Why Dyno ?

Old August 22nd 04, 11:01 PM
Robert

Default Why Dyno ?

why the heck do some people get their cars "dynoed"
what good does it do ? what do they do with the result info ?

Old August 22nd 04, 11:05 PM
JazzMan

Robert wrote:

> why the heck do some people get their cars "dynoed"
> what good does it do ? what do they do with the result info ?

Bragging rights (Mine's bigger than yours!), objective tests
of modifications to see if improvement is real, etc. And,
don't overlook simple curiousity. I dyno'd my Fiero and
found that I developed 155 ft/lbs of torque at 1,250 RPM,
that's 90% of my peak torque at 3,000 rpm. In fact, my
torque is at or above 90% of peak from 1,250 rpm all the way
out to 4,200 RPM, which makes the car mighty fun to drive.

JazzMan
Please reply to jsavage"at"airmail.net.
Curse those darned bulk e-mailers!
Old August 22nd 04, 11:14 PM
Robert

"JazzMan"
> Bragging rights (Mine's bigger than yours!), objective tests
> of modifications to see if improvement is real, etc. And,
> don't overlook simple curiousity. I dyno'd my Fiero and
> found that I developed 155 ft/lbs of torque at 1,250 RPM,
> that's 90% of my peak torque at 3,000 rpm. In fact, my
> torque is at or above 90% of peak from 1,250 rpm all the way
> out to 4,200 RPM, which makes the car mighty fun to drive.

so people who dynoed would normally alter their driving habit to take
advantage
of the findings ?

Old August 22nd 04, 11:21 PM
JazzMan

Robert wrote:

> "JazzMan"
> > Bragging rights (Mine's bigger than yours!), objective tests
> > of modifications to see if improvement is real, etc. And,
> > don't overlook simple curiousity. I dyno'd my Fiero and
> > found that I developed 155 ft/lbs of torque at 1,250 RPM,
> > that's 90% of my peak torque at 3,000 rpm. In fact, my
> > torque is at or above 90% of peak from 1,250 rpm all the way
> > out to 4,200 RPM, which makes the car mighty fun to drive.

> so people who dynoed would normally alter their driving habit to take
> advantage
> of the findings ?

Not neccessarily, though in a racing situation I suppose they
could. Measuring and documenting the power output of one's
motor can be done for as many reasons as there are car owners.
The most common reasons I see are bragging rights and objective
testing for race tuning.

Old August 23rd 04, 02:18 AM
Al

In our line of we'd be lost without our engine dyno! We would have no clue
if a new product was better than the previous or would hold up. Our
bussiness is so competitive we MUST KNOW that we are making a good piece,
not guess at it. We torture tested a new block for 3 days, tore it apart to
look at then put it back together for more torture. It held up so we
released the
finished product.
What would happern if we sold you a $5,000 block, you built it and the main
webs failed and all we could say is Hmmmmmm, guess we should have done some
testing.

Old August 23rd 04, 03:33 PM
Robert

"Al" > wrote in message
link.net...
> In our line of we'd be lost without our engine dyno! We would have no

clue
> if a new product was better than the previous or would hold up. Our
> bussiness is so competitive we MUST KNOW that we are making a good piece,
> not guess at it. We torture tested a new block for 3 days, tore it apart

> look at then put it back together for more torture. It held up so we
> released the
> finished product.
> What would happern if we sold you a $5,000 block, you built it and the

main
> webs failed and all we could say is Hmmmmmm, guess we should have done

some
> testing.

you're speaking from the point of engine builder/engineer/car maker, correct
?
I was wondering why some 20-something would take their new car to get dynoed
for like $30 ~ 60.
Jazzman said it's mostly "bragging rights" and I agress.

Old August 23rd 04, 05:19 PM
Ray

JazzMan wrote:
> Robert wrote:
>
>>"JazzMan"
>>
>>>Bragging rights (Mine's bigger than yours!), objective tests
>>>of modifications to see if improvement is real, etc. And,
>>>don't overlook simple curiousity. I dyno'd my Fiero and
>>>found that I developed 155 ft/lbs of torque at 1,250 RPM,
>>>that's 90% of my peak torque at 3,000 rpm. In fact, my
>>>torque is at or above 90% of peak from 1,250 rpm all the way
>>>out to 4,200 RPM, which makes the car mighty fun to drive.

>>so people who dynoed would normally alter their driving habit to take
>>advantage
>>of the findings ?

> Not neccessarily, though in a racing situation I suppose they
> could. Measuring and documenting the power output of one's
> motor can be done for as many reasons as there are car owners.
> The most common reasons I see are bragging rights and objective
> testing for race tuning.
>
> JazzMan

It's also nice for parts swapping - does this new intake make more
power? You've probably seen cars with all sorts of mods (exhaust tips)
and they claim to make 50+ hp increases.... it would sure be nice to
verify that...

I currently use the dragstrip as my dyno, but it would be nice (and
easier) to test changes on a dyno. AFAIK Winnipeg only has one shop
with a dyno and it's $100/hour.
Old August 23rd 04, 08:34 PM
Rex B

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 16:19:31 GMT, Ray > wrote:

||JazzMan wrote:

||> Not neccessarily, though in a racing situation I suppose they
||> could. Measuring and documenting the power output of one's
||> motor can be done for as many reasons as there are car owners.
||> The most common reasons I see are bragging rights and objective
||> testing for race tuning.
||>
||> JazzMan
||It's also nice for parts swapping - does this new intake make more
||power? You've probably seen cars with all sorts of mods (exhaust tips)
||and they claim to make 50+ hp increases.... it would sure be nice to
||verify that...
||I currently use the dragstrip as my dyno, but it would be nice (and
||easier) to test changes on a dyno. AFAIK Winnipeg only has one shop
||with a dyno and it's $100/hour.

Check out Homedyno.com.
Appears to be technically correct, for very little money.

Texas Parts Guy
Old August 23rd 04, 10:29 PM
Al

Similar deal, you bolt on a buch or parts and want to see if your tune up is
on or off. You may be able to tweak a few more areas and pick up a few "free
HP". I'd love to have a chassis dyno to play with! It's all about
performance.