Do you back into your driveway?

Old July 16th 05, 11:57 PM
Dave Balderstone

In article >, Bob Ward
> wrote:

> On 15 Jul 2005 16:43:21 -0700, wrote:
>
> >I front in *AND* front out of my driveway! All you need is a circular
> >driveway.

> Actually, a half-circle will suffice.

I had a circular driveway once. When we moved, I had to leave the car.
Couldn't get it onto the street.

One site: <http://www.balderstone.ca>
The other site, with ww links<http://www.woodenwabbits.com>
Old July 17th 05, 12:22 AM
QB3

It's a guy thing. Most of the people I see backing in are men. Women
almost never do it.

It's a safety thing for me. Be it a driveway or a parking space, I have a
much clearer view of the spot as I drive up to it, and I can then safely
back into the space, right after I have observed it.

When I am leaving, my observation of potential obstacles happens as I walk
up to the vehicle and a few dozen seconds may pass before I actually drive
out of the space. That's too much time, and animals and children have too
great an opportunity to wander into the danger zone.

I live on a quiet street and don't normally have any vehicles behind me when
I attempt to park. There are a lot of pedestrians in our neighborhood,
though. The young ones are what I seek to avoid. The older ones usually
know better than to walk behind a running vehicle when they can't see the
driver's eyes in the mirror.

My pickup truck and SUV have less visibility to the rear than most sedans.
That reality demands back-in parking. I've been doing it for years, and it
works for me. Lots of guys in our neighborhood do it. Something else may
work for you.

Old July 17th 05, 12:36 AM
QB3

"fbloogyudsr" > wrote in message
> "Skip Elliott Bowman" > wrote
> > For some reason, some parking lots have signs that state "Front-In

Parking
> > Only". I have no idea what's up with that.

> Generally, they're so that the longer rear overhang of the car doesn't
> block the sidewalk or hit something beyond the bump stop.
>
> Floyd

Yeah, I agree with that. In Virginia, with license plates front and rear,
it is a reasonable explanation for the signs. I've seen them in areas where
stone walls were in front of the spaces and places where cars in the next
row might be hit by those backing in (with sufficient overhang).

Old July 17th 05, 09:29 AM
Pooh Bear

G Henslee wrote:

> Some cities
> allow so many hours a month that the boat or RV can be parked on the
> property.

And this in the 'land of the free' !!!!! ?????

Astonishing.

Graahm

Old July 17th 05, 12:36 PM
KLS

On 16 Jul 2005 15:21:01 -0700, "Ed Stasiak" > wrote:

>I've always understood that it was a state ordnance

Perhaps you intended to use that last word, so if you did, your
sentence is funny. If, however, you intended to refer to a type of
law, the spelling is "ordinance."
Old July 17th 05, 04:12 PM
Matthew Russotto

In article .com>,
Ed Stasiak > wrote:

>But I shouldn't have look at you blue tarp wrapped castle
>sized motorhome 364 days a year when I'm trying to relax
>in my backyard.

You, in your backyard, are an eyesore. Maybe we can ban you?

>And people who paid 2-3x that much for their home don't
>want to look out their window day after day and see your
>camper/boat parked behind your garage, (out of sight for
>you but right in my line of sight) wrapped in tarps with
>knee high grass growing around it and varmints raising
>babies underneath it.

And what makes them entitled to control everything within their line
of sight?
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old July 17th 05, 05:03 PM
Ed Stasiak

> Matthew Russotto wrote
> > Ed Stasiak wrote
> >
> > But I shouldn't have look at your blue tarp wrapped castle
> > sized motorhome 364 days a year when I'm trying to relax
> > in my backyard.

> You, in your backyard, are an eyesore.

What, you don't like my neon green fish-net Speedos?....

Old July 17th 05, 06:11 PM
Skip Elliott Bowman

"Matthew Russotto" > wrote in message
> In article .com>,
> Ed Stasiak > wrote:
>
>>But I shouldn't have look at you blue tarp wrapped castle
>>sized motorhome 364 days a year when I'm trying to relax
>>in my backyard.

> You, in your backyard, are an eyesore. Maybe we can ban you?

People have a reasonable expectation of privacy in their backyards, no
matter what they look like. That's a lot different than using the
right-of-way to store a land whale; you can't help but see that.

>>And people who paid 2-3x that much for their home don't
>>want to look out their window day after day and see your
>>camper/boat parked behind your garage, (out of sight for
>>you but right in my line of sight) wrapped in tarps with
>>knee high grass growing around it and varmints raising
>>babies underneath it.

> And what makes them entitled to control everything within their line
> of sight?

Maybe not everything, but there are some things that can be controlled. If
it's off the right-of-way and is creating a hazard by restricting view of
the street from others, or drawing vermin, I'd have a problem too.

Old July 17th 05, 10:19 PM
John David Galt

>>> That's been the law in my home town in metro Detroit
>>> for years, you have to store your boat or camper in
>>> the garage and if it don't fit, then it will have to
>>> go to a storage facility.

>> Rotten place to live.

> Not at all, it keeps the city from looking like a storage
> lot.

Mere aesthetics are not proper cause for a law.

> But I shouldn't have look at you blue tarp wrapped castle
> sized motorhome 364 days a year when I'm trying to relax
> in my backyard.

Yes, you should. You are not entitled to a nice view onto
someone else's property. It's his, not yours. If you don't
want to see it, put up a higher fence.

> It's the equivalent of putting a car up on cinder blocks
> like a hillbilly, it's an eye-sore.

The same principle applies there too.