Odyssey 2000 EGR system

Old July 18th 05, 01:07 AM
Leonard Caillouet

Default Odyssey 2000 EGR system

My engine check light came on and the ODB code indicates restricted EGR
flow. Looking briefly I see what appear to be sensors in the exhaust before
the cat con and in the cat con itself, but I do not see the EGR valve nor
the line to it. Anyone familiar with these enough to tell me if this is a
reasonably easy service job and where the EGR valve is located?

Also, and curious, the TCS light has intermittently come on when the engine
check light was on. Neither has come back on since I reset the codes and
have driven it several trips, including up to 60 mph with decel. several
times to get the EGR system check to operate. I wonder if maybe there is a
bad ground or transients in the system. I see complaints of erratic engine
check lights and unreliable ODB codes on Hondas of this era. Anyone have
some knowledge of this stuff?

Any recommendations for service manuals would be appreciated. I intend to
order the Honda manual, but if there are others that are more useful I'd
like to know.

The van has 80K miles on it. I am an electronics tech working on repairs at
the component level and have a DIY level of auto repair skill that is above
average.

Thanks,

Leonard

Old July 18th 05, 05:31 PM
Toby Cowger

[...]

As well as replacing the EGR valve, you'll need to remove the intake manifold
and get all the carbon out of that, too. There is a kit available from Honda
that has a teflon coated pipe to fit into the EGR port to reduce the tendancy
for it to clog. It's about a half a day job for your first time.

The TCS light and check engine light are probably trying to tell you that
your transmission is failing. Get it into the dealer and they'll get you
a rebuilt one put in for free. These are covered out to 100k miles.

Unfortunately, your EGR system is only covered out to 80k miles. If you've
got a really good relationship with your dealer, they might let you slide
if you're just past 80k, otherwise, no.

Check out www.odyclub.com for a lot of info on both these common problems.

Old July 19th 05, 04:00 AM
chip

On 18 Jul 2005 10:31:05 -0600, Toby Cowger >
wrote:

>: My engine check light came on and the ODB code indicates restricted EGR
>: flow. Looking briefly I see what appear to be sensors in the exhaust before
>: the cat con and in the cat con itself, but I do not see the EGR valve nor
>: the line to it. Anyone familiar with these enough to tell me if this is a
>: reasonably easy service job and where the EGR valve is located?
>
>: Also, and curious, the TCS light has intermittently come on when the engine
>: check light was on. Neither has come back on since I reset the codes and
>: have driven it several trips, including up to 60 mph with decel. several
>: times to get the EGR system check to operate. I wonder if maybe there is a
>: bad ground or transients in the system. I see complaints of erratic engine
>: check lights and unreliable ODB codes on Hondas of this era. Anyone have
>: some knowledge of this stuff?
>
>: The van has 80K miles on it. I am an electronics tech working on repairs at
>: the component level and have a DIY level of auto repair skill that is above
>: average.
>
>As well as replacing the EGR valve, you'll need to remove the intake manifold
>and get all the carbon out of that, too. There is a kit available from Honda
>that has a teflon coated pipe to fit into the EGR port to reduce the tendancy
>for it to clog. It's about a half a day job for your first time.
>
>The TCS light and check engine light are probably trying to tell you that
>your transmission is failing. Get it into the dealer and they'll get you
>a rebuilt one put in for free. These are covered out to 100k miles.
>
>Unfortunately, your EGR system is only covered out to 80k miles. If you've
>got a really good relationship with your dealer, they might let you slide
>if you're just past 80k, otherwise, no.
>
>Check out www.odyclub.com for a lot of info on both these common problems.

tcs light usually comes on with the egr code, by the way tcs doesn't
involve the tranny it gets all its info from the abs sensors.
Chip
Old July 19th 05, 01:00 PM
Leonard Caillouet

