5-20 oil

Old July 21st 05, 12:39 AM
General Schvantzkoph

On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 22:50:36 +0000, Richard wrote:

> > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>>

>> Daniel J. Stern wrote:

>>> All the major makers.

>>> But this is the present!

>> Is 5-20w now the recommended oil for the 3.3/3.8? My 1993 3.3 calls for
>> 5-30.
>>
>> -Kirk Matheson

> If you live in a hot location 5W-30 might be a good choice. Mobil 1 comes in
> both a 5W-20 and 5W-30 selection. That's what I use and I change at the
> recommended extended change schedule of 7,500 miles or so.
>
> Richard.

I'm about to do the first oil change for my new 300C, should I do standard
or synthetic? I've used Mobil 1 for the past 30 years, does it make sense
to continue using it or are modern 5W-20 oils as good or better then Mobil
1?

Old July 21st 05, 01:51 AM
Matt Whiting

General Schvantzkoph wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Jul 2005 22:50:36 +0000, Richard wrote:
>

> wrote in message
roups.com...

>>>Is 5-20w now the recommended oil for the 3.3/3.8? My 1993 3.3 calls for
>>>5-30.
>>>
>>>-Kirk Matheson

>>If you live in a hot location 5W-30 might be a good choice. Mobil 1 comes in
>>both a 5W-20 and 5W-30 selection. That's what I use and I change at the
>>recommended extended change schedule of 7,500 miles or so.
>>
>>Richard.

> I'm about to do the first oil change for my new 300C, should I do standard
> or synthetic? I've used Mobil 1 for the past 30 years, does it make sense
> to continue using it or are modern 5W-20 oils as good or better then Mobil
> 1?

They aren't as good as Mobil 1.

Matt
Old July 21st 05, 05:04 PM
Robert Meyer

"General Schvantzkoph" > wrote in message
news oil change for my new 300C, should I do standard
> or synthetic? I've used Mobil 1 for the past 30 years, does it make sense
> to continue using it or are modern 5W-20 oils as good or better then Mobil
> 1?

The UOAs for SL/SM IL-4 dino 5w-20s are just as good as for synth. The
owners manual says you can use synth, but you have to change it at the Sched
A or B intervals to maintain your warranty, so no real savings in terms of
fewer changes. Your call...

bob

Old July 21st 05, 05:40 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005, Alex Rodriguez wrote:

> >5w20 is being recommended by lots of automakers in their North
> >American-market vehicles for fuel economy certification reasons. The
> >same engines in the same cars often call for 5w30 in other markets.
> >This does not mean older vehicles should be switched to 5w20.

> This sounds reasonable. But I would say it is not working. My T&C with
> a 3.8 engine gets horrible mileage in city driving, under 15mpg. On the
> highway it does ok, about 24mpg.

Not the point -- the point is to squeak another fraction of an MPG in on
the Federal fuel economy and emission certification tests, NOT to offer
the consumer measurably better on-road fuel mileage.

Old July 21st 05, 05:49 PM
General Schvantzkoph

On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 11:04:10 -0500, Robert Meyer wrote:

> "General Schvantzkoph" > wrote in message
> news > oil change for my new 300C, should I do standard
>> or synthetic? I've used Mobil 1 for the past 30 years, does it make sense
>> to continue using it or are modern 5W-20 oils as good or better then Mobil
>> 1?

> The UOAs for SL/SM IL-4 dino 5w-20s are just as good as for synth. The
> owners manual says you can use synth, but you have to change it at the Sched
> A or B intervals to maintain your warranty, so no real savings in terms of
> fewer changes. Your call...
>
> bob

My reasons for using Mobil 1 has always been for it's cold weather
starting characteristics, not for it's extended life. Mobil 1 flows at
very low temperatures, it was developed to work at -30 or -40F as I
recall. At -10F, which is about as cold as it gets in New England, how do
modern oils behave as compared to Mobil 1? Back when Mobil 1 was developed
conventional oils were sludge at those temperatures, but that was 30 years
ago.

Old July 21st 05, 10:46 PM
Matt Whiting

General Schvantzkoph wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Jul 2005 11:04:10 -0500, Robert Meyer wrote:
>

>>"General Schvantzkoph" > wrote in message
>>news >>oil change for my new 300C, should I do standard
>>
>>>or synthetic? I've used Mobil 1 for the past 30 years, does it make sense
>>>to continue using it or are modern 5W-20 oils as good or better then Mobil
>>>1?

>>The UOAs for SL/SM IL-4 dino 5w-20s are just as good as for synth. The
>>owners manual says you can use synth, but you have to change it at the Sched
>>A or B intervals to maintain your warranty, so no real savings in terms of
>>fewer changes. Your call...
>>
>>bob

> My reasons for using Mobil 1 has always been for it's cold weather
> starting characteristics, not for it's extended life. Mobil 1 flows at
> very low temperatures, it was developed to work at -30 or -40F as I
> recall. At -10F, which is about as cold as it gets in New England, how do
> modern oils behave as compared to Mobil 1? Back when Mobil 1 was developed
> conventional oils were sludge at those temperatures, but that was 30 years
> ago.

That is also the main reason I use it. However, it also is more stable
at very high temperatures and this is important in many locales as well.
Minivans seem to me to run very hot compared to other vehicles I own
and have owned. The temp gauge has no absolute temperature numbers so
I'm not sure how hot it really is, but I know when I open the hood on a
hot day I can't even touch the prop rod to hold the hood open.

Matt
Old July 22nd 05, 12:27 AM
Bill Putney

Daniel J. Stern wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Jul 2005, Alex Rodriguez wrote:
>

>>>5w20 is being recommended by lots of automakers in their North
>>>American-market vehicles for fuel economy certification reasons. The
>>>same engines in the same cars often call for 5w30 in other markets.
>>>This does not mean older vehicles should be switched to 5w20.

>>This sounds reasonable. But I would say it is not working. My T&C with
>>a 3.8 engine gets horrible mileage in city driving, under 15mpg. On the
>>highway it does ok, about 24mpg.

> Not the point -- the point is to squeak another fraction of an MPG in on
> the Federal fuel economy and emission certification tests, NOT to offer
> the consumer measurably better on-road fuel mileage.

And way secondary to the squeezing of another fraction of an MPG is
improving engine life. Not that it will necessarily lead to
catastrophic failure or gross reduction in useful life, but there is
bound to be incremental cost in engine life. IOW, will they do put
value on engine life, when they get an opportunity to trade off a
miniscule gain in MPG for slight or moderate loss in engine life, they
will take it. Compare that the manufacturer's recommendations in
countries with similar ambient temperatures that don't have CAFE rules
are for thicker oils(we're talking similar vehicle/identical engine.

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')
Old July 22nd 05, 12:31 AM
Bill Putney

Bill Putney wrote:

Mis-typed - should have said:

> ...IOW, **while** they do put
> value on engine life, when they get an opportunity to trade off a
> miniscule gain in MPG for slight or moderate loss in engine life, they
> will take it.

Bill Putney
adddress with the letter 'x')
Old July 22nd 05, 03:55 PM
Robert Meyer

"General Schvantzkoph" > wrote in message
news
> My reasons for using Mobil 1 has always been for it's cold weather
> starting characteristics, not for it's extended life. Mobil 1 flows at
> very low temperatures, it was developed to work at -30 or -40F as I
> recall. At -10F, which is about as cold as it gets in New England, how do
> modern oils behave as compared to Mobil 1? Back when Mobil 1 was developed
> conventional oils were sludge at those temperatures, but that was 30 years
> ago.

check the threads

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/...c;f=3;t=002228

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/...c;f=3;t=001244