The 6-cyl Mustang is a dog

Old July 8th 05, 04:36 AM
Wound Up

"RichA" > wrote in message
> Terrible performance for a six in this day
> and age. Ford has clearly decided to not take
> the Japanese route and provide real power
> (I don't even believe the current rating for the
> 6 at all) only to the V8.

It's all about marketing, Rich. Not every person, male or female, wants the
8 and all its expense. I'm not sure I would, in the current model. Of
course, I'd likely lease one, and not modify it. I have a tricked '67 with
a tuned and cammed 302 that satisfies my rubber-burning needs. I'd like me
a nice V6 without its price premium as a daily driver. Yeah, I said it.
Even an SN95 V6 would be nice.

So, you're down on this V6, fine. Just think back to the 232 V6 in the
Mustang and Capri of 20 years ago. Garth can tell you that it was and is
definitely smooth and reliable, and has decent torque. But even politely
driven, with an automatic, it got 15-17 mpg and put out (they said) 110 hp.
Floored forever, and in decent tune, my friend's '83 auto Capri did a
whopping 113 mph. Woo-hoo. We paced it with a new Impala SS 454 in 1992.
It just was not the goal of that car.

--
Wound Up
ThunderSnake #65

Old July 8th 05, 12:47 PM

I'm pretty confident I can (with a pair of slicks) run low 12's with
the bottle pressure around 1100~1300psi... forgot to mention Steeda
Tri-Ax shifter.. a godsend for people like me who like to powershift
like a sumbitch... practically ripping the shifter out lol.

Ain't a damn doubt about it.. motors built from the factory for F/I are
usually incredible. I'd LOVE to see your car (or any heavily modded A6)
at the track.. would be a fuggin beast no doubt. Of course.. I wouldn't
be dicking around with groceries in car OR kids in the back . I still
take my Mustang out in the rain & snow though... as does Tommy.. no
problems at all.

I'm not a rally driver by any means... turns frighten me. I'm a
"dragster" kinda guy. The subframe connectors definitely help in the
twisties, but I don't want to get too stiff of a suspension designed
for twisties for fear that I won't be able to launch well on a drag
strip!

Good luck w/ the 428CJ motor... I would love to have a project car, but
time won't permit that kinda time-consuming hobby at the moment. If you
do get around to doing something with it definitely keep me posted..
that's killer.

-Mike

Old July 19th 05, 08:11 AM
RichA

On 18 Jul 2005 15:41:30 -0400, liquidplasma
> wrote:

>"" wrote:
> > Terrible performance for a six in this day
> > and age. Ford has clearly decided to not take
> > the Japanese route and provide real power
> > (I don't even believe the current rating for the
> > 6 at all) only to the V8.
> > -Rich

>This is certainly a yes/no question big time.I have a friend who owns
>a mustang 2002 v6 190hp car and yes its slow.But not for the price he
>paid it was a good deal.You mentionned the v6’s of today are better
>than fords and I agree but price always plays a part in judging these
>things.Ive owned a couple of 5.0’s way back and today I own a
>Grandprix GT which has a v6 3.8liter gm engine.Im faster than fords v6
>3.8 and 4.0l but I also paid much more for my car and as for Jap cars
>i mean my god to get a good v6 engine in their cars your looking at
>35-30k Cdn.You can mod the 3.8l v6 engine by putting a supercharger
>and stage 1/2 zti cam a lifter kit in there.K/n filter with ported and
>polished manifold exhaust system etc and still be under the cost of
>most jap cars that are fast and easily look better as far as im
>concerned than any jap car.Be reasonable before knocking down american
>cars and take into account all factors before judging cause bottom
>line every car has their pros and cons dude.

