A/C Refrigerant Hose blew up, can I use a hose form a 2.7l concordesame year?

Old September 3rd 08, 04:53 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
afx

Default A/C Refrigerant Hose blew up, can I use a hose form a 2.7l concordesame year?

I was having the refrigerant recharged in my concorde when the A/C
Refrigerant Hose litteraly blew up, well at least the rubber hose did.
2 questions, since its under such high pressure, is there a way to
just replace the rubber (damn ive been doing alot of that lately)
Secondly, is using a hose from a 2.7l 98 Concorde an option? They all
seem to look the same but I godda make sure.

I think thats it for today. I know I need to get a new receiver drier
so ill start with that.

1998 Concorde
160k miles
3.2l Engine
No AC
Old September 3rd 08, 10:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

AFX wrote:
> I was having the refrigerant recharged in my concorde when the A/C
> Refrigerant Hose litteraly blew up, well at least the rubber hose did.
> 2 questions, since its under such high pressure, is there a way to
> just replace the rubber (damn ive been doing alot of that lately)
> Secondly, is using a hose from a 2.7l 98 Concorde an option? They all
> seem to look the same but I godda make sure.
>
> I think thats it for today. I know I need to get a new receiver drier
> so ill start with that.
>

> 1998 Concorde
> 160k miles
> 3.2l Engine
> No AC

On the LH car forums, it is common practice to replace the 2.7 with the
3.2/3.5 if the 2.7 goes bad. They advise getting the peripherals with
the replacement engine, including the a.c. hoses, but they do say that
the old hoses *can* be re-used, but that they need to be bent slightly
to fit. So it sounds like it could be made to work. The hoses aren't
that expensive thru the dealer. When I replaced the evaporator in one
of my Concordes a couple of years ago, I replaced all the a.c. lines too.

--
Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old September 3rd 08, 03:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Steve B.

On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 20:53:57 -0700 (PDT), AFX > wrote:

>I was having the refrigerant recharged in my concorde when the A/C
>Refrigerant Hose litteraly blew up, well at least the rubber hose did.
>2 questions, since its under such high pressure, is there a way to
>just replace the rubber (damn ive been doing alot of that lately)
>Secondly, is using a hose from a 2.7l 98 Concorde an option? They all
>seem to look the same but I godda make sure.
>
>I think thats it for today. I know I need to get a new receiver drier
>so ill start with that.
>

>1998 Concorde
>160k miles
>3.2l Engine
>No AC

A competent A/C shop can replace the rubber part of the hose and reuse
your ends. Several in my neck of the woods will make them for you for
next to nothing if you pull the old hose off and take it to them.

Make sure the person charging the system is using the proper setup to
do so. They should have a manifold gauge to monitor both high and low
pressure while charging. The hose could have blown because the high
pressure went out of spec (or it could have just been a week spot on
an old hose).

Now that the hose has blown you will also need a new dryer and need
to pull the air/moisture out of the system with a vacuum pump. I
would probably replace the expansion device as well since the system
is already "open". You probably know all that already...

Steve B.
Old September 3rd 08, 09:47 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
afx

On Sep 3, 9:11*am, Steve B. > wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 20:53:57 -0700 (PDT), AFX > wrote:
> >I was having the refrigerant recharged in my concorde when the A/C
> >Refrigerant Hose litteraly blew up, well at least the rubber hose did.
> >2 questions, since its under such high pressure, is there a way to
> >just replace the rubber (damn ive been doing alot of that lately)
> >Secondly, is using a hose from a 2.7l 98 Concorde an option? They all
> >seem to look the same but I godda make sure.

> >I think thats it for today. I know I need to get a new receiver drier
> >so ill start with that.

> >1998 Concorde
> >160k miles
> >3.2l Engine
> >No AC

> A competent A/C shop can replace the rubber part of the hose and reuse
> your ends. *Several in my neck of the woods will make them for you for
> next to nothing if you pull the old hose off and take it to them.
>
> Make sure the person charging the system is using the proper setup to
> do so. *They should have a manifold gauge to monitor both high and low
> pressure while charging. The hose could have blown because the high
> pressure went out of spec (or it could have just been a week spot on
> an old hose).
>
> *Now that the hose has blown you will also need a new dryer and need
> to pull the air/moisture out of the system with a vacuum pump. *I
> would probably replace the expansion device as well since the system
> is already "open". *You probably know all that already... *
>
> * * * * * *Steve B.

Hmm. Ill have to check that out, I havent been able to find many shops
who havent tried to make me just buy the whole damn assembly though.
Old September 3rd 08, 11:12 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Bill Putney

Steve B. wrote:
> ...The hose could have blown because the high
> pressure went out of spec (or it could have just been a week spot on
> an old hose).

There is a high pressure relief valve on the compressor, so the hose was
probably weak.

Bill Putney
address with the letter 'x')
Old September 8th 08, 12:02 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.chrysler
Ted Mittelstaedt

"Steve B." > wrote in message
> On Tue, 2 Sep 2008 20:53:57 -0700 (PDT), AFX > wrote:
>
> >I was having the refrigerant recharged in my concorde when the A/C
> >Refrigerant Hose litteraly blew up, well at least the rubber hose did.
> >2 questions, since its under such high pressure, is there a way to
> >just replace the rubber (damn ive been doing alot of that lately)
> >Secondly, is using a hose from a 2.7l 98 Concorde an option? They all
> >seem to look the same but I godda make sure.
> >
> >I think thats it for today. I know I need to get a new receiver drier
> >so ill start with that.
> >

> >1998 Concorde
> >160k miles
> >3.2l Engine
> >No AC

> A competent A/C shop can replace the rubber part of the hose and reuse
> your ends. Several in my neck of the woods will make them for you for
> next to nothing if you pull the old hose off and take it to them.
>
> Make sure the person charging the system is using the proper setup to
> do so. They should have a manifold gauge to monitor both high and low
> pressure while charging. The hose could have blown because the high
> pressure went out of spec (or it could have just been a week spot on
> an old hose).
>
> Now that the hose has blown you will also need a new dryer

If he stopped the car and quickly sealed off the ends right after
the hose blew, he will likely be fine with the dryer.

> and need
> to pull the air/moisture out of the system with a vacuum pump.

Yup.

> would probably replace the expansion device as well since the system
> is already "open".

No need, but checking the filter screen going into the expansion
orifice would be a good idea.

He also likely will have lost considerable oil. During an explosive
decompression the oil will go rushing out of the system, unlike if the
freon loss is gradual.

Ted

Fix one problem, heres another. AC Hose blew up afx Chrysler 9 October 22nd 07 03:03 PM
What hose is this? Tom Y Technology 9 May 17th 07 11:01 PM
A/C drain hose [email protected] Chrysler 1 August 26th 05 01:17 PM
Looking For Bypass Hose Puffy Alfa Romeo 0 April 21st 05 01:49 AM
GTI Hose Replacement Kent VW water cooled 5 October 23rd 04 04:28 AM