ORPHAN CARS WILLYS

Old November 10th 08, 09:47 AM posted to rec.autos.misc
krp

Default ORPHAN CARS WILLYS

Everyone knows the Willys Jeep. How many remember the Willys cars?
Especially the Willys Aero and Willys Bermuda of the 50's? Maybe you saw a
52 Willys Aero in the film Back to the Future?

Old November 10th 08, 02:50 PM posted to rec.autos.misc
krp

"Roger Blake" > wrote in message

>> Everyone knows the Willys Jeep. How many remember the Willys cars?
>> Especially the Willys Aero and Willys Bermuda of the 50's? Maybe you saw
>> 52 Willys Aero in the film Back to the Future?

> I do remember them, though at this point they only seem to turn up
> at car shows. Can't even remember when I've last seen one on the
> road. Didn't the Aero tooling wind up in South America?

Almost ALL the Kaiser tooling went to South America. They kept making the 55
Kaiser in Argentina as the "Carabella" into the late 60's, The Willys went
on for a few years and was redesigned. The redesign was cool too. They never
sold well. They were very good little cars in their day.

Old November 11th 08, 01:25 AM posted to rec.autos.misc
krp

"Roger Blake" > wrote in message
rg...

>> Almost ALL the Kaiser tooling went to South America. They kept making the
>> 55
>> Kaiser in Argentina as the "Carabella" into the late 60's, ...

> As I recall they also made a version of the mid-1960s Rambler
> American in Argentina called the "Torino," which was restyled, had
> an upgraded interior, and was equipped with Kaiser's OHC inline
> six. (The only place I've ever seen those engines in the U.S. is
> in early Jeep Wagoneers.)

The Kaiser 226 inline 6 (L Head) was made by Continental Motors. Indeed when
they stopped making the Kaisers, the plant was sold to AMC who made cars
there. They ended production on both the Willys and Kaisers sometime in the
later 60's as I recall.

Old November 11th 08, 02:46 AM posted to rec.autos.misc
Refinish King[_2_]

I've had the pleasure to see them in person:

But, of course that was way back in the 60's.

RK

Old November 11th 08, 10:38 AM posted to rec.autos.misc
krp

"Refinish King" > wrote in message
news
> I've had the pleasure to see them in person:
>
> But, of course that was way back in the 60's.

I have only seen photos of the South American cars.

Old November 12th 08, 07:34 AM posted to rec.autos.misc
krp

"Roger Blake" > wrote in message

>> The Kaiser 226 inline 6 (L Head) was made by Continental Motors. Indeed
>> when
>> they stopped making the Kaisers, the plant was sold to AMC who made cars
>> there. They ended production on both the Willys and Kaisers sometime in
>> the
>> later 60's as I recall.

> Kaiser Jeep went on a bit longer in the U.S., AMC bought them out in 1972
> as I recall.

Yes.

> The early Jeep Wagoneer came standard with an overhead-cam inline six.
> This was a 230 CID mill that was developed by Kaiser to replace the
> old Continental 226. I'm pretty sure this was the first OHC engine to be
> offered by a U.S. manufacturer since Crosley. (They beat out the Pontiac
> OHC six by a few years.)

Kaiser never offerd any engine but the 226 in the United States. The
exception to that was 50 cars builkt with the Oldsmobile V-8, but Edgar
Kaiser ordered all those cars destroyed. Kaiser used the overhead valve 6 in
Argentina not the U.S. as I recall. They tried to pep up the 226 with a
McCullough supercharger in late 54 and 55 models. It wasn't enough.

Old November 13th 08, 02:10 AM posted to rec.autos.misc
krp

"Roger Blake" > wrote in message

:
>> Kaiser never offerd any engine but the 226 in the United States. The

> If you are talking cars, yes. But the Kaiser-Jeep Wagoneer of the early
> 1960s came equipped with the 230 CID "Tornado" OHC engine, which was
> developed in-house. I've seen those engines in early Wagoneers.

Ah the Jeep yes.I am not 100% sure of the genesis of that engine.

Old November 27th 08, 05:23 PM posted to rec.autos.misc
WW

" krp" > wrote in message
> Everyone knows the Willys Jeep. How many remember the Willys cars?
> Especially the Willys Aero and Willys Bermuda of the 50's? Maybe you saw a
> 52 Willys Aero in the film Back to the Future?
>
>I had a 1940 Willys coupe. Bored the engine .060. Ported and relieved valve
>area. Took .060

off of head. (flat head) . Installed larger tire size for clearance. This
was my JEEP for bad roads.
Speedometer only went to 80MPH indcated reading so I don't know what flat
out speed was.
Wish I still had it. Warren.

Old November 27th 08, 06:35 PM posted to rec.autos.misc
krp

"WW" > wrote in message
. ..

> " krp" > wrote in message
>> Everyone knows the Willys Jeep. How many remember the Willys cars?
>> Especially the Willys Aero and Willys Bermuda of the 50's? Maybe you saw
>> a 52 Willys Aero in the film Back to the Future?
>>
>>I had a 1940 Willys coupe. Bored the engine .060. Ported and relieved
>>valve area. Took .060

> off of head. (flat head) . Installed larger tire size for clearance. This
> was my JEEP for bad roads.
> Speedometer only went to 80MPH indcated reading so I don't know what flat
> out speed was.
> Wish I still had it. Warren.

The 40's Willys coupe was #1 for a long time to cram a 426 Hemi into and
drag race.

ORPHAN CARS krp General 57 November 19th 08 12:07 AM
ORPHAN CARS krp General 14 September 26th 08 08:36 AM
Orphan Cars...... huffreport Antique cars 0 October 25th 03 03:58 PM