1989 525i FOR SALE (As is) MUST GO!

Old August 21st 05, 03:29 AM
Mark Amero

Default 1989 525i FOR SALE (As is) MUST GO!

1989 BMW 525i For sale. 295000 km. 5 speed. Tan leather interior. Car in as
is condition. Motor not running. Vehicle has some rust and needs some front
suspension work. Recently the timing belt tensioner went at low speed (about
40k/hr). Car will not turn over and it needs new timing belt. Not sure if
there is motor damage but from what I understand it is likely. Do not have
time to trouble shoot so the car must go. New rims and tires put on. $3200
obo with wheels or $2200 obo without wheels. Will make a great project car
or donor car. Offers Considered Located in Abbotsford BC, Canada (Lower
mainland). Phone 604-504-0980 or cell 604-854-0980. Car must go ASAP.

Old September 3rd 05, 05:13 PM
Mark Amero

ANY OFFERS anyone at all? What is a 89 525i with a dead motor worth?

Old September 5th 05, 02:38 PM
Somebody.

"Mark Amero" > wrote in message
> ANY OFFERS anyone at all? What is a 89 525i with a dead motor worth?
>
> "Mark Amero" > wrote in message
> > 1989 BMW 525i For sale. 295000 km. 5 speed. Tan leather interior. Car in

> as
> > is condition. Motor not running. Vehicle has some rust and needs some

> front
> > suspension work. Recently the timing belt tensioner went at low speed

> (about
> > 40k/hr). Car will not turn over and it needs new timing belt. Not sure

if
> > there is motor damage but from what I understand it is likely. Do not

have
> > time to trouble shoot so the car must go. New rims and tires put on.

$3200
> > obo with wheels or $2200 obo without wheels. Will make a great project

car
> > or donor car. Offers Considered Located in Abbotsford BC, Canada (Lower
> > mainland). Phone 604-504-0980 or cell 604-854-0980. Car must go ASAP.

In all honesty, a 300,000km car the needs a head *and* some front suspension
work is worth like $500. Because you can buy a similar car, emissions
checked and ready to plate for $3000 asking price. For example:

http://www.trader.ca/SendToFriend/Re...0&adid=4667466

So in your case, the buyer has to look at..
1. Head work -- Pay somebody to rebuild $3000 at the high end, to buy a
used and install it yourself in dozens of hours $1000 in misc parts at the
low end.
2. Suspension work -- perhaps $1000.... control arms are like $300 each,
shocks are like $150 each... bushings, ball joins, springs, lots of fun
stuff to check/renew in an old car like this.

So even a do-it-yourself guy won't want to spend much on your car with all
that looming.

And even as a parts car... 300,000km means everything that hasn't been
replaced recently is worn out.

Sorry dude...

You're better off to sell the rims and tires and any tasty parts and scrap
the rest.

-Russ.

Old September 7th 05, 07:00 AM
Mark Amero

Hmm... I sort of figured as much. I am looking at buying a 95-01 7 series as
a replacement. Opinions anyone?

Mark

et.ca...

525i or 330i? Jack Dotson BMW 17 August 8th 05 09:32 AM
HELP! Tell me if my 1989 e34 525i motor has just died. Wont't start. Timing belt? Fuel system? Starter? AArrgh!! URGENT Mark Amero BMW 6 July 29th 05 04:06 PM
WTB: Transmission - 5-speed 2x4 for 1988 or 1989 Chevy C1500 pickup Gene Technology 1 March 1st 05 06:18 AM
need a dizzy cap for 520i 1989 Darin BMW 1 October 4th 04 09:51 AM
Gasket replacement - 1992 525i Scott BMW 6 October 2nd 04 04:02 AM