2008 Miata - slipping out of 4th gear?

Old July 29th 08, 05:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
[email protected]

Default 2008 Miata - slipping out of 4th gear?

I have a brand spanking new 2008 Miata (only 90 miles on it when I got
it last week!) with a 6 speed transmission. I have 600 miles on it
now and noticed something strange and I don't know if it's me or the
car. I generally shift around 2500-3000 rpm for faster acceleration
and don't rev the engine more than 3100 - 3200. The last time I drove
a manual was a '85 Isuzu Trooper with only 4 speeds so I'm relearning
my shifting techniques.

What happens is I'll be in 4th gear and all of a sudden the stick
shift pops out into neutral. The first time it happened I was very
surprised as this had never happened to me in a manual car before. I
just put the clutch in and popped it back into 4th.

The 2nd time it happened, I noticed that I was around 3K rpm. I tried
revving higher in 4th thinking that maybe these newer manual
transmissions were telling me I needed to get into the next gear, but
I couldn't force it to pop out into neutral anywhere between 2000 -
3500 rpm in fourth gear.

The 3rd time it happened, I noticed again that I was around 3000 rpm
when it popped into neutral. Again tried revving higher but I
couldn't duplicate it.

Is this normal? Or do I have a defective 4th gear? It doesn't happen
all the time, but the fact that it has happened 3 times in less than a
week concerns me.

I made sure my hand wasn't anywhere near it the last two times (so I
know my hand isn't hitting the knob), the clutch was out (no foot on
the clutch) in all 3 times, it's always happened when it's been a
fairly straight road, not really accelerating to shift into 5th but
just cruising along. It only has happened in the 4th gear, it hasn't
occurred in any other gears.

I guess my next step is to check with the dealer, as I'm sure it's
covered under warranty. I would appreciate any ideas.
Old July 29th 08, 06:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chuck[_11_]

Defective Transmission. At 600 miles, the dealer should replace the
transmission (or the whole car)
You should actually shift at a little higher RPM than 3000 or so. That's
about when the engine starts to develop decent power.
Miata engines are designed for higher RPM use than most american engines.

Old July 30th 08, 11:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
George Jetson

Not normal at all. I suggest a trip to the dealer. The only problem I've
heard with the 6 speed (2006-2008), is, a few have gotten stuck in 3rd gear
caused by a defective casting of the 3rd gear shifting fork and the fork
breaking.

Jim

2006 GG MX-5 6MT

Old August 2nd 08, 09:40 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
J.

Thank you both. I have an appointment with the dealer to look at it
next week. I hope they can verify the problem and fix it. Good thing
it was caught early and still under warranty.
Old August 4th 08, 10:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo

When you get it back don't forget what Chuck said. You're not getting 1/10th
of the fun / performance out of your car shifting at 3000. Put your foot
into it and run it up to 5000 as a regular thing and keep it planted up to /
near redline for the real fun! You won't be able to get the smile off your
face.

Chris
99BBB

Old August 5th 08, 12:33 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

"Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:

> When you get it back don't forget what Chuck said. You're not
> getting 1/10th of the fun / performance out of your car shifting
> at 3000. Put your foot into it and run it up to 5000 as a regular
> thing and keep it planted up to / near redline for the real fun!
> You won't be able to get the smile off your face.

With an even bigger smile on the face of the guy behind you as he
switches on the lights and siren and flexes his ticket writing
fingers.....

The Usenet Improvement Project:
http://improve-usenet.org
Old August 5th 08, 03:14 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Carol[_3_]

>Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote in message
.. .
> When you get it back don't forget what Chuck said. You're not getting
> 1/10th of the fun / performance out of your car shifting at 3000. Put your
> foot into it and run it up to 5000 as a regular thing and keep it planted
> up to / near redline for the real fun! You won't be able to get the smile
> off your face.
>
> Chris
> 99BBB
>
> "J." > wrote in message
>> Thank you both. I have an appointment with the dealer to look at it
>> next week. I hope they can verify the problem and fix it. Good thing
>> it was caught early and still under warranty.

I did this TWICE on the way to work this morning - the lid was down and I
was the only car in sight. MAN does this car move. It was SO MUCH FUN!! Now
I need to install a bunch of stuff to tighten up the whole body and take it
to Austin for Lime Creek Road. Where DID I leave that check book... :-)

Old August 5th 08, 10:16 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chuck[_11_]

If you think it moves now, wait until you have the chance to drive a
supercharged or turbocharged Miata.
My 99 (on a good day) will develop around 220 HP at the rear wheels. Stock
was about 110HP.
(And, there are those that have really gone to the "dark side" with around
300HP out of an NB engine.)

I'm waiting to see if and when a similar mod is available for the NC
versions.

Old August 5th 08, 01:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
pws[_1_]

Chuck wrote:
> If you think it moves now, wait until you have the chance to drive a
> supercharged or turbocharged Miata.
> My 99 (on a good day) will develop around 220 HP at the rear wheels. Stock
> was about 110HP.
> (And, there are those that have really gone to the "dark side" with around
> 300HP out of an NB engine.)
>
> I'm waiting to see if and when a similar mod is available for the NC
> versions.

Mixed feelings about all that additional power as well.

I rapped my last Miata to redline constantly and it was fun, but it
never really got that fast since it probably had about 140hp and weighed
maybe 300 pounds more than my current one.

If I apply the same type of behavior to my turbo miata that is set up
similarly to your's, my license to drive will be gone soon, but there
are places to open it up. :-)

That "funner to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow", but I have
to admit, the power is a rush.
Over 200 HP for a car that is just over 2000 pounds is pretty quick,
especially for one that still handles so well.

Pat

Old August 5th 08, 04:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
XS11E[_3_]

"Chuck" > wrote:

> If you think it moves now, wait until you have the chance to drive
> a supercharged or turbocharged Miata.

My stock 1.6 has all the power I want or need. If I wanted to go fast
I would have got a Corvette or a Viper. Balance is much more important
than speed.

The Usenet Improvement Project:
http://improve-usenet.org

94 Miata popping out of fifth gear Doug Wilson Mazda 6 September 10th 06 03:17 AM
Ford Windstar Transmission Slipping in First Gear KC Technology 6 April 17th 06 02:55 AM
gear slipping Vassie VW air cooled 1 November 4th 05 06:20 PM
95 honda passport Gear slipping? DaveUSA 4x4 2 November 24th 04 12:35 AM