Groups fight NJ town ban on hiring, housing illegal immigrants

Old August 16th 06, 03:33 PM posted to tx.guns,rec.motorcycles,rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.trucking,nyc.politics
arminius

Default Groups fight NJ town ban on hiring, housing illegal immigrants

.. .

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wi...on-apnewjersey

> I wonder how the federal government knows they are here illegally, if
> there is no definition of illegal alien?
> --
>
> "Stop throwing the Constitution in my face," Bush screamed back. "It's
> just a goddamned piece of paper!"

How can Bush even talk. His face is always jammed in some latino ass crack!

hank

Old August 16th 06, 11:42 PM posted to tx.guns,rec.motorcycles,rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.trucking,nyc.politics
Gashauler

"arminius" <richard > wrote in message
.. .

> <johnny@.> wrote in message
> .. .
>>

>> By JEFFREY GOLD
>> Associated Press Writer
>>
>> August 15, 2006, 3:23 PM EDT
>>
>> NEWARK, N.J. -- Several groups on Tuesday asked a federal court to
>> overturn an ordinance passed by a southern New Jersey town that bans the
>> hiring and housing of illegal immigrants.
>>

>> The groups, including the National Coalition of Latino Clergy and
>> Christian Leaders, are also seeking $10 million from Riverside, claiming
>> the ordinance passed last month has caused irreparable harm to the
>> groups.
>>
>> In a lawsuit filed in federal court in Newark, they claim the Riverside
>> law unconstitutionally assumes powers for the town that are rightfully
>> handled by the federal government.
>>
>> The ordinance mirrored one passed earlier in July in Hazleton, Pa., and
>> comes as other towns around the nation are considering such actions. A
>> lawsuit by another Latino group was filed Tuesday challenging the
>> Hazleton law.
>>
>> That was a coincidence, said William J. Sanchez-Calderon, a Miami lawyer
>> who drafted the lawsuit opposing the Riverside ordinance.
>>
>> People in Riverside are worried about the ban, he said.
>>
>> "I've met with a number of people whose family members have left the
>> area because they are afraid of being discriminated against," he said.
>>

>> Sanchez-Calderon charged the ordinance is "vague and ambiguous as there
>> is no definition for 'illegal alien' in the Immigration and Nationality
>> Act ... or in other federal law."

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wi...on-apnewjersey

>> I wonder how the federal government knows they are here illegally, if
>> there is no definition of illegal alien?
>> --
>>
>> "Stop throwing the Constitution in my face," Bush screamed back. "It's
>> just a goddamned piece of paper!"

> How can Bush even talk. His face is always jammed in some latino ass
> crack!
>
> hank

Yea asswipe who's going to pick the crops? You?

Old August 17th 06, 02:10 PM posted to tx.guns,rec.motorcycles,rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.trucking,nyc.politics
Mike T.

>>> "Stop throwing the Constitution in my face," Bush screamed back. "It's
>>> just a goddamned piece of paper!"

>> How can Bush even talk. His face is always jammed in some latino ass
>> crack!
>>
>> hank
>>

> Yea asswipe who's going to pick the crops? You?

If all the illegal aliens were to suddenly vanish overnight, crop picking
would actually become an attractive opportunity for many U.S. citizens who
wouldn't THINK of crop-picking at wages that illegal aliens are willing to
accept. -Dave

Old August 17th 06, 02:21 PM posted to tx.guns,rec.motorcycles,rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.trucking,nyc.politics
Larry Bud

> Yea asswipe who's going to pick the crops? You?

Ever watch "Dirty Jobs" on TLC/Discovery? There are a hell of a lot
worse jobs than picking crops that Americans do every day.

Old August 17th 06, 03:35 PM posted to tx.guns,rec.motorcycles,rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.trucking,nyc.politics
Brent P[_1_]

In article ews.net>, Mike T. wrote:

>> Yea asswipe who's going to pick the crops? You?

> If all the illegal aliens were to suddenly vanish overnight, crop picking
> would actually become an attractive opportunity for many U.S. citizens who
> wouldn't THINK of crop-picking at wages that illegal aliens are willing to
> accept.

Yes. What would happen is that a specialized jobs operating, designing,
building, and servicing various harvesting equipment would spring up over
night. There wouldn't be enough people to hire for crop picking without
increasing wages beyond the market price of the crops. This would drive
farms to invest in capital equipment and pay just a few operators to do
the work of tens or hundreds of low paid migrant workers.

