2006 530i - High Battery Drain

Old August 16th 06, 02:41 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jim[_11_]

Default 2006 530i - High Battery Drain

"persist" > wrote in message
>I picked up the car from the port and the battery was dead.
>
> The dealer replaced the battery.
>
> Recently, it displays a warning: High Battery Drain. Car still starts
> but I'm guessing the battery is living on borrowed time.
>
> I have an appointment next week to get it repaired and I intend to ask
> for another new battery after they've diagnsed and repaired the source
> of the problem.
>
> Any ideas or experience as to what this problem could be?
>
> Have a problem with the universal garage door opener. When I initially
> programed it, it worked fine. Now it's opening and closing my other
> garage door.
>
> Appreciate any advice.
>
> --
> persist

It is most unlikely that two batteries would fail. It is much more likely
that there is a short somewhere that is causing excessive battery drain.

The old fashioned way to check would be to disconnect the battery. If there
is a spark on reconnection, there must be a short somewhere. You can also
measure the current with a VOM. The current with every thing off (you
cannot actually cut every thing off) should lie in the milliamp range.

On a new car, it is the dealership's job to find it. Wish them luck; these
things can be hard to locate.

Jim

Old August 16th 06, 07:37 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
bfd

Jim wrote:
> "persist" > wrote in message
> >I picked up the car from the port and the battery was dead.
> >
> > The dealer replaced the battery.
> >
> > Recently, it displays a warning: High Battery Drain. Car still starts
> > but I'm guessing the battery is living on borrowed time.
> >
> > I have an appointment next week to get it repaired and I intend to ask
> > for another new battery after they've diagnsed and repaired the source
> > of the problem.
> >
> > Any ideas or experience as to what this problem could be?
> >
> > Have a problem with the universal garage door opener. When I initially
> > programed it, it worked fine. Now it's opening and closing my other
> > garage door.
> >
> > Appreciate any advice.
> >
> > --
> > persist

> It is most unlikely that two batteries would fail. It is much more likely
> that there is a short somewhere that is causing excessive battery drain.
>
> The old fashioned way to check would be to disconnect the battery. If there
> is a spark on reconnection, there must be a short somewhere. You can also
> measure the current with a VOM. The current with every thing off (you
> cannot actually cut every thing off) should lie in the milliamp range.
>
> On a new car, it is the dealership's job to find it. Wish them luck; these
> things can be hard to locate.

Good points. Further, you don't say where you're located, but if your
state has "lemon laws," you may want to remind the dealer about it....

Old August 16th 06, 09:18 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
Jim > wrote:
> The old fashioned way to check would be to disconnect the battery. If
> there is a spark on reconnection, there must be a short somewhere.

Not necessarily - some electronics could have a high initial current.

> You can also measure the current with a VOM. The current with every
> thing off (you cannot actually cut every thing off) should lie in the
> milliamp range.

That's the reliable way. However, allow some time for things to settle
down - perhaps 20 minutes or so, as certain devices remain powered for
some time after switch off.

--
*I must always remember that I'm unique, just like everyone else. *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Old August 17th 06, 07:50 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
[email protected]

Had this same problem...it's possible your stereo or another accessory
was wired directly to your battery, and thus drains it while the car is
not running.

Old August 17th 06, 07:54 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Jim[_11_]

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Had this same problem...it's possible your stereo or another accessory
> was wired directly to your battery, and thus drains it while the car is
> not running.

If that is the way that whomever connected this equipment to your car, you
really ought to complain loudly about their workmanship.
Jim

Old August 17th 06, 10:09 PM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Dave Plowman (News)

In article >,
Jim > wrote:
> > Had this same problem...it's possible your stereo or another accessory
> > was wired directly to your battery, and thus drains it while the car
> > is not running.
> >

> If that is the way that whomever connected this equipment to your car,
> you really ought to complain loudly about their workmanship.

It's quite common for external power amps to be connected 'direct' to the
battery - but go into standby mode when no signal is present. Of course
all these few milliamps here and milliamps there add up. I think I
remember reading somewhere that about 2 weeks is the maximum a modern car
can be left without running the engine before the battery goes flat.

--
*Filthy stinking rich -- well, two out of three ain't bad

S10 battery drain b7100 Technology 10 February 7th 06 02:05 AM
Used sedan recommendation? 2000OdysseyLX Technology 48 December 16th 05 04:10 AM
Battery drain - because of fuel injection! (Just) Allan VW air cooled 9 November 1st 05 01:48 PM
Where's '01 a6 battery well water drain? Frank Brunke Audi 4 October 17th 05 09:39 PM
how do I clear drain in battery compartment / flooded footwell pdnews VW water cooled 1 August 2nd 05 12:16 PM