one for the archives

Old September 3rd 11, 05:38 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

Default one for the archives

failure mode for an autolite spark plug. no need to remind me to never
buy their crappy product.

now you see a gap:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/6108185694

now you don't:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/6108185686

seriously, what kind of manufacturing short cuts could /possibly/
facilitate this kind of failure mode? ridiculous.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old September 3rd 11, 11:03 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nicholas

On Fri, 02 Sep 2011 21:38:49 -0700, jim beam > wrote:

>failure mode for an autolite spark plug. no need to remind me to never
>buy their crappy product.
>
>now you see a gap:
>http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/6108185694
>
>now you don't:
>http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/6108185686
>
>seriously, what kind of manufacturing short cuts could /possibly/
>facilitate this kind of failure mode? ridiculous.

Plugs have been left in engine too long. Replace with new plugs in
the same heat range.

Lg
Old September 3rd 11, 01:34 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
gpsman

On Sep 3, 12:38*am, jim beam > wrote:
> failure mode for an autolite spark plug. *no need to remind me to never
> buy their crappy product.
>
> now you see a gap:http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/6108185694
>
> now you don't:http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/6108185686
>
> seriously, what kind of manufacturing short cuts could /possibly/
> facilitate this kind of failure mode?

No failure is visible. No information you've provided suggests a
manufacturing failure.

> *ridiculous.

You said it.
-----

- gpsman
Old September 3rd 11, 03:17 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_4_]

jim beam wrote:
> failure mode for an autolite spark plug. no need to remind me to never
> buy their crappy product.
>
> now you see a gap:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/6108185694
>
> now you don't:
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/6108185686
>
> seriously, what kind of manufacturing short cuts could /possibly/
> facilitate this kind of failure mode? ridiculous.

Looks like the electrode was machined small OR the top of it was formed
wrong (the top looks like a nail head normally)
Could also be that the bonding agent they use to seal the insulator to
the electrode failed and allowed combustion heat into the core.

--
Steve W.
Old September 3rd 11, 03:20 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_4_]

gpsman wrote:
> On Sep 3, 12:38 am, jim beam > wrote:
>> failure mode for an autolite spark plug. no need to remind me to never
>> buy their crappy product.
>>
>> now you see a gap:http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/6108185694
>>
>> now you don't:http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/6108185686
>>
>> seriously, what kind of manufacturing short cuts could /possibly/
>> facilitate this kind of failure mode?

> No failure is visible. No information you've provided suggests a
> manufacturing failure.

You need to get your glasses fixed. In the first picture the center
electrode is in place. In the second one it has slid down and shorted
the gap. NOT something that is good. Shorting out many newer ignition
systems results in burnt out coils or blown ignition controls.

--
Steve W.
Old September 3rd 11, 03:52 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 09/03/2011 07:17 AM, Steve W. wrote:
> jim beam wrote:
>> failure mode for an autolite spark plug. no need to remind me to never
>> buy their crappy product.
>>
>> now you see a gap:
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/6108185694
>>
>> now you don't:
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/6108185686
>>
>> seriously, what kind of manufacturing short cuts could /possibly/
>> facilitate this kind of failure mode? ridiculous.
>>

> Looks like the electrode was machined small OR the top of it was formed
> wrong (the top looks like a nail head normally)
> Could also be that the bonding agent they use to seal the insulator to
> the electrode failed and allowed combustion heat into the core.

could well be. my guess is that the resistor that's supposed to reside
between the "nail head" and the rest of the conductive core has either
burned away or was never inserted. whatever the reason, it's totally
unimpressive.

--
nomina rutrum rutrum
Old September 3rd 11, 05:43 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
micky

On Fri, 02 Sep 2011 21:38:49 -0700, jim beam > wrote:

>failure mode for an autolite spark plug. no need to remind me to never
>buy their crappy product.
>
>now you see a gap:
>http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/6108185694
>
>now you don't:
>http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/6108185686

I don't see why this is a problem unless youy have your engine mounted
upsdie down. If you do, there is a recall notice and the dealer will
invett if for you, if you are the original owner.

Old September 3rd 11, 06:00 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
jim beam[_4_]

On 09/03/2011 09:43 AM, micky wrote:
> On Fri, 02 Sep 2011 21:38:49 -0700, jim > wrote:
>
>> failure mode for an autolite spark plug. no need to remind me to never
>> buy their crappy product.
>>
>> now you see a gap:
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/6108185694
>>
>> now you don't:
>> http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/6108185686

> I don't see why this is a problem unless youy have your engine mounted
> upsdie down.

even if you don't have any at the present, you need to look up "spacial
reasoning" and see if you can find some exercises which will help you
develop this crucial ability. particularly if you're planning on having
anything to do with 3-dimensional objects.

Old September 3rd 11, 06:11 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bill[_33_]

"jim beam" > wrote in message
> failure mode for an autolite spark plug. no need to remind me to
> never buy their crappy product.

I've bought autolite spark plugs for years and years and never had
such a problem. But I am getting the proper factory spec replacement
plugs. I don't know if that has anything to do with it?

Old September 3rd 11, 06:22 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nate Nagel[_2_]

On 09/03/2011 08:34 AM, gpsman wrote:
> On Sep 3, 12:38 am, jim > wrote:
>> failure mode for an autolite spark plug. no need to remind me to never
>> buy their crappy product.
>>
>> now you see a gap:http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/6108185694
>>
>> now you don't:http://www.flickr.com/photos/38636024@N00/6108185686
>>
>> seriously, what kind of manufacturing short cuts could /possibly/
>> facilitate this kind of failure mode?

> No failure is visible. No information you've provided suggests a
> manufacturing failure.

You're blind. The electrode is loose in the porcelain.

Of course we always knew you were an idiot, but now even the n00bs can
see first hand.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.