Cruiser Reliability Report

Old February 1st 05, 02:17 AM
Richard

Default Cruiser Reliability Report

I love my 01 Cruiser Limited with 62,000 miles; yes I do. But I just got it
back from the dealer after a recall repair.

The dealer reported that I need a new radiator and water pump; $550.00 or
so.

I need new front suspension links and sway bar links; $600.00.

I need a new transmission sending unit: $450.00.

In the past I have changed out 3 wheel bearings and rear sway bar links.

The guys in Mexico did a superb job on assembly; perhaps Chrysler needs to
give them better parts.

Richard.

Old February 1st 05, 02:26 AM
CopperTop

Maybe you need to get a second opinion from another dealer or mechanic and
not tell him what this one said.

===================

Old February 1st 05, 04:06 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005, Richard wrote:

> I love my 01 Cruiser Limited with 62,000 miles; yes I do. But I just got
> it back from the dealer after a recall repair.
>
> The dealer reported that I need a new radiator and water pump; $550.00
> or so. I need new front suspension links and sway bar links; $600.00. I
> need a new transmission sending unit: $450.00.

You need a second opinion from a non-dealer.
Old February 1st 05, 04:23 PM
Richard

"Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
n.umich.edu...
> On Tue, 1 Feb 2005, Richard wrote:
>
>> I love my 01 Cruiser Limited with 62,000 miles; yes I do. But I just got
>> it back from the dealer after a recall repair.
>>
>> The dealer reported that I need a new radiator and water pump; $550.00
>> or so. I need new front suspension links and sway bar links; $600.00. I
>> need a new transmission sending unit: $450.00.

> You need a second opinion from a non-dealer.

Well, I reviewed the paperwork and saw the actual dealer prices. I went out
and found a new lifetime warranty radiator for $99.99 instead of $327.00 and
a shop that will put it in for $180.00 plus the cost of coolant instead of
$255.00.

I picked up an OEM thermostat for $16.00 including a new vinyl gasket.

So that's about $300.00 instead of $580.00!

The Solenoid for the transmission is working to perfection with a small
fluid leak. The dealer wants $235 for the part and $125 to screw it in. I'll
pass on this for now. The leak is very small and fluid is cheap.

The dealer wants $110 for the front end links and bushings and $220 to put
them in. I'll either do this myself once the 0 degree F weather passes or
find an independent shop.

Richard.

Old February 1st 05, 05:13 PM
indago

050201 1023 - Richard posted:

> "Daniel J. Stern" > wrote in message
> n.umich.edu...
>> On Tue, 1 Feb 2005, Richard wrote:
>>
>>> I love my 01 Cruiser Limited with 62,000 miles; yes I do. But I just got
>>> it back from the dealer after a recall repair.
>>>
>>> The dealer reported that I need a new radiator and water pump; $550.00
>>> or so. I need new front suspension links and sway bar links; $600.00. I
>>> need a new transmission sending unit: $450.00.

>> You need a second opinion from a non-dealer.

> Well, I reviewed the paperwork and saw the actual dealer prices. I went out
> and found a new lifetime warranty radiator for $99.99 instead of $327.00 and
> a shop that will put it in for $180.00 plus the cost of coolant instead of
> $255.00.
>
> I picked up an OEM thermostat for $16.00 including a new vinyl gasket.
>
> So that's about $300.00 instead of $580.00!
>
> The Solenoid for the transmission is working to perfection with a small
> fluid leak. The dealer wants $235 for the part and $125 to screw it in. I'll
> pass on this for now. The leak is very small and fluid is cheap.
>
> The dealer wants $110 for the front end links and bushings and $220 to put
> them in. I'll either do this myself once the 0 degree F weather passes or
> find an independent shop.
>
> Richard.

Sounds like a plan...

Old February 1st 05, 06:46 PM

On 1-Feb-2005, "Richard" <rfeirste at nycap.rr.com> wrote:

> The dealer wants $110 for the front end links and bushings and $220 to put
>
> them in. I'll either do this myself once the 0 degree F weather passes or
> find an independent shop.

Front and rear suspension bushings are a common problem with early PTs,
according to PTCruiser.com
http://www.ptcruizer.com/repairs-pt-cruiser.html
They are starting to go on my 2001 (build in late-May 2000), which just
rolled over 40,000. Haven't talked to the dealer yet about what Chrysler
will do about it.

x-- UNLIMITED DOWNLOAD

Old February 1st 05, 10:17 PM
SRG

My 2002 Limited Edition PT has about 54k miles on it, last week, the
solenoid pack was also leaking a little, AND the power steering gear was
also leaking a little. I had them done, at the dealer, but only because I
still have the extended warranty. It was about $775 and the "Advisor"
reminded me these prices is what the dealer was allowed to bill to Chrysler,
deeply discounted. If I would have been paying the whole bill, it would
have been much more. I ended up paying only the $100 deductable .

Yeah, owners should get opinions from other dealers and private shops, but
the original poster's thought seemed to be that even though the build
quality was good, the wear-out quality sucks. I'm beginning to agree, and
both my wife and I own PT's and love them.....

SRG

Old February 1st 05, 10:25 PM
Richard

As noted, the dealer wanted $330.00 for the front links and bushings. A
local spring/suspension shop agreed to do the whole package for $135.00,
using name brand, non-dealer sourced parts, where available.

Richard.