Old August 17th 06, 03:40 PM posted to tx.guns,rec.motorcycles,rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.trucking,nyc.politics
Mike T.

>> If all the illegal aliens were to suddenly vanish overnight, crop picking
>> would actually become an attractive opportunity for many U.S. citizens
>> who
>> wouldn't THINK of crop-picking at wages that illegal aliens are willing
>> accept.

> Yes. What would happen is that a specialized jobs operating, designing,
> building, and servicing various harvesting equipment would spring up over
> night. There wouldn't be enough people to hire for crop picking without
> increasing wages beyond the market price of the crops. This would drive
> farms to invest in capital equipment and pay just a few operators to do
> the work of tens or hundreds of low paid migrant workers.

So the net result would be job creation (much of it SKILLED job creation) in
the U.S. Sounds good to me. -Dave

Old August 17th 06, 04:06 PM posted to tx.guns,rec.motorcycles,rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.trucking,nyc.politics
Floyd Rogers[_1_]

"Mike T." > wrote
>> Yea asswipe who's going to pick the crops? You?

> If all the illegal aliens were to suddenly vanish overnight, crop picking
> would actually become an attractive opportunity for many U.S. citizens who
> wouldn't THINK of crop-picking at wages that illegal aliens are willing to
> accept. -Dave

Dave, your understanding of what people get paid is seriously incorrect.
I grew up on an orchard in WA state and have picked apples, pears
and other fruits, and also strawberries, beans and other veggies.

If I wanted to (and were young and hard-bodied), I could earn
$15 or more per hour or more picking apples - twice as much
as a burger-flipper. However, I seriously doubt that YOU would
enjoy that job (or any other farm harvesting job) compared to
whatever you are doing now.

FloydR

Old August 17th 06, 04:35 PM posted to tx.guns,rec.motorcycles,rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.trucking,nyc.politics
Brent P[_1_]

In article >, Floyd Rogers wrote:
> "Mike T." > wrote
>>> Yea asswipe who's going to pick the crops? You?

>> If all the illegal aliens were to suddenly vanish overnight, crop picking
>> would actually become an attractive opportunity for many U.S. citizens who
>> wouldn't THINK of crop-picking at wages that illegal aliens are willing to
>> accept. -Dave

> Dave, your understanding of what people get paid is seriously incorrect.
> I grew up on an orchard in WA state and have picked apples, pears
> and other fruits, and also strawberries, beans and other veggies.
>
> If I wanted to (and were young and hard-bodied), I could earn
> $15 or more per hour or more picking apples - twice as much
> as a burger-flipper. However, I seriously doubt that YOU would
> enjoy that job (or any other farm harvesting job) compared to
> whatever you are doing now.

However that wasn't the point. I am sure there are good numbers of
citizens who are making less than $15 an hour who would go for the apple
picking....

Old August 17th 06, 04:43 PM posted to tx.guns,rec.motorcycles,rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.trucking,nyc.politics
Mike T.

> If I wanted to (and were young and hard-bodied), I could earn
> $15 or more per hour or more picking apples - twice as much
> as a burger-flipper. However, I seriously doubt that YOU would
> enjoy that job (or any other farm harvesting job) compared to
> whatever you are doing now.
>
> FloydR

Yes, there are differences related to what type of crop you are harvesting,
and apple pickers can earn up to about $17 per hour . . . or so I've read in
the past. However, the average agricultural crop harvester earns minimum
wage. This is the average pay as many are paid -less- than minimum wage.
If there weren't a few people earning $17/hour picking apples, for example,
the average wage for agricultural field workers would be below minimum wage.
This is only possible because illegal immigrants are not worried about
minimum wage, and are more accepting of poor working conditions for low
wages in general. -Dave

Old August 17th 06, 04:46 PM posted to tx.guns,rec.motorcycles,rec.autos.driving,misc.transport.trucking,nyc.politics
Mike T.

> However that wasn't the point. I am sure there are good numbers of
> citizens who are making less than $15 an hour who would go for the apple
> picking....

Well yes, they probably would, if the apple-picking jobs weren't snapped up
by all the illegals first. But as I wrote elsewhere, apple-pickers are part
of the reason that the average pay for similar work is minimum wage
(meaning, a lot are earning less, some are earning more, average is near
minimum wage). Also, this ignores the fact that apple-picking would pay
more if there were fewer workers willing to do that work. -Dave