91 Sundance, 2.2 or 2.5

Old April 12th 05, 05:25 PM
b.clausen

Default 91 Sundance, 2.2 or 2.5

Well I've decided I need to replace the head gasket on my 91 Sundance. I am
pretty sure its a 2.2, not a 2.5. Oh it is a Sundance America by the way,
with a 5 spd. There was no information, labels, diagrams or such i could see
under the hood or on the radiator support. So what i am wondering is there a
visual inspection or engine code number somewhere under the under the hood
so i can verify which engine it is. Like i said, i am almost certain it is a
2.2, all the info I've ever looked up on this make and model states 2.2. But
with my luck, i'd get all the 2.2 gaskets and stuff and it would be a 2.5.
And my other question is, would it make a difference, i know alot of the old
318-360 stuff like that was interchangable, or worked on either.

Old April 12th 05, 06:56 PM
David

"b.clausen" > wrote in message
> Well I've decided I need to replace the head gasket on my 91 Sundance. I
> am pretty sure its a 2.2, not a 2.5. Oh it is a Sundance America by the
> way, with a 5 spd. There was no information, labels, diagrams or such i
> could see under the hood or on the radiator support. So what i am
> wondering is there a visual inspection or engine code number somewhere
> under the under the hood so i can verify which engine it is. Like i said,
> i am almost certain it is a 2.2, all the info I've ever looked up on this
> make and model states 2.2. But with my luck, i'd get all the 2.2 gaskets
> and stuff and it would be a 2.5. And my other question is, would it make a
> difference, i know alot of the old 318-360 stuff like that was
> interchangable, or worked on either.

There should be an emissions label under the hood of the car. It usually has
a map of the vacuum / egr / pcv lines on it. It also has the spark plug type
and will state the engine size. However looking at partsamerica.com. It
states that the sundance america has the 2.2. Which does not matter anyway
as the non-turbo 2.2 and 2.5 use the same head gasket set.

Old April 12th 05, 08:31 PM
maxpower

"b.clausen" > wrote in message
> Well I've decided I need to replace the head gasket on my 91 Sundance. I

am
> pretty sure its a 2.2, not a 2.5. Oh it is a Sundance America by the way,
> with a 5 spd. There was no information, labels, diagrams or such i could

see
> under the hood or on the radiator support. So what i am wondering is there

> visual inspection or engine code number somewhere under the under the hood
> so i can verify which engine it is. Like i said, i am almost certain it is

> 2.2, all the info I've ever looked up on this make and model states 2.2.

But
> with my luck, i'd get all the 2.2 gaskets and stuff and it would be a 2.5.
> And my other question is, would it make a difference, i know alot of the

old
> 318-360 stuff like that was interchangable, or worked on either.

The 8th digit of the vin will tell you, there used to be a way by looking at
the A/C mount bracket that I could tell, but I forgot what it was, and if
im not mistaken the 2.2 and 2.5 non turbo are the same gaskets, I think it
was just longer rods that made the difference. Contact your local Dealer and
have them check for you.

Old April 13th 05, 05:22 PM
Daniel J. Stern

Same gaskets.

Old April 14th 05, 02:53 AM
Bill

If the 8th digit in VIN is a D, it's a 2.2. If the 8th digit is a K, then
it's a 2.5

Bill

n.umich.edu...

94 Sundance shutter AY Metz Chrysler 1 April 5th 05 02:52 PM
91 Sundance heating problems b.clausen Chrysler 2 March 6th 05 06:34 PM
'92 Plymouth Sundance - Burning Oil? Bobby Villamor Chrysler 10 December 16th 04 12:05 AM
'90 Sundance Headlight Assembly JohnKing Chrysler 6 November 24th 04 11:12 PM