E46 Wipers still going when ignition off

Old February 26th 06, 10:02 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Default E46 Wipers still going when ignition off

Two days ago I drove home in the rain with the wipers in the
intermittent mode, and I left the switch in that position when I turned
off the ignition. Today is the first time I used the car since then. As
I approached the car, the wipers swept one sweep across the windshield.
About 15 seconds later, they did it again. When I started the car, the
washer fluid indicator stayed lit, and I get several warning chimes,
although the washer fluid tank looks full. At the same time that this
happened, neight master key's remote will lock or unlock the doors. I
haven't had my the car very long, but I didn't see anything in the
manual about any button I could have accidently pressed or anything. I
do not have the rain sensing wipers (at least I don't think I do).

I would have thought that the battery would be run down if the wipers
ran for two days, but the car started right up. The doors lock and
unlock properly by turning the key, and the wipers and washer appear to
work normally, but the washer fluid light is still on.

Any help?

Old February 26th 06, 10:24 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

David wrote:

> Two days ago I drove home in the rain with the wipers in the
> intermittent mode, and I left the switch in that position when I turned
> off the ignition. Today is the first time I used the car since then. As
> I approached the car, the wipers swept one sweep across the windshield.
> About 15 seconds later, they did it again. When I started the car, the
> washer fluid indicator stayed lit, and I get several warning chimes,
> although the washer fluid tank looks full. At the same time that this
> happened, neight master key's remote will lock or unlock the doors. I
> haven't had my the car very long, but I didn't see anything in the
> manual about any button I could have accidently pressed or anything. I
> do not have the rain sensing wipers (at least I don't think I do).

<snip>

This is not normal. Is the car under warranty?

JRE
Old February 27th 06, 02:33 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

It is a 2001, so it is out of factory warranty. I have an extended
warranty, but not from BMW. Since my original post, now that it is dark
I have discovered that the dashboard lights for the odometer and the
headlight switch are staying on even while the ignition is off. Could
it be that the car "thinks" I am still sitting in it, so the remote
locks don't work and the lights and wipers keep working?

However, the warning chime was apparently the seat belt warning, which
I never heard before because under normal circumstaces I usually fasten
it before starting the car.

Old February 27th 06, 03:40 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

David wrote:
> It is a 2001, so it is out of factory warranty. I have an extended
> warranty, but not from BMW. Since my original post, now that it is dark
> I have discovered that the dashboard lights for the odometer and the
> headlight switch are staying on even while the ignition is off. Could
> it be that the car "thinks" I am still sitting in it, so the remote
> locks don't work and the lights and wipers keep working?
>
> However, the warning chime was apparently the seat belt warning, which
> I never heard before because under normal circumstaces I usually fasten
> it before starting the car.

Sounds like a stuck relay. You might want to give them a tap one-by-one.
Old February 27th 06, 04:51 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw

Thanks, Jim. Any idea where the relays would be located?

Old February 27th 06, 04:29 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw

David wrote:
> It is a 2001, so it is out of factory warranty. I have an extended
> warranty, but not from BMW. Since my original post, now that it is dark
> I have discovered that the dashboard lights for the odometer and the
> headlight switch are staying on even while the ignition is off. Could
> it be that the car "thinks" I am still sitting in it, so the remote
> locks don't work and the lights and wipers keep working?

There is a 16 minute period after you turn the ignition off where these
lights (and if automatic - the shifter illumination) will stay on. Wait
20 minutes and see if it is still on.

I missed the part about the remote locks - what is the problem there?