So what should be the penalty for speeding?

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old January 9th 05, 11:37 PM
Bernd Felsche

"James H. Hood" > writes:

>Brent P > wrote in message
>> In article >, Magnulus wrote:
>> > Collision at 75 vs. 55 mph has alot more energy behind it= a
>> > higher risk of injury/death. Much higher.

>> Only IN a crash. However, the higher speed limit when more
>> appropiate for the road will PREVENT the crashes in the first
>> place.

>Which explains why there are more crashes on a highway than on my street
>where the limit is twenty, right?

Patent;y; the solution is to close the highway and to divert traffic
down your street.

>This persistent notion that crashes are caused largely by different speeds
>is absurd.

I wasn't aware of such a persistent notion. It's at worst a
simplistic view of the artificial skew imposed on free-flowing
traffic when an underposted speed limit exists.

The "different speeds" non-factor is a statistical view. The
underlying human factors such as compensatory risk taking are mostly
what determines the incidence of crashes.
\ / ASCII ribbon campaign | I'm a .signature virus!
X against HTML mail | Copy me into your ~/.signature
/ \ and postings | to help me spread!