8valve engine

Old August 23rd 04, 12:31 PM
Glafcos C

Default 8valve engine

Hi there.

I want to ask you guys since you are experts if its worth the money
to buy a new car with a 1.6lt 8-valve engine.
My friends are telling me that 16-valve engines are much better in
performance than 8-valve. I believe that, but are 8-valve engines that
bad?
Are they considered old technology that will not be applied in
engines any more?
I am actually thinking of buying a new Audi A4 1.6lt. I really like
the car, but the 8-valve engine is what makes me think about it twice
before closing the deal. Its a nice saloon car that i can affort to
buy.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Regards
Glafcos C.

Old August 23rd 04, 09:56 PM

Glafcos C > wrote:
> Hi there.
>
> I want to ask you guys since you are experts if its worth the money
> to buy a new car with a 1.6lt 8-valve engine.
> My friends are telling me that 16-valve engines are much better in
> performance than 8-valve. I believe that, but are 8-valve engines that
> bad?
> Are they considered old technology that will not be applied in
> engines any more?
> I am actually thinking of buying a new Audi A4 1.6lt. I really like
> the car, but the 8-valve engine is what makes me think about it twice
> before closing the deal. Its a nice saloon car that i can affort to
> buy.

> Any suggestions will be appreciated.
> Regards
> Glafcos C.

Car design is a work of compromizes. 2-valve engines are simpler
and cheaper to make, they have somewhat larger problems with
emission control and fuel consumption. But it's not a large
problem. In return you will have other features for the saved
money.

If that particular can suits you and the salesman can offer
sufficient service i see no problems.

And why should "old technology" be inferior ? Sound reproduction
is still done best with tube amps :-)
--
Peter Håkanson