Shells

Old March 1st 06, 11:32 AM posted to rec.aquaria.misc

Default Shells

Will a moderate sized seashell used as decoration in a tropical tank cause
problems with the water environment? I'd like to use one in my 10 gallon
tank, but don't want it to create disruption in the water or too much stress
for the fish.
Thanks.

Old March 2nd 06, 06:55 AM posted to rec.aquaria.misc

The shell will slowly dissolve in the freshwater and could cause
water issues enough to kill fish. Seashells contain compounds not
found in freshwater, so nature, seeking a balance as always, begins
transferring the compounds to the water.

Not recommended!

billy

Old March 2nd 06, 08:33 PM posted to rec.aquaria.misc

Billy wrote:
The shell will slowly dissolve in the freshwater and could cause
water issues enough to kill fish. Seashells contain compounds not
found in freshwater, so nature, seeking a balance as always, begins
transferring the compounds to the water.

Not recommended!

billy

The calcium carbonate in the seashell will make the water harder and
raise the PH. This is generally not recommended, but it may or may not
cause a problem depending on the condition of your tap water and the
requirements of the particular fish species (freshwater chiclids, for
example, supposedly like it).

- Logic316