I want to know how strongly that six was constructed before putting
any kind of blower on it.
-Rich
Old July 19th 05, 05:20 PM
Michael Johnson, PE

RichA wrote:
> On 18 Jul 2005 15:41:30 -0400, liquidplasma
> > wrote:
>

>>"" wrote:
>>
>>>Terrible performance for a six in this day
>>>and age. Ford has clearly decided to not take
>>>the Japanese route and provide real power
>>>(I don't even believe the current rating for the
>>>6 at all) only to the V8.
>>>-Rich

>>This is certainly a yes/no question big time.I have a friend who owns
>>a mustang 2002 v6 190hp car and yes its slow.But not for the price he
>>paid it was a good deal.You mentionned the v6’s of today are better
>>than fords and I agree but price always plays a part in judging these
>>things.Ive owned a couple of 5.0’s way back and today I own a
>>Grandprix GT which has a v6 3.8liter gm engine.Im faster than fords v6
>>3.8 and 4.0l but I also paid much more for my car and as for Jap cars
>>i mean my god to get a good v6 engine in their cars your looking at
>>35-30k Cdn.You can mod the 3.8l v6 engine by putting a supercharger
>>and stage 1/2 zti cam a lifter kit in there.K/n filter with ported and
>>polished manifold exhaust system etc and still be under the cost of
>>most jap cars that are fast and easily look better as far as im
>>concerned than any jap car.Be reasonable before knocking down american
>>cars and take into account all factors before judging cause bottom
>>line every car has their pros and cons dude.

> I want to know how strongly that six was constructed before putting
> any kind of blower on it.

I bet you it could easily take 6-9 psi with a safe tune. Blowers are
installed on Explorers every day.
Old July 19th 05, 11:35 PM
liquidplasma

"" wrote:
> On 18 Jul 2005 15:41:30 -0400, liquidplasma
> > wrote:
>
> >"" wrote:
> > > Terrible performance for a six in this day
> > > and age. Ford has clearly decided to not take
> > > the Japanese route and provide real power
> > > (I don't even believe the current rating for the
> > > 6 at all) only to the V8.
> > > -Rich

> >This is certainly a yes/no question big time.I have a friend

> who owns
> >a mustang 2002 v6 190hp car and yes its slow.But not for the

> price he
> >paid it was a good deal.You mentionned the v6’s of today are

> better
> >than fords and I agree but price always plays a part in

> judging these
> >things.Ive owned a couple of 5.0’s way back and today I own a
> >Grandprix GT which has a v6 3.8liter gm engine.Im faster than

> fords v6
> >3.8 and 4.0l but I also paid much more for my car and as for

> Jap cars
> >i mean my god to get a good v6 engine in their cars your

> looking at
> >35-30k Cdn.You can mod the 3.8l v6 engine by putting a

> supercharger
> >and stage 1/2 zti cam a lifter kit in there.K/n filter with

> ported and
> >polished manifold exhaust system etc and still be under the

> cost of
> >most jap cars that are fast and easily look better as far as

> im
> >concerned than any jap car.Be reasonable before knocking down

> american
> >cars and take into account all factors before judging cause

> bottom
> >line every car has their pros and cons dude.

> I want to know how strongly that six was constructed before
> putting
> any kind of blower on it.
> -Rich

you can put the tauras supercoupe package on the mustang stock
3.8liter v6 with no problems at all. brings it up to 225hp/335torque
yes 335 torque.If you have CAT etc well the its worth dynoing it to
find out the end result

Topic URL: http://www.autoforumz.com/Ford-Musta...ict127521.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.autoforumz.com/eform.php?p=632254
Old July 22nd 05, 07:05 PM
KB

The stock V6 bottom end can take 9 psi with a good tune (to avoid
detonation) easily.

Re-building and stronking the bottom end and going to forged internals on my
96 currently allows me to run 15 psi (making 364 rwhp) and I'm hoping to
make more soon.

Old July 23rd 05, 03:22 AM
Richard

"stronking"?

--
Richard

Old July 23rd 05, 12:18 PM
KB

Stroking...

Old July 28th 05, 11:25 PM
Ralph Snart

"Richard" > wrote in message
> "stronking"?
>
> --
> Richard

It does sound kinda.... kinky, doesn't it?