91 dodge Spirit AC problem

Old September 10th 06, 08:25 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
[email protected]

Default 91 dodge Spirit AC problem

Hello All,

I just bought a 91 P. Acclaim (Dodge spirit) with 2.5 L engine. I know
the AC compressor was seized up. I changed the compressor. and put in
3x12 oz 134a gas.

Now, the compressor works however, I don't get cold air in the car.
My observation is that AC gas does not circulate. After the gas becomes
liquid, something keeps the liquid from reaching evaporator.

My test: after I run AC for 5 minutes (no problem on clutch engaging),
I stop the car and loosen the low pressure side adaptor bolts on
compressor. Nothing leaks out. I put it back, and then loosen high
pressure side adaptor compressor. As I expect, the gas starts to leak
out from the adaptor. I'm sure I don't leak gas.

I know some older systems use expansion valve. Where is it on this car,
and is there any other place where might be clogged.

TIA, Ulas.

Old September 11th 06, 05:24 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
[email protected]

I did not flust the system. I donto know how. I jsut take the
compressor out and put another one back.. Change the low side adaptor
to be able to use 134a and that;s it.

I put very little oil on the high side before charging and then use
134a with oil addictive. I did not want to put too much oil since I
know it is bad for compressors by experience. I believe the compressor
is still ok.

I didnot pump it to a specific vacuum. I donot have vacuum. Maybe next
time, I can put one can of freeon in and then let it go, that way
Imight get rid ofmost ofthe air also.

I did not thought about the broken pieces of the old compressor. I
believe, there is a filter like stuff between compressor and condensor.
I will take it out and try to clean it by back pressurizing. I hope
that cylinder like thing is a filter.

Is the expansion valve sitting on the firewall in the engine
compartment? I see a black box where the hoses are attached? Can i take
it out or is it welded part of a evaporator.

Thanks for the input.

Old September 11th 06, 03:00 PM posted to alt.autos.dodge
aarcuda69062

In article
.com>,
wrote:

> I did not flust the system. I donto know how. I jsut take the
> compressor out and put another one back.. Change the low side adaptor
> to be able to use 134a and that;s it.

You -do- know that the inside of that system HAS to be cleaner
than a hospital operating room, don't you?

> I put very little oil on the high side before charging and then use
> 134a with oil addictive. I did not want to put too much oil since I
> know it is bad for compressors by experience. I believe the compressor
> is still ok.

> I didnot pump it to a specific vacuum. I donot have vacuum. Maybe next
> time, I can put one can of freeon in and then let it go, that way
> Imight get rid ofmost ofthe air also.

How could you possibly hope to get the moisture (water) out of
the system?
A deep vacuum isn't one of those "nice to do" things, it's
mandatory if you don't want to have problems, big problems.
Water can and will freeze in the TXV, a frozen TXV will starve
the compressor for oil.

> I did not thought about the broken pieces of the old compressor. I
> believe, there is a filter like stuff between compressor and condensor.

Will stop a piston, won't stop muck.

> I will take it out and try to clean it by back pressurizing. I hope
> that cylinder like thing is a filter.

Needs to be replaced -after- you flush the system and add the
proper amount of oil divided amongst the different components.

> Is the expansion valve sitting on the firewall in the engine
> compartment? I see a black box where the hoses are attached? Can i take
> it out or is it welded part of a evaporator.

Yes, that's probably it. Chrysler never welded the TXV to the
evaporator.

> Thanks for the input.

Until you make up your mind that you're going to do things right,
you're wasting your time.
Old September 12th 06, 05:29 AM posted to alt.autos.dodge
sqdancerLynn[_1_]

Was the compressor a junkyard special ??? 91 was still probably R12, At
least my 92 Dodge van was. their is more to the conversion than just
adding R134 Need to do a complete system flush, replace the dryer, refill
with the correct amount & type of oil, evacuate the system & recharge. The
amount of refridgerant added to the system is critical for best operation