Can a cop pace you from the front

Old January 4th 05, 10:49 PM
jaybird

Default Can a cop pace you from the front

> So the cop passes the truck and pulls over to the right. I'm then ready to
> pull
> over behind him when he hits the brakes and I have to swerve back over to
> the
> left. I too hit the brakes as I know better than to pass a state trooper.

Holy crap, I'm surprised you didn't cause a wreck. There's no law saying
that you can't pass a state trooper.

> Eventually we both slow to about 55 mph clogging up both lanes of traffic
> (only
> 2 lanes in my direction). He then rolls down the window and waves me to
> past.
> Going about 50 I slowly pass him. He then flashes the light and turns them
> off.
> At that point I guess I should have hit the brakes and pulled over a few
> cars
> back, but I went by and the second I pulled over he hit the lights and
> pulled me
> over.

Get over already.......

> So I can find no where any mention of a pacing ticket where the speeder
> was
> never in front of the cop.

All you have to do is match the speed of the vehicle; it doesn't matter
whether it's from the front or behind.

> I know its difficult to get out of a pacing
> violation, but I've got to think its a lot more difficult to maintain
> distance
> when you're in front of someone. I should note it would seem like he was
> on a
> mission since 10 minutes after we left he had pulled another driver over.

Of course he's on a mission, it's called traffic enforcement. Why would you
feel the need to make a note of it?

> Also
> the fastest I could have possibly went was before he made those crazy hand
> motions which I guess would have meant that if he paced me then if I had
> pulled
> over to the right I wouldn't have gotten a ticket. Not to mention the fact
> that
> all the cars in front of him must have doing the same speed. I mentioned
> that to
> him and he said they were just using the left lane to pass slower traffic
> in the
> right. When I asked then what I was doing, he said "What do you want me to
> do,
> I'm a state trooper?" That makes a lot of sense. So do I have a legitimate
> case
> or should I just plea down (I already have a court date).

A legitimate case of what? It's a nice bedtime story but you never told us
if in fact you were speeding or anything specific to the charge. All I got
out of the story was a bunch of unneccesary babble about some lane changes
and clogged traffic.

--
---
jaybird

Old January 4th 05, 11:52 PM
Brent P

In article >, jaybird wrote:

> Holy crap, I'm surprised you didn't cause a wreck. There's no law saying
> that you can't pass a state trooper.

Some troopers are just like Carl Taylor and Judy. They are offended if
anyone passes them.

Old January 4th 05, 11:52 PM
Brent P

Old January 5th 05, 12:21 AM
Olaf Gustafson

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 21:49:42 GMT, "jaybird" > wrote:

>When I asked then what I was doing, he said "What do you want me to
>> do,
>> I'm a state trooper?" That makes a lot of sense. So do I have a legitimate
>> case
>> or should I just plea down (I already have a court date).

>A legitimate case of what? It's a nice bedtime story but you never told us
>if in fact you were speeding or anything specific to the charge. All I got
>out of the story was a bunch of unneccesary babble about some lane changes
>and clogged traffic.

You mean you didn't gather that the OP was a law-breaker?

Why else would a cop pull him over?
Old January 5th 05, 12:21 AM
Olaf Gustafson

Old January 5th 05, 12:23 AM
TCS

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 16:21:10 -0700, Olaf Gustafson > wrote:
>On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 21:49:42 GMT, "jaybird" > wrote:

>>When I asked then what I was doing, he said "What do you want me to
>>> do,
>>> I'm a state trooper?" That makes a lot of sense. So do I have a legitimate
>>> case
>>> or should I just plea down (I already have a court date).

>>A legitimate case of what? It's a nice bedtime story but you never told us
>>if in fact you were speeding or anything specific to the charge. All I got
>>out of the story was a bunch of unneccesary babble about some lane changes
>>and clogged traffic.

>You mean you didn't gather that the OP was a law-breaker?

>Why else would a cop pull him over?

To participate in highway robbery and assist in filling the town's coffers.
Old January 5th 05, 12:23 AM
TCS

Old January 5th 05, 12:56 AM
Andrew Tsen

RD > wrote:

[snip'd the long ass story]
> So I can find no where any mention of a pacing ticket where the speeder was
> never in front of the cop. I know its difficult to get out of a pacing
> violation, but I've got to think its a lot more difficult to maintain distance
> when you're in front of someone. I should note it would seem like he was on a
> mission since 10 minutes after we left he had pulled another driver over. Also
> the fastest I could have possibly went was before he made those crazy hand
> motions which I guess would have meant that if he paced me then if I had pulled
> over to the right I wouldn't have gotten a ticket. Not to mention the fact that
> all the cars in front of him must have doing the same speed. I mentioned that to
> him and he said they were just using the left lane to pass slower traffic in the
> right. When I asked then what I was doing, he said "What do you want me to do,
> I'm a state trooper?" That makes a lot of sense. So do I have a legitimate case
> or should I just plea down (I already have a court date).

Next time, overtake the right lane and move out of the left as to not draw
any attention. If that means waiting for the cop to disappear ahead of you.

You probably shouldn't be relying on any information found on the usenet,
but see if you can find any loop hole in the following...

http://members.aol.com/StatutesP1/75PA3368.html

Just curious... what was the citation that he gave you?

Old January 5th 05, 12:56 AM
Andrew Tsen

[snip'd the long ass story]

Old January 5th 05, 02:19 AM
James C. Reeves

"TCS" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 16:21:10 -0700, Olaf Gustafson > wrote:
>>On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 21:49:42 GMT, "jaybird" > wrote:

>>>When I asked then what I was doing, he said "What do you want me to
>>>
>>>A legitimate case of what? It's a nice bedtime story but you never told
>>>us
>>>if in fact you were speeding or anything specific to the charge. All I
>>>got
>>>out of the story was a bunch of unneccesary babble about some lane
>>>changes
>>>and clogged traffic.

>>You mean you didn't gather that the OP was a law-breaker?

>>Why else would a cop pull him over?

> To participate in highway robbery and assist in filling the town's
> coffers.

Not to mention personal quota bonuses.