Bringing Bug back to life

Old July 6th 05, 05:26 AM
Gordon Parks

Default Bringing Bug back to life

I just bought a 70 Baja bug that has been sitting in the previous owners
garage for about 2 years. He said it ran great when he stopped driving it. I
put in a new battery, changed the oil and put two gallons of fresh gas in
the tank since he didn't know how much it had in it. (Gas gauge is
supposedly inaccurate under 1/4 tank) I also added some gas line dryer
(Heet) in case there is any water in the gas. It fired up after priming the
carb and after a few restarts to fill the gas line it idles OK. The oil
light went out and stays out while it is running. (Don't have the tools to
check oil pressure) The problem comes when I try to give it any gas. It just
dies unless I pump the pedal and it wont stay running if I stop. I am
thinking the carb may be clogged up and need a rebuild. The carb is a Weber
progressive.Am I on the right track here? Is there anything else I should be
checking? The car is still in the previous owners garage and he says I can
keep it there a few days to get it running but it sure would be nice to get
it running well enough to get it home. (About 5 blocks) I may have to break
down and have it towed but I would still have the problem.

Old July 6th 05, 04:59 PM
Christian M. Mericle

Since it's been sitting, be sure to check the brake lines. Also, if
the fuel lines are rubber, I would replace all of them.

-- Christian
'71 Bus -- Turtle

Save Darfur -- http://www.savedarfur.org/
World Vision (Darfur) -- http://donate.wvus.org/OA_HTML/xxwvi...item=107218 2
ICC (Sudan) -- http://www.persecution.org/Countries/sudan.html
Old July 6th 05, 07:02 PM
Seth Graham

On 2005-07-06, Gordon Parks > wrote:
> check oil pressure) The problem comes when I try to give it any gas. It just
> dies unless I pump the pedal and it wont stay running if I stop. I am
> thinking the carb may be clogged up and need a rebuild. The carb is a Weber

I saw this also when reviving a dormant bug.

I blamed it on old gas, after draining the bowl in the carb and the tank
and putting in fresh fuel it ran fine. You may want to rebuild the
caburetor anyways because sitting gas can gunk up the works, but I would
guess a complete purge of old fuel would be able to get you home.

Old July 7th 05, 04:06 AM
Bryan

"Christian M. Mericle" > wrote in message
> Since it's been sitting, be sure to check the brake lines. Also, if
> the fuel lines are rubber, I would replace all of them.
>
> -- Christian
> '71 Bus -- Turtle

Good advice.

There are 2 kinds of VWs. Those that have caught fire, and those that will
catch fire.

Watch the fuel lines and fuel pump.

Bryan

Old July 7th 05, 04:17 AM
Gordon Parks

I drained some of the gas into a glass jar and let it sit for about 30 min.
There was the culprit! Not a lot of water but it was there. I drained the
tank and carb bowl as you suggested and refilled with fresh gas and another
bottle of Heet just to make sure. It started right up and runs a lot better.
I was able to drive it home, but there is still a serious lack of power
there. Time for a real tune up and possibly fresh plug wires.

Thanks for the help!

Old July 7th 05, 04:31 AM
MUADIB®

On Thu, 07 Jul 2005 03:17:49 GMT, "Gordon Parks" >
wrote:

>I drained some of the gas into a glass jar and let it sit for about 30 min.
>There was the culprit! Not a lot of water but it was there. I drained the
>tank and carb bowl as you suggested and refilled with fresh gas and another
>bottle of Heet just to make sure. It started right up and runs a lot better.
>I was able to drive it home, but there is still a serious lack of power
>there. Time for a real tune up and possibly fresh plug wires.

Most of the power issue can likely be cured by adjusting points if it
has points.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/sster...IN%20PAGE.html

If A Quiz is Quizical,
What is a test?

The Peacemaking Meeting scheduled for today has been
cancelled due to a conflict.
Old July 7th 05, 04:36 AM
remco

"Bryan" > wrote in message

> "Christian M. Mericle" > wrote in message
> > Since it's been sitting, be sure to check the brake lines. Also, if
> > the fuel lines are rubber, I would replace all of them.
> >
> > -- Christian
> > '71 Bus -- Turtle
> >

> Good advice.
>
> There are 2 kinds of VWs. Those that have caught fire, and those that

will
> catch fire.

LOL!! that's funny - thanks!

Old July 7th 05, 05:13 AM
Bryan

"remco" > wrote in message

> "Bryan" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Christian M. Mericle" > wrote in message
>> > Since it's been sitting, be sure to check the brake lines. Also, if
>> > the fuel lines are rubber, I would replace all of them.
>> >
>> > -- Christian
>> > '71 Bus -- Turtle
>> >

>> Good advice.
>>
>> There are 2 kinds of VWs. Those that have caught fire, and those that

> will
>> catch fire.
>>

> LOL!! that's funny - thanks!

Ya know, I wish it were funny. But both my VWs suffered fires before I
purchased them.

Last year, I started the Bus and opened the lid, frickin' fuel lines dumping
gas everywhere....

This spring I started the bug after a winter in the garage, fuel pouring out
of the fuel pump...

And then I saw the episode on Cops, a house burning down, fire started by
dude working on VW Bus.

Safety first. Know your VW.

Bryan