Spark options after HEI install?

Old June 22nd 05, 12:00 AM
Pi-Eyed Piper

Default Spark options after HEI install?

So what are some spark options after I get done my HEI install this weekend?
Is it a really bad idea to run 7MM wires?

thanks

Old June 22nd 05, 12:27 PM
DougW

Pi-Eyed Piper did pass the time by typing:
> So what are some spark options after I get done my HEI install this weekend?
> Is it a really bad idea to run 7MM wires?

I don't see why apart from they usually don't fit the stock looms.
Frankly I run 6mm on the ZJ but then again it's not pushing spark
very far on an I6.

--
DougW

Old June 22nd 05, 04:02 PM
Pi-Eyed Piper

The HEI puts out about 33,000 volts compared to I think 17,000 volts on a
stock ignition I think.. I wouldn't think stock wires would be enough.

Old June 24th 05, 02:04 AM
Jumpin' Jiminy

On Tue, 21 Jun 2005 23:00:47 GMT, "Pi-Eyed Piper" >
wrote:

>So what are some spark options after I get done my HEI install this weekend?
>Is it a really bad idea to run 7MM wires?
>
>thanks

I upgraded my 85 cj7 to an HEI and the best advice I can give you is
to power the HEI directly from the battery and switch it with a relay.
I mounted my relay beside the starter solenoid and used the +12v
connector on the solenoid for a power source.
The difference from running it off the switched power circuit is very
noticeable.
I don't know about the 7mm wires though. It can only result in a drop
in performance so why bother.
Other issues I had were with the oil dipstick placement and an overly
efficient relay that would stay powered on at 7v. This meant there was
enough residual from the alternator to keep it energized. Wiring it to
the other switched 12v cct meant no spark when cranking over. I solved
this with a diode OR to the starter solenoid. This circuit becomes
freed up when you lose the old ignition.
I presume you have the needed gear? The gear from my old distributor
had too large a diameter hole and was unuseable. I have heard that
with some distributors the old gear just has to be ground down.
This wasn't true in my case.
I'm tempted to try the Crane adjustable centrifugal advance kit. It's
supposed to increase the power band a bit.

JJ

Old June 24th 05, 02:22 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Even more than that. Ford and GM run about seven thousand volts,
that's why they gapped at .065" and spread the cap out to prevent
crossfire.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old June 24th 05, 03:12 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Correction, 48kV:
http://www.lildevilmotorsports.com/p...oducts_id=3215

Old June 24th 05, 06:26 PM
Pi-Eyed Piper

So are stock wires enough? Do I just regap my stock plugs, or get the plug
reccomended for that year GM vehicle the HEI came out of?

Old June 24th 05, 06:28 PM
Pi-Eyed Piper

The HEI I bought came out of a guys CJ, the gear is there, I asled him. and
I THINK the wires are already 7mm...

Old June 24th 05, 06:30 PM
Pi-Eyed Piper

are you happy with what it did for your heep?

Old June 24th 05, 07:26 PM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Always use the spark plugs designed for the engine. You see the
electrode is at different lengths to place the initial combustion
ignition at a point, otherwise the explosion will bounce all over the
place, burning holes in the piston along with an annoying ping. And I
think I would use the same .025" gap, but use the heavier wires.
Remember not to touch them with oily fingers, whatever they use devolves
in it.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/