OT Another good day to live

Old June 10th 05, 02:25 PM
Shag

Default OT Another good day to live

Whoooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!! What a rush!!!!! Decided to ride the bike
in to work again today and it was almost my last trip. I stopped on
Six Forks Road heading north to wait for oncoming southbound traffic
to clear so I could make a left turn. That portion of Six Forks road
has one lane heading north, one heading south. No traffic light at
that intersection. So when someone stops at the intersection where I
stopped, traffic behind them has to wait for them or drive around them
on the right by driving off of the side of the road. It's pretty rough
there so it's only safe to drive around at probably 10 mph or so. So
I'm sitting there in the leftmost portion of my lane in case someone
wants to drive around when I heard it. That sound. The sound nobody
wants to hear. The sound of tires on pavement starting to squeal as if
though they are on the verge of locking up. I look up in my side
mirror and sure enough... a white pickup truck is coming up on my ass
FAST. I could tell he was having trouble controlling his truck. I
didn't have time to think or do ANYTHING. Apparently he figured out
that there was no way he was going to be able to stop in time so he let
off of his brakes and at the last second he ran off the road on the
right and passed me at about 50 mph. Came within about a foot of me,
but it felt like a couple of inches. I could feel the blast of air
from his truck as he passed me. Hair stood up on the back of my neck.
Man, that will make you aware of your mortality in a hurry. Another
car stopped behind me a few seconds later, southbound traffic cleared,
and I was on my way. There was a woman sitting at the intersection in
her van who had been waiting to turn southbound onto Six Forks who saw
the whole thing. As I rode past her, she had a look on her face that
said "Dude, you *almost* just got killed." Yeah, no kiddin'. Maybe I
should get one of those strobing brake light thingies too. Me - 1.
Death - 0. Y'all almost lost me today. :-)

Old June 10th 05, 03:22 PM
Mac

"Shag" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Whoooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!! What a rush!!!!! Decided to ride the bike
> in to work again today and it was almost my last trip. I stopped on
> Six Forks Road heading north to wait for oncoming southbound traffic
> to clear so I could make a left turn. That portion of Six Forks road
> has one lane heading north, one heading south. No traffic light at
> that intersection. So when someone stops at the intersection where I
> stopped, traffic behind them has to wait for them or drive around them
> on the right by driving off of the side of the road. It's pretty rough
> there so it's only safe to drive around at probably 10 mph or so. So
> I'm sitting there in the leftmost portion of my lane in case someone
> wants to drive around when I heard it. That sound. The sound nobody
> wants to hear. The sound of tires on pavement starting to squeal as if
> though they are on the verge of locking up. I look up in my side
> mirror and sure enough... a white pickup truck is coming up on my ass
> FAST. I could tell he was having trouble controlling his truck. I
> didn't have time to think or do ANYTHING. Apparently he figured out
> that there was no way he was going to be able to stop in time so he let
> off of his brakes and at the last second he ran off the road on the
> right and passed me at about 50 mph. Came within about a foot of me,
> but it felt like a couple of inches. I could feel the blast of air
> from his truck as he passed me. Hair stood up on the back of my neck.
> Man, that will make you aware of your mortality in a hurry. Another
> car stopped behind me a few seconds later, southbound traffic cleared,
> and I was on my way. There was a woman sitting at the intersection in
> her van who had been waiting to turn southbound onto Six Forks who saw
> the whole thing. As I rode past her, she had a look on her face that
> said "Dude, you *almost* just got killed." Yeah, no kiddin'. Maybe I
> should get one of those strobing brake light thingies too. Me - 1.
> Death - 0. Y'all almost lost me today. :-)

You lucky SOB!!!! Thank god the person seen you at the last second! Glad
you didn't get creamed.

