Trivia questions - just for fun.

Old August 24th 06, 11:35 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
N8N

Default Trivia questions - just for fun.

Steve wrote:
> Irwin Corey wrote:

> >>Sorry, gotta agree with aarcuda on this one. The Thermoquad was probably
> >>the most advanced carburetor ever mass produced, and is COMPLETELY
> >>relaible if you know how to service it without damaging it. I have one
> >>on my daily-driven Plymouth, which has been there for *years* without so
> >>much as an idle mixture adjustment. Even with the solvent-loaded monkey
> >>whizz they sell as "gasoline" these days. The Quadrajet is also a fine
> >>carb, but to call the TQ a "poor man's" QJ is just ridiculous. If
> >>anything, its the other way around.

> > I could hardly disagree more vehemently, but I guess
> > that's what makes horse racing. And for a so called
> > "successful" design, it certainly wasn't copied a la the
> > Torqueflite, for instance.

> Here I agree- it was NOT a success. Too many ham-fisted knuckle-draggers
> over torqued the bolts when they serviced them and wrecked the carbs by
> flexing the phenolic body and making the jet wells pop off. AND it was
> the last major new carburetor design before fuel injection, so it was
> doomed to a short life in OEM applications anyway. Well, "short" being
> about 15 years... But if you set one up and leave it alone, it will work
> great for years. And it does a better job of what a carburetor should
> do- mix air and fuel very precisely and uniformly over the entire power
> and RPM matrix the engine sees, than almost any other carburetor. I get
> better mileage with a TQ on my 318 than it did with a 2-barrel, simply
> because the TQ primaries with the dual annular boosters are so darned
> efficient. To its credit, the QJ is just about as good in that regard.
>
> Granted, today I'd rather have a new-in-the-box Thunder Series (a
> re-badged Carter AVS) than an old Thermoquad and that's what I run on my
> other daily driver. For my money, THAT is the best carburetor still in
> production short of a mega-buck Barry Grant. The AFB is tough as a
> brick, but mixes air and fuel about like a brick too. I did like
> Edelbrock's Quadrajet re-issue carb, but they had it over priced by
> about $200 and it never had a chance to make it in the marketplace.

Just fired up my "new" Stude engine last weekend, I bought a new 650CFM
"thunder series" carb, I have to say that even though the carb is
theoretically too big for the engine (would have cost me another couple
hundred bucks to get a 500 CFM) the throttle response is very very nice
indeed, and I haven't even done a lick of tuning on it - in fact I
don't even have a strip kit for it yet, unless you count a vintage one
for an AFB (but I think I will go ahead and buy an Edelbrock one so at
least the numbers make sense when looking at the manual.) All I did
was to set the idle and decrease the pump shot a little, and it pulls
like a freight train. (of course I swapped a tired engine for a good
engine that had an extra 25 horses or so to begin with, stuck in a
4-speed at the same time, and changed from a 3.31:1 to 3.73:1 rear, so
I guess it probably would have felt much nicer anyway even with the
same carb I was using before...)

I dunno why you're down on the AFB though, it's the same exact carb
except for the secondaries...

nate

Old August 26th 06, 07:33 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ashton Crusher

On 22 Aug 2006 10:24:05 -0700, "Lhead" > wrote:

>I'll post the answers soon.
>
>1. What was the first American car company to produce an overhead cam
>engine?
>
>2. What was the second?
>
>3. What American car holds the record for number of carburetors as
>delivered from the factory?
>
>Have fun.

The corvair monza had 4 carbs I think.
Old August 27th 06, 03:05 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Lhead

Ashton Crusher wrote:
> On 22 Aug 2006 10:24:05 -0700, "Lhead" > wrote:
>
> >I'll post the answers soon.
> >
> >1. What was the first American car company to produce an overhead cam
> >engine?
> >
> >2. What was the second?
> >
> >3. What American car holds the record for number of carburetors as
> >delivered from the factory?
> >
> >Have fun.

> The corvair monza had 4 carbs I think.

See answers above. The monza had two on the standard 110 hp engine. The
Corsa had four on the standard 140 hp engine. I believe the monza could
have been ordered with the 140 hp as well as an option.

Old August 27th 06, 04:17 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve[_1_]

> I dunno why you're down on the AFB though, it's the same exact carb
> except for the secondaries...
>
> nate

I wouldn't say I'm "down" on it. Its great on a big engine that moves a
lot of air, but it doesn't adapt as well to smaller engines, or
transition onto secondaries as smoothly as the AVS even on big engines.
Old August 27th 06, 04:20 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel

Steve wrote:

>> I dunno why you're down on the AFB though, it's the same exact carb
>> except for the secondaries...
>>
>> nate
>>

> I wouldn't say I'm "down" on it. Its great on a big engine that moves a
> lot of air, but it doesn't adapt as well to smaller engines, or
> transition onto secondaries as smoothly as the AVS even on big engines.

It was factory equipment on the Stude 289 and worked fairly well; not
sure what you're calling a smaller engine...

The AVS does seem to transition better out of the box, but I have spent
no time tuning on it.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old August 27th 06, 04:24 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
1967.ranchero.restoration

Truly an interesting discussion - I like how smoe folks got onto their
own discussion of a specific carburetor and its failings or
highlights...

Factory means (to me) that it is something you and I can go and order
or buy off the showroom floor. If it's a racecar only option, then it
wouldn't be factory.

Good questions LHead!!!

Old August 27th 06, 10:19 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
ROY BRAGG

Pontiac offered TriPower as early as 1957, and Oldsmobile offered it under
the J-2 name the same year. Chevy offered it in 1958 as an option on the
348 engine.
Roy