156 Selespeed 'clunk' changing into 1st gear

Old May 1st 04, 03:15 PM
Mike

Default 156 Selespeed 'clunk' changing into 1st gear

Dave Sparrow wrote:
> 2000 156 Selespeed VL
>
> In 2nd gear, braking gently to a complete stop. As expected, just before
> stopping it changes down into 1st gear. Recently this gearchange has been
> accompanied by a distinctive 'clunk'. It's not _really_ loud, but definitely
> noticeable and it didn't used to happen. It also occurs changing down from
> 3rd to 2nd. I suppose it may also occur at other times but then the engine
> note would be loud enough to obscure it. It had a 20,000 mile service two
> months ago and nothing was mentioned then.
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Dave.

Well, if its any consolation, my 147 selepeed does the same, sometimes
with a clunk you can actually feel. It has done that since new, so I
always assumed this was fairly normal.
Old May 3rd 04, 12:17 PM
Doug Tredwell

My 147 does it too, though not loud. It also does it from Neutral to 1st
gear

Doug

Old May 3rd 04, 11:23 PM
-sAt-

it's normal.

Old May 8th 04, 02:49 PM
Alec

I have a 2002 156 Selespeed JTS that is currently getting the selespeed
"box" replaced under warranty. This because it started clunking when
changing UP from 3rd to 4th last year, though didn't get any worse for a
while, then on a longish trip (300 miles) it started doing the same from 2nd
to 3rd. The next day it wouldn't start, though the AA guy (under Alfa
Assist) did get it started.

He reckoned it was an intermittent feed to the starter from the ignition,
but admitted he didn't really know. The Alfa technician (the following day)
reckoned it was all part of the selespeed problem.

I'm pretty miffed that I spent a huge sum of money on a car that develops a
major fault in less than two years - though I suppose I should be thankful
it's still under warranty!

I'm getting them to address a range of items at the same time which
hopefully will last a few years. I certainly enjoy driving it, but I think
I'll get a basic cheap 2nd-hand estate next time and put the rest of my
money back into a motorbike. The sheer exhilaration of a bike can't be
matched!

Al