Taxing Drivers By The Mile

Old February 17th 05, 05:06 AM
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Bob Ward wrote:

> On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 02:15:50 GMT, "ameijers"
> > wrote:
>

> >"Bob Ward" > wrote in message
> >news
> >> On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 23:35:08 GMT, "ameijers"
> >>

> >(snip)
> >>
> >> You don't suppose disabling the transponder would also disable the gas
> >> pump, do you?

> >Unless they have a mandantory retrofit of old cars, many of which have no
> >way to make the mechanical speedometer talk to a transmitter, they would not
> >be able to take that approach. Or are they gonna make everyone crush their
> >old cars and buy new ones?
> >
> >aem sends...

> I think that's why there is talk of using GPS - no need to interface
> to a mechanical speedometer - the GPS module calculates how far the
> car is driven and it then talks to the gas pump. You want to buy gas
> for your clunker and drive it on the roads, you get the tamper-proof
> box installed on it - or leave it parked.

I hope they bring their own power source. My VW has a 6 volt system.

On my other cars, its funny how the GPS fuse keeps blowing just before a
long trip.

--
Paul Hovnanian
Don't upset me! I'm running out of places to hide the bodies.
Old February 17th 05, 05:10 AM
Robert Morien

In article >,
"Paul" > wrote:

> "Ed Stasiak" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > http://tinyurl.com/6kuzj

> <snip>
>
> Here's a radical thought: Why don't the state government(s) clean their
> friggin' house out (a good start would be telling the federal government
> to take its highway funds (and the requirements that come with them) and
> shove them) and get rid of the layers of bureaucracy and compliance with
> about 100% of the stupid crap that has nothing to do with the road
> itself or the people impacted by it and just maybe the states would be
> able to get by without raising the gas tax or this tax per mile
> scheme....

nope, let them be, just tax any funds, dinners, trips, or other gifties
that they receive while campaigning or in office.
Old February 17th 05, 05:13 AM
Robert Morien

In article >,
"Ed Stasiak" > wrote:

> > "Nate Nagel" > wrote
> >
> > I could probably design something fairly cheap and easy
> > for the mileage counter portion of the transponder, but I
> > don't think I *would...*

> I wouldn't be surprised if the legislation for this included
> yearly and/or random checks (a cop pulling you over for
> speeding could easily check to see if your vehicle was
> compliant).to make sure tech savvy car owners haven't
> found a way around the system.
>
> Also, does anybody really believe that this 'tax-by-the-mile'
> plan would replace the gas tax and not simply be another
> tax we're forced to pay?
>
> And I have no doubt that it will eventually be implemented
> regardless of how many hybrid cars are on the road and
> despite the tax revenue windfall for the states, we still won't
> see any improvements in our roads.
>
> I'd also like to know how charging higher fees during rush
> hour will cut down on rush hour traffic? Who in their right
> mind would willingly get on the highway at 5:00pm if they
> didn't have too?
>
> Either way, this idea is _so_ stupid, expensive and intrusive
> that it's virtually assured of implementation. After all, this is
> the government we're talking about....

Traffic in london where they charge $10 per day to drive during the
hours of 7am to 6pm is down 30%

Charge more during rush hour will cause more drivers to demand their
employers change shift hours

or

more people work from home using intranets
Old February 17th 05, 06:57 AM

it should definatly be at the pump

they should also have a insurance rider on the gas price also that way
when you are out of gas you are out of car insurance

they should also not sell gasoline unless you have aa drivers licence
to get these freaks who drive without licences and insurance off the
road

also since the gas guzzlers use more gas they cover for more insurance
fees

as to road tax evasion by using hybrid cars well they are generally
ligher and do way less damage to the roads so bigger vehicles will pay
more

i think its mostly heavy tractor trailor trucks and heavy delivery
vans ups,fexex moving vans and such

charging by the mile is way to easy to fraud and i dont want a
government devic plugged into my electrical system

pay at the pump seems the easiest way

and if someone makes a car run on water i say you can drive for free
on the roads

and if you want to try running your car on coleman white gas go ahead
Old February 17th 05, 12:50 PM
Larry Bud

Sherman Cahal wrote:
> Random Waftings Of Bunker Blasts wrote:
> > You know what they need to do?
> >
> > Regulate SUV's as commercial vehicles.
> >
> > A lot of our problems would be solved then.

> Oh I definately agree! Tax SUV owners, who currently register it as a
> "truck" when its clearly not. I got another proposal: Tax by the

EPA's
> MPG estimates. People who get below 20 MPG on the highway or 10 MPG

in
> the city should pay more, and so forth.

