Evaluating a Used Car - DipStick (Oil) Reading

Old May 21st 07, 04:23 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge,rec.autos.makers.chrysler,rec.autos.tech
Steve[_1_]

Default Evaluating a Used Car - DipStick (Oil) Reading

Joe wrote:

> "HKEK" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
>>I'm looking at a 2002 Dodge Grand Caravan 3.3L with 57,000 miles. I
>>pulled the dipstick and the oil looked dark and smelled a bit cooked.
>>The vehicle had been taken in trade at a [Dodge] dealer. The salesman
>>showed me the shop work that had been performed on this vehicle to
>>ready it for resale. Among other things such as brakes and stabilizer
>>bushings, the engine oil and filter had been changed. The van had
>>about 50 miles on it since the oil change.

> It's hard to say. Likely as not, they falsified the work report.

My first thought also. It would be rather hard to *truly* damage a 3.3
in only 57k miles. Yeah, extreme, extreme neglect would do it, but that
should be fairly obvious in other ways. I bet they just didn't change
the oil.

Old May 22nd 07, 07:44 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge,rec.autos.makers.chrysler,rec.autos.tech
who

In article .com>,
HKEK > wrote:

> I can have the vehicle inspected and the deposit is refundable if my
> mechanic finds any serious issues.
>
> It has been suggested that some shops do not drain the oil during
> changes but pump it out instead through the dipstick tube. It was
> further suggested that this practice may leave enough used oil behind
> to contaminated the fresh oil being added.

Correct.

> When I drain oil for a change, I drain it hot and for an hour or two
> if not overnight.

That's how I do it.
The shop I go to does remove the drain plug for about 15 min.

Over the years I've noticed very very dirty oil in some rental cars with
over 15K miles on the clock. I'm sure they only change the oil just
before selling the rental. How to shorten engine life!
I'll not mention the worst rental car oil I've noticed, not wanting to
be sued! <
Old May 24th 07, 03:01 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge,rec.autos.makers.chrysler,rec.autos.tech
HKEK

After doing a little test, I believe the oil had been changed before I
put a deposit on this car.

I had the dealer change the oil and filter and I drove the van around
for about 15 miles. I then collected some of the oil from the dipstick
into a glass vial. I repeatedly insert the dipstick into the
crankcase, withdrew it, and wiped into the glass vial.

The dealer saved some of the original oil in a glass jar.

I also got a sample of the fresh oil, which was Citgo 5W30.

Well, the original oil was very dark and smelled a bit like gasoline.
The fresh oil was very clear, a bit yellow, and had little scent. The
oil that had been in the crankcase for 15 miles looked about half as
dark as the original oil and also smelled a bit like gasoline.

Does this mean anything of significance? I think the previous owner(s)
ran the car beyond the recommended service intervals (oil & filter
change) and I believe the fresh oil, with its detergents, is cleaning
up deposits on engine surfaces.

I will have a compression check run on the front 3 cylinders (the back
3 are require removal of the intake plenum).

If I end up buying this one, I will probably change the oil at
extremely short intervals (~100 miles or weekly) until the oil stays
clear.

Old May 24th 07, 03:18 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge,rec.autos.makers.chrysler,rec.autos.tech
Dan C

On Wed, 23 May 2007 19:01:11 -0700, HKEK wrote:

<snip>

> If I end up buying this one, I will probably change the oil at extremely
> short intervals (~100 miles or weekly) until the oil stays clear.

Correction - if you end up buying it, you'll be an even bigger fool than
you appear to be now.

Old May 24th 07, 03:44 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge,rec.autos.makers.chrysler,rec.autos.tech
Ken Weitzel

HKEK wrote:
> After doing a little test, I believe the oil had been changed before I
> put a deposit on this car.
>
> I had the dealer change the oil and filter and I drove the van around
> for about 15 miles. I then collected some of the oil from the dipstick
> into a glass vial. I repeatedly insert the dipstick into the
> crankcase, withdrew it, and wiped into the glass vial.
>
> The dealer saved some of the original oil in a glass jar.
>
> I also got a sample of the fresh oil, which was Citgo 5W30.
>
> Well, the original oil was very dark and smelled a bit like gasoline.
> The fresh oil was very clear, a bit yellow, and had little scent. The
> oil that had been in the crankcase for 15 miles looked about half as
> dark as the original oil and also smelled a bit like gasoline.
>
> Does this mean anything of significance? I think the previous owner(s)
> ran the car beyond the recommended service intervals (oil & filter
> change) and I believe the fresh oil, with its detergents, is cleaning
> up deposits on engine surfaces.
>
> I will have a compression check run on the front 3 cylinders (the back
> 3 are require removal of the intake plenum).
>
> If I end up buying this one, I will probably change the oil at
> extremely short intervals (~100 miles or weekly) until the oil stays
> clear.