Mac

Old June 10th 05, 03:25 PM
Mac

"Mac .net>" <talon1@<spam> wrote in message

> "Shag" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> Whoooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!! What a rush!!!!! Decided to ride the bike
>> in to work again today and it was almost my last trip. I stopped on
>> Six Forks Road heading north to wait for oncoming southbound traffic
>> to clear so I could make a left turn. That portion of Six Forks road
>> has one lane heading north, one heading south. No traffic light at
>> that intersection. So when someone stops at the intersection where I
>> stopped, traffic behind them has to wait for them or drive around them
>> on the right by driving off of the side of the road. It's pretty rough
>> there so it's only safe to drive around at probably 10 mph or so. So
>> I'm sitting there in the leftmost portion of my lane in case someone
>> wants to drive around when I heard it. That sound. The sound nobody
>> wants to hear. The sound of tires on pavement starting to squeal as if
>> though they are on the verge of locking up. I look up in my side
>> mirror and sure enough... a white pickup truck is coming up on my ass
>> FAST. I could tell he was having trouble controlling his truck. I
>> didn't have time to think or do ANYTHING. Apparently he figured out
>> that there was no way he was going to be able to stop in time so he let
>> off of his brakes and at the last second he ran off the road on the
>> right and passed me at about 50 mph. Came within about a foot of me,
>> but it felt like a couple of inches. I could feel the blast of air
>> from his truck as he passed me. Hair stood up on the back of my neck.
>> Man, that will make you aware of your mortality in a hurry. Another
>> car stopped behind me a few seconds later, southbound traffic cleared,
>> and I was on my way. There was a woman sitting at the intersection in
>> her van who had been waiting to turn southbound onto Six Forks who saw
>> the whole thing. As I rode past her, she had a look on her face that
>> said "Dude, you *almost* just got killed." Yeah, no kiddin'. Maybe I
>> should get one of those strobing brake light thingies too. Me - 1.
>> Death - 0. Y'all almost lost me today. :-)

> You lucky SOB!!!! Thank god the person seen you at the last second! Glad
> you didn't get creamed.
>
> Mac

Don't mind my grammar....... too early in the A.M.

Old June 10th 05, 03:33 PM
Tim Rogers

"Shag" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Whoooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!! What a rush!!!!! Decided to ride the bike
> in to work again today and it was almost my last trip..........snip

...................All joking and lecturing aside, you now know why I'm
scared to death of riding on a two-wheeler on the same roads with
four -wheeled vehicles driven by dangerous idiots. Life is short enough as
it is. Offroading on a dirt bike? Yeah, I could get interested. At least
then, I'd know that I was in control of my own fate.

Old June 10th 05, 04:19 PM
TerryB

Shag wrote:
> Whoooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!! What a rush!!!!! Decided to ride the bike
> in to work again today and it was almost my last trip. I stopped on
> Six Forks Road heading north to wait for oncoming southbound traffic

As I rode past her, she had a look on her face that
> said "Dude, you *almost* just got killed." Yeah, no kiddin'. Maybe I
> should get one of those strobing brake light thingies too. Me - 1.
> Death - 0. Y'all almost lost me today. :-)

Hmmm, am I in your will to get the rail? Just kidding!!!

Glad you are OK and still here to keep us pumped up with your
adventures!!

Old June 10th 05, 08:58 PM
Shag

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 14:33:54 GMT, "Tim Rogers" >
wrote:

>"Shag" > wrote in message
oups.com...

>> Whoooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!! What a rush!!!!! Decided to ride the bike
>> in to work again today and it was almost my last trip..........snip
>>

>..................All joking and lecturing aside, you now know why I'm
>scared to death of riding on a two-wheeler on the same roads with
>four -wheeled vehicles driven by dangerous idiots.

Cuz you're a wuss? ;-)

Old June 10th 05, 09:45 PM
johnboy

I have been hit from behind on a motorcycle twice. Both times by airhead,
single, thirty-something women.