They already are taxed because of the amount of gas they consume.

Old February 17th 05, 01:25 PM
Gary V

The argument in favor of GPS tracking is that then they will only
charge you for the miles you travel in your state. For example,
imagine OR passes this, and then you take a roadtrip from Portland,OR
to Portland, ME. 7000 miles later you get back to OR with your
transponder. You pull up to the pump, and suddenly they charge you
$24.00 for gas and $87.00 for miles. GAAAK!

And these politicians aren't going to charge *you* anything to get the
transponder - they'll just make it mandatory equipment on new cars, and
let the automakers pay. Yeah, right - guess who ultimately pays for
that? Either the cost is passed on to the consumer, or the automaker
goes broke and the cost is passed on to the newly unemployed. Not to
mention your 401(k).

If you need more money, raise the gas tax. Index it to keep it
"constant dollars" - either make it a gas sales tax by percentage, or
better yet index it to general inflation (which removes the vagarities
of oil price fluctuations).

As far as mass transit, that generally costs more to provide than
automobiles. It also doesn't necessarily go where you need to go -
ever try to bring home a dozen 2x4's from Home Depot on the bus? or 15
bags of groceries? If mass transit suddenly gained millions of riders,
there would be even less money raised through gas or mile taxes - so
now how you gonna pay for it? (Remember, fares *don't* cover
expenses.)

If congestion pricing is really needed, then just make the roads
rush-hour-only toll. You can't get on that freeway from 6:00-9:00 am
unless you have an EZ-Pass. Gains gov't the money, makes it optional
for the driver - but that's probably too simple.

Old February 17th 05, 01:42 PM
Paul

"Gary V" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> The argument in favor of GPS tracking is that then they will only
> charge you for the miles you travel in your state. For example,
> imagine OR passes this, and then you take a roadtrip from Portland,OR
> to Portland, ME. 7000 miles later you get back to OR with your
> transponder. You pull up to the pump, and suddenly they charge you
> $24.00 for gas and $87.00 for miles. GAAAK!

And I'm sure those states outside of OR in your example will just love
the fact that you are paying tax to OR for driving on their roads....

Old February 17th 05, 01:46 PM
Paul

"Ed Stasiak" > wrote in message
> > "Nate Nagel" > wrote
> >
> > I could probably design something fairly cheap and easy
> > for the mileage counter portion of the transponder, but I
> > don't think I *would...*

> I wouldn't be surprised if the legislation for this included
> yearly and/or random checks (a cop pulling you over for
> speeding could easily check to see if your vehicle was
> compliant).to make sure tech savvy car owners haven't
> found a way around the system.

Or just set up "DUI check points," (or "papers checkpoints," if you
prefer) under the guise of "safety," and do the compliance check
then....

--

"Comrade, YOUR PAPERS PLEASE! NOW!"

Old February 17th 05, 01:50 PM
Paul

"Paul Hovnanian P.E." > wrote in message

> I wonder how many different adapters that would require.

The government couldn't care less, you either comply with the law or get
off the road as far as they are concerned.

> And what about my old VW (pickup off the front wheel)?

See above.

Actually, I did not think of it before, but if its GPS based, there
really is no need to connect it to the car's speed measuring devices.

Old February 17th 05, 02:00 PM
Paul

Stasiak wrote:
> > States Mull Taxing Drivers By Mile

> <snip>
>
> This isn't about SUVs people. It's
> about logging everywhere you drive.

That's eventually what it will get to...

> There was this idiot caller to a radio
> show yakking the whole bit about
> how he doesn't do 'anything illegal'
> and 'has nothing to hide'. Idiots.

Oh, his time will come....

> And those who say the government 'won't
> be watching ordinary folks' because there
> are 'too many people'. That's right they won't.
> But when the government decides you
> need to be 'looked into' or if you speak out
> against it, or anything else that brings you
> to it's attention, or some person with the power
> to access the data who has a grudge against you,
> your logs will be pulled and reviewed.
> That strip club you pass on your
> way to work suddenly becomes an issue
> as the facts are twisted when you run
> for a seat on the school board......

Or maybe your auto insurance company pulls the logs and sees you pass by
a liquor store every day (why, he must be a heavy drinker, jack up his
rates...) or your HMO sees that you are in the vicinity of a McDonalds
on a daily basis regardless of whether or not you actually patronize
those businesses...

--

"Comrade, YOUR PAPERS, PLEASE!!! NOW!!!"