YJ rear driveshaft idea

Old May 17th 05, 05:40 AM
Carl Saiyed

Default YJ rear driveshaft idea

As some of you may remember, I have a spare Cherokee front driveshaft in my
garage. The idea I had today was to install the SYE in my YJ after the 4"
lift, and use the cherokee's front driveshaft in the rear of the YJ. It's
got a double cardon on one end, and the nessesary slip joint in the center.
I could measure the collapsed distance and the extended distance and have it
cut to fit. Am I crazy? How much am I looking at to have the shaft cut?

If this will not work, reccomendations on a CV shaft?

Thanks,

Carl

Old May 17th 05, 06:41 AM
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Hi Carl,
If the universal joints are the same size as what you have in the
rear now. On everything else, Ford, GM, and older Civilian Jeeps the
front constant velocity joints are almost haft size for clearance
reasons.
God Bless America, ßill O|||||||O
http://www.billhughes.com/

Old May 17th 05, 08:24 AM
Cherokee-Ltd

Hey Carl,
The front driveshaft trick will work on the XJ but I suspect it will be too
long for the YJ. I don't know if I would bother on a YJ, the biggest
advantage is XJ's can carry a spare shaft suitable for front or back.
Strength does not appear to be an issue, lot of people use them on the rear.
You will have to convert the TCase and install a flange end on the output
shaft. The RE Hack'n'Tap will work for this. You will then need a spicer
flange-to yoke adapter to use the XJ front shaft. I will look for the part
number.

-Brian

Old May 17th 05, 08:34 AM
Cherokee-Ltd

This site has the part numbers and pictures...
http://ramsites.net/~mckeonjm/driveshaft/driveshaft.htm

-Brian

Old May 17th 05, 10:41 PM
Jeff Strickland

Forgive me if I am wrong, but I don't think the front shaft is anywhere near
stout enough to pull duty in the rear.

Old May 18th 05, 02:01 AM
SoK66

> Forgive me if I am wrong, but I don't think the front shaft is anywhere
> near stout enough to pull duty in the rear.>

He could probably get a virtually bulletproof custom driveshaft from Tom
Woods or Hi Angle Driveline for about what he's going to spend fooling with
the XJ unit.

Old May 18th 05, 03:31 AM
Jeff Strickland

"SoK66" > wrote in message
> > Forgive me if I am wrong, but I don't think the front shaft is anywhere
> > near stout enough to pull duty in the rear.>

> He could probably get a virtually bulletproof custom driveshaft from Tom
> Woods or Hi Angle Driveline for about what he's going to spend fooling

with
> the XJ unit.

That's what I was thinkin'.

Old May 18th 05, 08:58 AM
Cherokee-Ltd

"Jeff Strickland" > wrote in message
> Forgive me if I am wrong, but I don't think the front shaft is anywhere
> near
> stout enough to pull duty in the rear.

I've never seen one a YJ but there are plenty of satisfied users on NAXJA
forums that have been running them with big tires/gears for years. Some of
which have had then extended to run with 35"+ tires. I think I'm going to
try it when I get around to doing the SYE on my XJ.

-Brian