Hi..

The real question is how fast can you run? And how quickly
can you start?

Take care.

Ken
Old May 24th 07, 03:54 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge,rec.autos.makers.chrysler,rec.autos.tech
B.B.

In article om>,
HKEK > wrote:

> After doing a little test, I believe the oil had been changed before I
> put a deposit on this car.
>
> I had the dealer change the oil and filter and I drove the van around
> for about 15 miles. I then collected some of the oil from the dipstick
> into a glass vial. I repeatedly insert the dipstick into the
> crankcase, withdrew it, and wiped into the glass vial.
>
> The dealer saved some of the original oil in a glass jar.
>
> I also got a sample of the fresh oil, which was Citgo 5W30.
>
> Well, the original oil was very dark and smelled a bit like gasoline.
> The fresh oil was very clear, a bit yellow, and had little scent. The
> oil that had been in the crankcase for 15 miles looked about half as
> dark as the original oil and also smelled a bit like gasoline.
>
> Does this mean anything of significance? I think the previous owner(s)
> ran the car beyond the recommended service intervals (oil & filter
> change) and I believe the fresh oil, with its detergents, is cleaning
> up deposits on engine surfaces.
>
> I will have a compression check run on the front 3 cylinders (the back
> 3 are require removal of the intake plenum).
>
> If I end up buying this one, I will probably change the oil at
> extremely short intervals (~100 miles or weekly) until the oil stays
> clear.

Just fill the crankcase with diesel fuel instead of oil and run it at
temp for five minutes or so. Diesel is a good lubricant, so no harm to
the engine, but it's also high detergent, so it'll clean. Then drain &
fill with motor oil. Do that at your next two regularly scheduled oil
changes and your engine ought to come clean unless it has other
problems. No need to waste a bunch of motor oil and filters.
I always put a quart of diesel fuel in my engine a day before I do an
oil change to keep everything clean. On lawnmowers I'll actually fill
it up with diesel and mow a lawn.

Old May 24th 07, 05:28 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler,rec.autos.tech
Abby.Normal

Citgo anything is worse crap than crap itself. It is made out of heavy
crude from Venezuela. Try using a real oil like GTX or Havoline - anything
but that shi^&. Keep using Citgo crap and Hugo Chavez will continue to
thank you for funding his shipments of heroin, coke, and pot to this
country.

ps.com...

Old May 24th 07, 02:03 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge,rec.autos.makers.chrysler,rec.autos.tech
Mike Romain

Sounds like the oil is filling with gas. This will 'fast' destroy the
engine if it already hasn't done so.

A compression test will not tell you about all the dead crank and cam
bearings, only the rings and valves which aren't parts killed fast by
gasoline diluted oil.

You really need an oil analysis on it or to just walk away now.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old May 25th 07, 05:52 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge,rec.autos.makers.chrysler,rec.autos.tech
HKEK

The "Dark Oil Myth"...

http://www.nordicgroup.us/oil.htm#Th...k%20Oil%20Myth

Old May 25th 07, 07:13 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge,rec.autos.makers.chrysler,rec.autos.tech
jim

HKEK wrote:

> The "Dark Oil Myth"...
>
> http://www.nordicgroup.us/oil.htm#Th...k%20Oil%20Myth

Hey, if you are looking for some dark oil to put in your engine I can
sell you some cheap.

The problem OP has (he now says) is there is gasoline in his oil. That
is a serious problem unless maybe you can find a link to "Gasoline in
the oil myth" which will of course instantly cure his problem.

-jim

Evaluating a Used Car - DipStick (Oil) Reading HKEK Technology 25 June 29th 07 05:44 AM
your help in evaluating whether to keep 1990 525i Notgiven BMW 11 February 27th 06 07:22 PM
Dipstick for ZC? Elle Honda 0 September 1st 05 04:10 PM
E46 Where's the dipstick... sgfan3 BMW 11 July 25th 05 04:40 PM
Reading the dipstick Treeline Chrysler 5 April 20th 05 11:13 PM