic.
>
> Maybe I will just get the A3 instead.

I can't understand who at VW makes these decisions. I live in NY, so I can't
get ANY TDI, but why do they think people only want an automatic in this
car? If you are interested, you should try driving a TDI with a manual
(Jetta or Golf). You will see it feels like a very different animal then one
with an automatic transmission. That lag issue is not an issue and it pulls
nicely from all speeds.

Good luck with your choices!

--
Tony Bad
--------------

Old July 22nd 05, 09:58 PM
HooHa

"Tony Bad" > wrote in message

> > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> I am looking at the wagon and it only comes in automatic.
>>
>> Maybe I will just get the A3 instead.
>>

> I can't understand who at VW makes these decisions. I live in NY, so I
> can't
> get ANY TDI, but why do they think people only want an automatic in this
> car? If you are interested, you should try driving a TDI with a manual
> (Jetta or Golf). You will see it feels like a very different animal then
> one
> with an automatic transmission. That lag issue is not an issue and it
> pulls
> nicely from all speeds.
>
> Good luck with your choices!

I just gave the local dealership my annual phone call:

me) Hi - did you get the new TDI's?
dlr) Sure did - come on over
me) Well, wait a second. Can I get a Passat TDI with a manual tranny yet?
dlr) Um. No...
me) Can I get a Golf TDI with leather or leatherette?
dlr) Er, no... cloth only. But how about a Jetta?
me) No thanks. Golf TDI or Passat TDI. Manual tranny, leather or
leatherette.
dlr) But
me) Bye