mazda timer belt part and costs

Old July 25th 05, 05:53 PM
Tom Hillervik

Default mazda timer belt part and costs

does this sound ok as far as approximately the parts and labor?

I was quoted about $700-750 for costs, including parts and labor for a 1996
v6 dohc mazda engine

in addition to timer belt, there is a tensioner and a couple smaller parts
plus a couple gaskets, total parts about $450-500

just wanted to check if that sounds about normal, in case it matters all the
parts are original mazda parts

Old July 25th 05, 08:02 PM
William R. Watt

Is this a dealership?

When I replaced the timing belt on my car it cost $37 for the belt from
Canadian Tire, that's all. I don't see why they'd want to replace the
tensioner and the timing belt cover gaskets. They haven't even taken them
off yet to see if they need replacing.

I'd call around and get some estimates on that job.

homepage: www.ncf.ca/~ag384/top.htm
Old July 25th 05, 08:35 PM
Tom Hillervik

William R. Watt wrote:
> Is this a dealership?

the parts and labor are done at a repairshop, so, yes (in the sense that I
am not doing the work)

while I note you got the timing belt from 'canadian tire', I'm using
original mazda parts, so I do recognize they cost a little more, original
mazda timer belt about $75

I also asked for the tensioner(s) to be replaced as I plan on keeping the
car another 50-100k miles and would hate to find out later but if the
tensioner(s) are not replaced, the total cost drops to around 400 (parts and
labor)

normally mazda does not replace tensioner(s) until 100k miles

just wanted to check on the total estimate for all parts

Old July 25th 05, 10:47 PM
mst

http://www.rockauto.com/

--
remove MYSHOES to email
Old July 26th 05, 12:58 AM
Steve B.

wrote:

>does this sound ok as far as approximately the parts and labor?
>
>I was quoted about $700-750 for costs, including parts and labor for a 1996
>v6 dohc mazda engine
>
>in addition to timer belt, there is a tensioner and a couple smaller parts
>plus a couple gaskets, total parts about $450-500
>
>just wanted to check if that sounds about normal, in case it matters all the
>parts are original mazda parts

If you have confirmed the parts costs the labor costs sounds to be
in-line. I would have as much faith in Gates products as the dealers
and you might save some money using the aftermarket parts though.

How is the waterpump driven on your car? If it is driven by the
timing belt it needs to be replaced as well.

Steve B.