Can I buy these?

Old August 24th 11, 05:40 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
micky

Default Can I buy these?

When I junked my old car two weeks ago, I forgot to remove two parts
when I removed the hitch.

The guy I sold the car to was going to part it and then sell it to the
crusher, and he probably still has the car and the parts, but if I can
just buy them, it would be easier.

They are the same: two quite thick washers, rectangular, almost 2"
by 3/4", with a square hole in the middle, to accept the square shank
of a large carriage bolt that holds the hitch to the bumper. The
head of the bolt goes where it would be impossible to get a wrench.

What do I call such a thing if I'm trying to buy a couple, and do you
think they are sold separately?

Thanks a lot.

(This is a class I hitch, attached to the car in four places. I have
the hitch and 3 drawbars, and would like to be able to give or sell a
complete hitch..)

Old August 24th 11, 05:44 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Hustlin' Hank

On Aug 24, 12:40*pm, micky > wrote:
> When I junked my old car two weeks ago, I forgot to remove two parts
> when I removed the hitch. *
>
> The guy I sold the car to was going to part it and then sell it to the
> crusher, and he probably still has the car and the parts, but if I can
> just buy them, it would be easier.
>
> They are the same: * two quite thick washers, rectangular, almost 2"
> by 3/4", *with a square hole in the middle, to accept the square shank
> of a large carriage bolt that holds the hitch to the bumper. * The
> head of the bolt goes where it would be impossible to get a wrench.
>
> What do I call such a thing if I'm trying to buy a couple, and do you
> think they are sold separately?
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> (This is a class I hitch, attached to the car in four places. *I have
> the hitch and 3 drawbars, and would like to be able to give or sell a
> complete hitch..)

Call a place that installs hitches. Uhaul comes to mind.

Hank
Old August 24th 11, 06:32 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
dpb

On 8/24/2011 11:40 AM, micky wrote:

> They are the same: two quite thick washers, rectangular, almost 2"
> by 3/4", with a square hole in the middle, to accept the square shank
> of a large carriage bolt that holds the hitch to the bumper. The
> head of the bolt goes where it would be impossible to get a wrench.
>
> What do I call such a thing if I'm trying to buy a couple, and do you
> think they are sold separately?

Undoubtedly they were punched specifically for the size of (I presume)
tube; it'll be unlikely you'll find them as a separate part unless the
hitch vendor can supply them. If that is so, you'll probably think it's
better to go retrieve them than pay the asking price I'd expect...

Of course, making one isn't any problem for any machine shop w/ a punch
or a guy at home who's fairly adept w/ a torch (or, better yet, here's
the excuse you've been waiting for for that plasma cutter ). Or,
drill the hole of proper diameter and use a file to square out the
corners is nothing but some time doing a repetitive piece of mindless
work...

Oh, other thought...you likely can find a round washer w/ the hole for
the carriage bolt (or a plow bolt) and then just grind two flats down to
get the width on the outside.

If you're not going to reuse the hitch, I'd probably just let the new
owner deal with it...

Old August 24th 11, 07:11 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Steve B[_3_]

"micky" > wrote in message
> When I junked my old car two weeks ago, I forgot to remove two parts
> when I removed the hitch.
>
> The guy I sold the car to was going to part it and then sell it to the
> crusher, and he probably still has the car and the parts, but if I can
> just buy them, it would be easier.
>
> They are the same: two quite thick washers, rectangular, almost 2"
> by 3/4", with a square hole in the middle, to accept the square shank
> of a large carriage bolt that holds the hitch to the bumper. The
> head of the bolt goes where it would be impossible to get a wrench.
>
> What do I call such a thing if I'm trying to buy a couple, and do you
> think they are sold separately?
>
> Thanks a lot.
>

> (This is a class I hitch, attached to the car in four places. I have
> the hitch and 3 drawbars, and would like to be able to give or sell a
> complete hitch..)

Check with a trailer supply or hitch installer. I bet they have them.

Steve

Old August 24th 11, 08:40 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
SRN

"micky" > wrote in message

> They are the same: two quite thick washers, rectangular, almost 2"
> by 3/4", with a square hole in the middle, to accept the square shank
> of a large carriage bolt that holds the hitch to the bumper. The
> head of the bolt goes where it would be impossible to get a wrench.

Kind of like these? 2" x 1" x 7/32" with a 9/16" square hole? These are left
over from a Reese
multi-fit Class 3 receiver hitch, model 37042

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17...4/IMG_0236.jpg

Old August 25th 11, 03:15 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
micky

On Wed, 24 Aug 2011 14:40:47 -0500, "SRN" > wrote:

>"micky" > wrote in message
.. .

>> They are the same: two quite thick washers, rectangular, almost 2"
>> by 3/4", with a square hole in the middle, to accept the square shank
>> of a large carriage bolt that holds the hitch to the bumper. The
>> head of the bolt goes where it would be impossible to get a wrench.
>>

>Kind of like these? 2" x 1" x 7/32" with a 9/16" square hole? These are left
>over from a Reese
>multi-fit Class 3 receiver hitch, model 37042
>
>http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y17...4/IMG_0236.jpg

Yes! Exactly like those!!
Old August 25th 11, 04:35 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Smitty Two

In article >, dpb > wrote:

> Or,
> drill the hole of proper diameter and use a file to square out the
> corners is nothing but some time doing a repetitive piece of mindless
> work...

Why not just drill a square hole?
Old August 25th 11, 05:44 AM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
dpb

On 8/24/2011 10:35 PM, Smitty Two wrote:
> In >, > wrote:
>
>> Or,
>> drill the hole of proper diameter and use a file to square out the
>> corners is nothing but some time doing a repetitive piece of mindless
>> work...

> Why not just drill a square hole?

Most DIY'ers don't have the punch...

Old August 25th 11, 02:37 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
J R[_2_]

Square holes? I have a drill bit which can drill square holes,,, in
wood.
cuhulin

Old August 25th 11, 03:31 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Smitty Two

In article >, dpb > wrote:

> On 8/24/2011 10:35 PM, Smitty Two wrote:
> > In >, > wrote:
> >
> >> Or,
> >> drill the hole of proper diameter and use a file to square out the
> >> corners is nothing but some time doing a repetitive piece of mindless
> >> work...

> > Why not just drill a square hole?

> Most DIY'ers don't have the punch...
>
> --

I was referring to Harry Watt's gizmos, but then most DIYers don't have
those, either.

I'll NEVER buy another VW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rolf Gustafsen VW water cooled 46 October 9th 06 06:07 AM
And What Would You Buy? My Names Nobody Ford Mustang 4 July 6th 06 08:51 AM
Buy or not to buy 147 2.0 SS? HK Alfa Romeo 3 April 26th 06 07:55 PM
98 525 buy or not to buy BMW 2 February 3rd 05 12:36 AM
318i buy or not to buy Paul Williams BMW 1 December 1st 04 05:36 AM