should I keep it?

Old March 22nd 05, 05:37 AM
Snuffy Smiff

Default should I keep it?

It's a '96 SL2, white with tan, exceptional condition, 89,250 miles, needs
struts and motor mounts(I think-where's the cheapest place to buy 'em?),
tires are good but starting to dry rot. Interior is perfect, exterior has a
few paint gouges. Rear windows have issues and need something(?) Non-smoker,
non-pets, non-children. AC works great. It runs, drives, shifts, stops, all
REAL good(I never knew these things were so peppy!) If only I wasn't sitting
on the ground while driving. Hard to get used to when you've driven nothing
but full-size pickup trucks for the last 21 years.

My dad bought it from a man who was using it as a toad(tow'd?) behind a
motorhome, and my dad pulled it behind his for maybe a couple dozen times.
He just bought a new Honda CR-V for that and wants me to either sell it for
him or keep it. I'm really leaning towards keeping it due to gas prices but
my two prior back surgeries make me pay every time I have to climb up out of
it. I got a fix for that-a 2004 Silverado-but it only gets 16 mpg, even
whilst driving it like a great-grandmother. Good on the back but hard on the
wallet.

So, whaddya think-sell it or keep it? Anything I should go ahead and look at
to help me decide? What sort of future issues should I expect? Do these cars
usually bring close to KBB prices? Do I always ask so many questions? (no)

Thanks for any input,
Snuffy

Old March 23rd 05, 02:28 PM

> motor mounts(I think-where's the cheapest place to buy 'em?)

If you're lucky, you just need the top motor mount, which is probably
up to $90 or so from a dealer. I don't know of any place other than a
Saturn dealer to get those.

There are also two lower motor mounts ("dogbone" types) that are a bit
cheaper. But these don't wear out so quickly.

> I never knew these things were so peppy!

There's a lot of low-end torque, great for getting around town, in that
engine.

> tires are good but starting to dry rot.

Look at replacing the serpentine belt and coolant hoses too if they're
original. Also common wear items around the serpentine belt are the
idler pulley and tensioner, if those haven't ever been replaced you
might want to just do them.

> Rear windows have issues and need something(?)

Trouble going up and down (regulator) or leaking (door frame rust)?

Tim.

Old March 23rd 05, 02:34 PM
Bob Shuman

I just replaced the top motor mount (Torque Axis Mount) on a '96 SL. It was
about $75 total after taxes for the part. Our vehicle already had the
correct stem bolts, but I understand some may need to purchase these as well
so the cost may be higher. Replacement was pretty simple and took no more
than 5 minutes. The key is having a jack and block of wood or old telephone
book to support the engine at the oil pan during the procedure.

BTW, I had also priced the lower motor and transmission mounts at the same
time. I believe the motor side was about $70 and the transmission side was
in the middle 50's. Neither needed replacement on our vehicle, but at the
time I had not removed the plastic fender splash shields to take a look so
priced them to know in advance.

Bob

oups.com...

Old March 23rd 05, 02:50 PM
Scott MacIntyre

Just reminded me of a question I've always had about tow cars... First, how
would consider mileage? Yes the car has 80K on it, but the engine doesn't,
right? I know about wear & tear, but it's gotta be a PITA keeping track of
vehicle and then engine mileage...Second, I just was wondering about
people's thoughts on tow cars. On a motor home, wouldn't you rather trailer
the car instead of towing it with tow bars? What if something happened on
the tow car, like say a bearing started to go or you accidentally left the
hand brake on or the car in gear? You could do a lot of damage before you
realize it. Just curious if anyone one here has towed like that and if
there were special set-ups for the tow car to prevent/warn on damage or
problems....

Scott

oups.com...

Old April 1st 05, 05:00 AM
Mike

No brainer, keep it.

Repairs will cost about 1 car payment, or you can buy a new car and make 12
payments a year....