Another adaptation Q

Old December 6th 04, 03:34 AM
MUADIB®

Default Another adaptation Q

recently, I acquired a front beam and wheels (centerlines ) that has a
four bolt pattern indicative of 68 and up model year
bugs,................and a swingaxle rearend, indicating an earlier
year model, with some other brand , wide five patterned , wheels
attached to it.decent looking set of wheels, don't have a huge need
for any of the rest of the parts but will probably use the beam for
another project.............

the Question is: will the drums from the swingaxle rearend fit a
double jointed rear axle stub without mods?

Is the "cog" the same or is it shorter or longer or some such issue?

any info to help decide whether or not to use 'em would be
appreciated. I'd like the look of a centerline type wheel on my buggy
considering the price was great.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/sster...IN%20PAGE.html

one small step for man,.....
One giant leap for attorneys.
Old December 9th 04, 01:11 AM
Mark Detro

>the Question is: will the drums from the swingaxle rearend fit a
>double jointed rear axle stub without mods?

Yes and no, You can make the drums fit by using some certian sized bearing
spacers etc.. But they are a skinner drum than the late model 4 lug. I tried
it and I didn't really trust it so I used Thing drums (direct fit).

Mark Detro
Englewood, FL
Old December 9th 04, 03:37 AM
MUADIB®

Well, Thanks for all the input....................LOL

Obviously not much of a normal situation, as no replies would suggest.
Anyways,............If anyone has done the Thing Drums on one, talk to
me, That seems to be th one most suggested, without using the 4lug to
five lug adapters. Mark Detro?????? Google suggests you know something
here.

the most informative post said something about the drums for a thing
are wider than a bug drum???? Make sense? How will that affect the
rears on the Dune Buggy>?? it's a fiberglass body and has no clearance
issues. Is that what is being referred to in post here..........

http://tinyurl.com/5k9xc

anybody else?

Old December 9th 04, 04:34 AM
Mark Detro

>Mark Detro?????? Google suggests you know something
>here.
>
>the most informative post said something about the drums for a thing
>are wider than a bug drum???? Make sense? How will that affect the
>rears on the Dune Buggy>?? it's a fiberglass body and has no clearance
>issues. Is that what is being referred to in post here..........
>
>http://tinyurl.com/5k9xc

Yes, they are wider by about a half inch if memory serves correct. I have them
on my 73' IRS Baja along with 67' Type 1 drums up front to match. All the
brake internals are the same on a 181 so I guess the only reasons VW went wider
was spacing on the 181 and possibly to make it a stronger unit as the bolting
surface is more centered on the hub? (I'm taking a shot in the dark on that
one) Unless you need those tires to inside the well of that buggy I'd say its
irellavent and will actually give you a bit of wider track, which is usually a
"cool" factor on a buggy! adaptors are gonna widen the track a little too.
Mark Detro
Englewood, FL

66' panel
71' westy
73' baja
Old December 10th 04, 03:21 AM
MUADIB®

Excellent Mark, and thank you.
I guess I know where i'll be spending my next Buggy money then.
Anyone think it'd look too stupid with wide fives on back and four lug
on front?
Like I said before,........the price was a significant reason for the
match up. FREE.
Anyon need a swingaxel tranny? Kirk????? I'll make you a deal!
Bring your self on over to the New House in North Garland & I'll let
you have the whole tranny once I get the wheels off of it.
( or anyone else I suppose if Kirk is not interested. )
I just have to figure out how to get the locked lugs out without a key
for them ...............LOL

Old December 10th 04, 03:56 AM
John Willis

On Fri, 10 Dec 2004 02:21:44 GMT, MUADIB®
> scribbled this interesting note:

>I just have to figure out how to get the locked lugs out without a key
>for them ...............LOL

Shouldn't be a problem for you!:~)

--
John Willis
(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)
Old December 11th 04, 01:25 PM
Mark Detro

>>I just have to figure out how to get the locked lugs out without a key
>>for them ...............LOL

I had to fo that once to get too a sweet set of Crager SS wheels with "super
wide" 60's on them out of a junkyard for my 72' buick GS wannabe I had back in
the mid eighties.

used a lifetime warranty socket, a size that will almost but not quite fit
over the lock, and a BFH. (only hand tools allowed in the junkyard)

I cracked 2 sockets by the time I got the set of 4 off but they were easily
replaced for free.
Mark Detro
Englewood, FL

66' panel
71' westy
73' baja
Old December 13th 04, 06:51 PM
Mac

"Mark Detro" > wrote in message
>>>I just have to figure out how to get the locked lugs out without a key
>>>for them ...............LOL

> I had to fo that once to get too a sweet set of Crager SS wheels with
> "super
> wide" 60's on them out of a junkyard for my 72' buick GS wannabe I had
> back in
> the mid eighties.
>
> used a lifetime warranty socket, a size that will almost but not quite
> fit
> over the lock, and a BFH. (only hand tools allowed in the junkyard)
>
> I cracked 2 sockets by the time I got the set of 4 off but they were
> easily
> replaced for free.
> Mark Detro
> Englewood, FL
>
> 66' panel
> 71' westy
> 73' baja

I was taking an 84' Monty Carlo on a road trip years ago and on prepping the
car couldn't find my key for the locking lugnuts. I took it to a local
Firestone dealer and they got them off for about $25. They said they
couldn't promise me anything though.....

Mac

Old December 16th 04, 04:54 AM
MUADIB®

On 11 Dec 2004 12:25:46 GMT, a (Mark Detro) wrote:
Just in case it matters here, these have been boogered a bit already
by a hack of sorts....................I know, I know,.............It
wasn;t me though.........honest............

The locking ones on the rears look like a 17mm internal wrenching with
a Safety center..............'bout a 1/4' diameter. I should be able
to use the die grinder and a grinding piece and do some damage to the
center and use the wrench I mostly use to remove diagonal arms to
remove the lugs.

I actually used the method you described as a way to remove the set
from the fronts..............they came off fairly easy.

Thanks again for the info, It will be good to know I can just buy a
pair of Thing Drums for my adapter.