How long do Luxury cars like Infinity Q45 last?

Old October 29th 08, 10:11 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.misc
[email protected]

Default How long do Luxury cars like Infinity Q45 last?

I need a 2nd car for the family. Saw an 1998 Infinity Q45 151k mile
car for sale around 5.5k from someone in our company.

The sellers claims the car can easily go to 300k. Is that true? seller
claims No accidents - Clean CARFAX.

what type of maintenance and repairs are expected for cars of this
age?

If I can get say 5 years out of it with reasonable amount of
maintenance then I am happy.

Thanks.

Raymond
Old October 30th 08, 01:06 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.misc
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Ashton Crusher wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 22:11:15 +0000 (UTC), wrote:
>
>> I need a 2nd car for the family. Saw an 1998 Infinity Q45 151k mile
>> car for sale around 5.5k from someone in our company.
>>
>> The sellers claims the car can easily go to 300k. Is that true? seller
>> claims No accidents - Clean CARFAX.
>>
>> what type of maintenance and repairs are expected for cars of this
>> age?
>>
>> If I can get say 5 years out of it with reasonable amount of
>> maintenance then I am happy.
>>
>> Thanks.
>>
>> Raymond

> Any car can potentially go 300K but few do. A friend has a 300K geo
> metro. The issue I see with luxury imports at that mileage is that if
> something does break it's almost always expensive to fix. For the
> same 5.5K you could by a much lower mileage non-lux car. I think I
> saw an Altima for that price a few days ago that was newer then 98 and
> less then 100K miles. I think most of the kind of car you are looking
> at, like the older Q45 get traded in and not many wind up getting sold
> on the private market. I've often wondered if most of those kinds of
> trade ins get sent to a crusher rather then resold because it seems
> like you hardly ever see these kind of older lux cars on the streets.
> It seems like they get to be 8 years old and then they all just
> disappear.

I think that's likely because those that can afford them can also afford
a newer one. Those that only have the purchase price of the used luxury
car to spend either do as you say, or else roll the dice and then when
the luxury car breaks something expensive and they can't patch them up
they just send them to the junkyard. because, as you say, the parts
prices are related to initial purchase price, not *used* purchase price.

Of course, there are those that know what they're getting into, and may
purchase a 20 year old Porsche for a daily, because they can. (not
mentioning anyone in particular, of course.)

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.
http://members.cox.net/njnagel
Old October 30th 08, 01:57 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.misc
Studemania

On Oct 29, 3:53*pm, Nate Nagel > wrote:
> wrote:
> > I need a 2nd car for the family. Saw an 1998 Infinity Q45 151k mile
> > car for sale around 5.5k from someone in our company.

> > The sellers claims the car can easily go to 300k. Is that true? seller
> > claims No accidents - Clean CARFAX.

> > what type of maintenance and repairs are expected for cars of this
> > age?

> > If I can get say 5 years out of it with reasonable amount of
> > maintenance then I am happy.

> > Thanks.

> > Raymond

> Any decent car properly maintained will likely last to 300K miles, *IF*
> properly maintained.
>
> That said, for a "keep it forever" driver I'd probably go for something
> simpler, like a VW Golf/Jetta or Toyota Corolla, preferably with few
> power options and a stickshift. *Why? *Less "stuff" to break. *Also,
> condition is very important - keep in mind that while the basic
> mechanicals might go 500K or more, eventually you'll have to put new
> struts and bushings in it, and also body rust can kill an otherwise good
> car. *In other words, just evaluate on a case by case basis.
>
> nate
>
> --
> replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel- Hide quoted text -

Also,read the test reeports from when it was new and any long-term
reposrts. If it still looks good, take it for a weekend and let all
drivers handle it.
A son of Marilyn fell for a new car and was all set to buy it. I told
him to borrow it for weekend. He called me mid-weekend tallking about
what a POS it was and thanking me so very much.

Karl
Old October 30th 08, 02:52 AM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.misc
Bill[_12_]

> wrote in message ...
>
> I need a 2nd car for the family. Saw an 1998 Infinity Q45 151k mile
> car for sale around 5.5k from someone in our company.
>
> The sellers claims the car can easily go to 300k. Is that true? seller
> claims No accidents - Clean CARFAX.
>
> what type of maintenance and repairs are expected for cars of this
> age?
>
> If I can get say 5 years out of it with reasonable amount of
> maintenance then I am happy.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Raymond

I just sold my 92 J30 two years ago. I had around 140k miles on it. I took
good care of it, and it returned the favor. The biggest problem I had was
the sunroof system need repair a few times.

- B

Old October 31st 08, 01:30 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,rec.autos.misc
krp

> wrote in message ...
>
> I need a 2nd car for the family. Saw an 1998 Infinity Q45 151k mile
> car for sale around 5.5k from someone in our company.
>
> The sellers claims the car can easily go to 300k. Is that true? seller
> claims No accidents - Clean CARFAX.

Well only part of the issue is accidents. Have a mechanic look at it.
The Infinity is a good car and 300K is not out of the range of possibility.
If it has been using synthetic oil I'd bet on at least 300K.