Dempsey Babies

Old December 25th 09, 01:37 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.cichlids
JK Coney

Default Dempsey Babies

So I added fish to be a "dither" for my Green Terrors beating on each
other. A few black tetras, 2 giant danios, another Terror, and finally a
pair of small Jack Dempseys. Well to my surprise the smaller JD laid eggs on
a rock in a cave, and the bigger one totally took over. He chased her out
and beat the daylights out of her, and to my surprise a few days later he
swims out with a huge brood around him! There's no way these guys can
survive in this tank, so I scooped a bunch up and put them in a small
floating fry box. I don't have another tank anymore, so we'll see how long
they last this way. The Terrors have calmed down and are mild mannered
compared to the JD.

--
JK Sinrod
www.MyConeyIslandMemories.com

Old December 29th 09, 05:06 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.cichlids
JK Coney

"JK Coney" wrote in message
So I added fish to be a "dither" for my Green Terrors beating on each
other. A few black tetras, 2 giant danios, another Terror, and finally a
pair of small Jack Dempseys. Well to my surprise the smaller JD laid eggs
on

I never had Cichlids behave like these Dempseys. He just chases and
beats the crap out of her for a few days, then shimmy's and tries to mate
for a day, then back to bullying her. He won't share egg duty with her at
all. Weird or regular behavior?

Old December 29th 09, 01:34 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.cichlids

On Tue, 29 Dec 2009 05:06:49 -0000, JK Coney wrote:

"JK Coney" wrote in message
So I added fish to be a "dither" for my Green Terrors beating on
each
other. A few black tetras, 2 giant danios, another Terror, and finally a
pair of small Jack Dempseys. Well to my surprise the smaller JD laid
eggs
on

I never had Cichlids behave like these Dempseys. He just chases and
beats the crap out of her for a few days, then shimmy's and tries to mate
for a day, then back to bullying her. He won't share egg duty with her at
all. Weird or regular behavior?

I suppose in the wild the females just vanish from the scene until ready
to spawn again.

How are the babies doing?
Old December 30th 09, 12:54 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.cichlids
JK Coney

news[email protected]

"JK Coney" wrote in message
So I added fish to be a "dither" for my Green Terrors beating on
each
other. A few black tetras, 2 giant danios, another Terror, and finally a
pair of small Jack Dempseys. Well to my surprise the smaller JD laid
eggs
on

I never had Cichlids behave like these Dempseys. He just chases and
beats the crap out of her for a few days, then shimmy's and tries to mate
for a day, then back to bullying her. He won't share egg duty with her at
all. Weird or regular behavior?

I suppose in the wild the females just vanish from the scene until ready
to spawn again.

The other Cichlids I've had mated and loved each other 24/7

How are the babies doing?

GONZO....... lasted 2 day2 in the protected breeder. Next time I'll just
let them swim free, and hope 1 or 2 can hide out from the mob. I doubt it.

Old December 30th 09, 01:51 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.cichlids

On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 00:54:51 -0000, JK Coney wrote:

news[email protected]
wrote:

"JK Coney" wrote in message
So I added fish to be a "dither" for my Green Terrors beating on
each
other. A few black tetras, 2 giant danios, another Terror, and
finally a
pair of small Jack Dempseys. Well to my surprise the smaller JD laid
eggs
on

I never had Cichlids behave like these Dempseys. He just chases and
beats the crap out of her for a few days, then shimmy's and tries to
mate
for a day, then back to bullying her. He won't share egg duty with her
at
all. Weird or regular behavior?

I suppose in the wild the females just vanish from the scene until ready
to spawn again.

The other Cichlids I've had mated and loved each other 24/7

Cichlids vary so much.

Most Malawi cichlid males continually harass the females and give them a
very hard time if sex ratios are equal.
Some of the Central Americans are out & out wife killers and can't be kept
together.

Other types from different regions in the world bond together as a pair
"til death do us part"
Angels, Discus etc.
Old January 4th 10, 05:08 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.cichlids
JK Coney

" (((" wrote in message
news[email protected]
On Wed, 30 Dec 2009 00:54:51 -0000, JK Coney
I never had Cichlids behave like these Dempseys. He just chases and
beats the crap out of her for a few days, then shimmy's and tries to
mate
for a day, then back to bullying her. He won't share egg duty with her
at
all. Weird or regular behavior?

I suppose in the wild the females just vanish from the scene until ready
to spawn again.

The other Cichlids I've had mated and loved each other 24/7

Cichlids vary so much.

With this 2nd batch, they worked together to guard the eggs and
protect. Well now there's a role reversal again. She's tending the newly
hatched fry by herself, and chasing him away. So interesting to watch these
guys.

Old January 8th 10, 04:43 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.cichlids
JK Coney

Exactly what do the adults do to keep the free swimming fry alive that I
can't? I've tried a couple times to remove some to a hanging breeder, and
they all die within hours. Water is the same, and I add a drop or 2 of fry
food.