Old June 10th 05, 09:49 PM
Joey Tribiani

"Shag" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Whoooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!! What a rush!!!!! Decided to ride the bike
> in to work again today and it was almost my last trip. I stopped on
> Six Forks Road heading north to wait for oncoming southbound traffic
> to clear so I could make a left turn. That portion of Six Forks road
> has one lane heading north, one heading south. No traffic light at
> that intersection. So when someone stops at the intersection where I
> stopped, traffic behind them has to wait for them or drive around them
> on the right by driving off of the side of the road. It's pretty rough
> there so it's only safe to drive around at probably 10 mph or so. So
> I'm sitting there in the leftmost portion of my lane in case someone
> wants to drive around when I heard it. That sound. The sound nobody
> wants to hear. The sound of tires on pavement starting to squeal as if
> though they are on the verge of locking up. I look up in my side
> mirror and sure enough... a white pickup truck is coming up on my ass
> FAST. I could tell he was having trouble controlling his truck. I
> didn't have time to think or do ANYTHING. Apparently he figured out
> that there was no way he was going to be able to stop in time so he let
> off of his brakes and at the last second he ran off the road on the
> right and passed me at about 50 mph. Came within about a foot of me,
> but it felt like a couple of inches. I could feel the blast of air
> from his truck as he passed me. Hair stood up on the back of my neck.
> Man, that will make you aware of your mortality in a hurry. Another
> car stopped behind me a few seconds later, southbound traffic cleared,
> and I was on my way. There was a woman sitting at the intersection in
> her van who had been waiting to turn southbound onto Six Forks who saw
> the whole thing. As I rode past her, she had a look on her face that
> said "Dude, you *almost* just got killed." Yeah, no kiddin'. Maybe I
> should get one of those strobing brake light thingies too. Me - 1.
> Death - 0. Y'all almost lost me today. :-)

glad you came out okay....never forget you have a pretty powerful machine
that can accellerate quickly.....good chance he never would have gotten past
me on the right before i was out of the way....have had to miss a turn
before due to similar situations....repeat after me "twist and dump"

Old June 10th 05, 10:03 PM
Shag

On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 16:49:22 -0400, "Joey Tribiani" >
wrote:

>glad you came out okay....never forget you have a pretty powerful machine
>that can accellerate quickly.....good chance he never would have gotten past
>me on the right before i was out of the way....have had to miss a turn
>before due to similar situations....repeat after me "twist and dump"

Yeah, but in this particular case I really didn't have the time. From
the time I saw the truck to the time he passed me, I'd bet that less
than 2 seconds passed. He must not have seen me until he was about
6-7 car-lengths away from me. He was ON MY ASS when I first spotted
him and moving FAST. I just got lucky, plain and simple.

Old June 10th 05, 10:33 PM
Joey Tribiani

"Shag" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 10 Jun 2005 16:49:22 -0400, "Joey Tribiani" >
> wrote:
>

>>glad you came out okay....never forget you have a pretty powerful machine
>>that can accellerate quickly.....good chance he never would have gotten
>>past
>>me on the right before i was out of the way....have had to miss a turn
>>before due to similar situations....repeat after me "twist and dump"
>>

> Yeah, but in this particular case I really didn't have the time. From
> the time I saw the truck to the time he passed me, I'd bet that less
> than 2 seconds passed. He must not have seen me until he was about
> 6-7 car-lengths away from me. He was ON MY ASS when I first spotted
> him and moving FAST. I just got lucky, plain and simple.

yes, i see....you were lucky....I to at times find myself moving to the far
extreme of the lane just for this type of thing, but i sometimes think it
makes you less likely to be seen....so i tend to do the "angle" so they can
see more of the bike...i also like to flash my brake light....seems to help,
but how much i'm unsure...have also had close calls such as these.....once
was at a busy intersection...i was first in line, no one behind me.....i had
to dart out into cross traffic and hang a hard right as the car that should
have been stopping *behind* me slid nearly throught the intersection(four
lanes)....scary indeed...

HAVE YOU HEARD THE GOOD NEWS! [email protected] Technology 2 January 28th 05 04:44 PM
HAVE YOU HEARD THE GOOD NEWS! [email protected] VW water cooled 1 January 27th 05 01:42 PM
cooling site tim VW air cooled 13 January 27th 05 05:33 AM
HAVE YOU HEARD THE GOOD NEWS! [email protected] VW water cooled 0 January 26th 05 04:37 AM
Good All Season Tires? Tavish Muldoon VW water cooled 6 October 1st 04 05:17 AM