Sloth Kills Two More

Old December 26th 04, 08:40 PM
Dave Head

On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 10:57:36 -0800, John David Galt
> wrote:

>Dave Head wrote:
>> Have had on-line conversations with truckers who claim that despite all the
>> mirrors its really tough to see things around and especially beside trucks.
>> They also say there's no room in a cab for a camera display for an electronic
>> rear-view mirror, that you couldn't keep the camera aimed properly, that you
>> can't keep it clean enough to work, etc.
>>
>> So, when's someone going to invent something that solves all these problems so
>> trucks can quit using the ineffective mirrors and start using 21st century
>> technology to make their presence not to be the menace it currently is?

>It doesn't take any super technology. School bus drivers solved this problem
>years ago by putting a chrome ball out in front of the bus, sort of like a
>hood ornament, where even a child squatting there can be seen by reflection.
>Just attach one of these to each side door of the truck cab, near the mirror.
>Problem solved. (Provided the trucker takes the time to look at it.)

Yet, a trucker here who said he tried very hard not to do it,would still scare
hell out of someone about once a week. He said he had mirrors all over the
place. A chrome ball in front of a truck will keep the trucker from running
over little kids directly below the front of the truck, but they don't help all
that much when trying to see an MG-B that is 30 feet behind the cab, alonside
the trailer. NO, the problem hasn't been solved.

DPH

Old December 26th 04, 09:39 PM
Brent P

In article >, Dave Head wrote:

> Yet, a trucker here who said he tried very hard not to do it,would still scare
> hell out of someone about once a week. He said he had mirrors all over the
> place. A chrome ball in front of a truck will keep the trucker from running
> over little kids directly below the front of the truck, but they don't help all
> that much when trying to see an MG-B that is 30 feet behind the cab, alonside
> the trailer. NO, the problem hasn't been solved.

It is solved by a simple technique. Signal, check, re-check, start moving
over slowly. If someone is there they will have time to either adjust or
make their presence known by moving into the field of vison or through
audiable signal.

Old December 26th 04, 09:39 PM
Brent P

Old December 26th 04, 09:39 PM
Daniel W. Rouse Jr.

What about something as simple as:

TRUCKS OVER TWO AXLES PROHIBITED

Personally, I think that between truck drivers that merge too slowly onto
the freeways (like 30mph on a 65mph interstate) without even using their
hazards, truck drivers that can't even keep their trailer from drifting over
a lane marker, and truck drivers that think a turn signal also means they
can immediately force their way into a lane without waiting--it's long
overdue to get those trucks (and their drivers) off the main roads of
travel... even if it means constructing truck-only roads that are parallel
to the main roads, but still off the main roads of travel.

"Dave Head" > wrote in message
> Have had on-line conversations with truckers who claim that despite all

the
> mirrors its really tough to see things around and especially beside

trucks.
> They also say there's no room in a cab for a camera display for an

electronic
> rear-view mirror, that you couldn't keep the camera aimed properly, that

you
> can't keep it clean enough to work, etc.
>
> So, when's someone going to invent something that solves all these

problems so
> trucks can quit using the ineffective mirrors and start using 21st century
> technology to make their presence not to be the menace it currently is?
>
> DPH
>
> On Sun, 26 Dec 2004 08:23:13 -0800, Scott en Aztlán
> > wrote:
>
> >On Fri, 24 Dec 2004 20:34:01 -0800, Scott en Aztlán
> > wrote:
> >
> >>Looks like some merge-impaired MFFY Trucker managed to kill two people
> >>in a brand new Corvette.
> >>
> >>http://www.wral.com/news/4023709/detail.html

> >Here's more on this story. Apparently the Trucker made a sudden lane
> >change to get to an EXIT ramp, running the Corvette off the road.
> >

>http://www.rockymounttelegram.com/hp...4/12/25/122620

04rmtinterstate.html

Old December 26th 04, 09:39 PM
Daniel W. Rouse Jr.

Old December 26th 04, 10:17 PM
223rem

Daniel W. Rouse Jr. wrote:
> What about something as simple as:
>
> TRUCKS OVER TWO AXLES PROHIBITED
>
> Personally, I think that between truck drivers that merge too slowly onto
> the freeways (like 30mph on a 65mph interstate) without even using their
> hazards, truck drivers that can't even keep their trailer from drifting over
> a lane marker, and truck drivers that think a turn signal also means they
> can immediately force their way into a lane without waiting--it's long
> overdue to get those trucks (and their drivers) off the main roads of
> travel... even if it means constructing truck-only roads that are parallel
> to the main roads, but still off the main roads of travel.

That's dumb. Do you realize how much more everything delivered by truck would
cost?
Old December 26th 04, 10:17 PM
223rem

Old December 27th 04, 12:02 AM
John David Galt

Brent P wrote:
> It is solved by a simple technique. Signal, check, re-check, start moving
> over slowly. If someone is there they will have time to either adjust or
> make their presence known by moving into the field of vison or through
> audiable signal.

Most truck cabs are so noisy they won't hear your horn if they try.