"chip" > wrote in message
> On 18 Jul 2005 10:31:05 -0600, Toby Cowger >
> wrote:
>
>>: My engine check light came on and the ODB code indicates restricted EGR
>>: flow. Looking briefly I see what appear to be sensors in the exhaust
>>before
>>: the cat con and in the cat con itself, but I do not see the EGR valve
>>nor
>>: the line to it. Anyone familiar with these enough to tell me if this is
>>: reasonably easy service job and where the EGR valve is located?
>>
>>: Also, and curious, the TCS light has intermittently come on when the
>>engine
>>: check light was on. Neither has come back on since I reset the codes
>>and
>>: have driven it several trips, including up to 60 mph with decel. several
>>: times to get the EGR system check to operate. I wonder if maybe there
>>is a
>>: bad ground or transients in the system. I see complaints of erratic
>>engine
>>: check lights and unreliable ODB codes on Hondas of this era. Anyone
>>have
>>: some knowledge of this stuff?
>>
>>: The van has 80K miles on it. I am an electronics tech working on
>>repairs at
>>: the component level and have a DIY level of auto repair skill that is
>>above
>>: average.
>>
>>As well as replacing the EGR valve, you'll need to remove the intake
>>manifold
>>and get all the carbon out of that, too. There is a kit available from
>>Honda
>>that has a teflon coated pipe to fit into the EGR port to reduce the
>>tendancy
>>for it to clog. It's about a half a day job for your first time.
>>
>>The TCS light and check engine light are probably trying to tell you that
>>your transmission is failing. Get it into the dealer and they'll get you
>>a rebuilt one put in for free. These are covered out to 100k miles.
>>
>>Unfortunately, your EGR system is only covered out to 80k miles. If
>>you've
>>got a really good relationship with your dealer, they might let you slide
>>if you're just past 80k, otherwise, no.
>>
>>Check out www.odyclub.com for a lot of info on both these common problems.
>>

> tcs light usually comes on with the egr code, by the way tcs doesn't
> involve the tranny it gets all its info from the abs sensors.
> Chip

What causes the TCS light to come on with the EGR code?

Leonard

Old July 19th 05, 06:10 PM
Toby Cowger

:>: My engine check light came on and the ODB code indicates restricted EGR
:>: flow. Looking briefly I see what appear to be sensors in the exhaust before
:>: the cat con and in the cat con itself, but I do not see the EGR valve nor
:>: the line to it. Anyone familiar with these enough to tell me if this is a
:>: reasonably easy service job and where the EGR valve is located?
:>
[...]

Yup, Chip is right. TCS light comes on when the EGR system acts up.
I had the transmission, EGR, and cat conv problems all at the same time
and got my symptoms mixed up.

Let us know how your repairs go!

Old July 20th 05, 03:19 AM
chip

On 19 Jul 2005 11:10:05 -0600, Toby Cowger >
wrote:

>:>: My engine check light came on and the ODB code indicates restricted EGR
>:>: flow. Looking briefly I see what appear to be sensors in the exhaust before
>:>: the cat con and in the cat con itself, but I do not see the EGR valve nor
>:>: the line to it. Anyone familiar with these enough to tell me if this is a
>:>: reasonably easy service job and where the EGR valve is located?
>:>
>:>: Also, and curious, the TCS light has intermittently come on when the engine
>:>: check light was on. Neither has come back on since I reset the codes and
>:>: have driven it several trips, including up to 60 mph with decel. several
>:>: times to get the EGR system check to operate. I wonder if maybe there is a
>:>: bad ground or transients in the system. I see complaints of erratic engine
>:>: check lights and unreliable ODB codes on Hondas of this era. Anyone have
>:>: some knowledge of this stuff?
>:>
>:>: The van has 80K miles on it. I am an electronics tech working on repairs at
>:>: the component level and have a DIY level of auto repair skill that is above
>:>: average.
>:>
>:>As well as replacing the EGR valve, you'll need to remove the intake manifold
>:>and get all the carbon out of that, too. There is a kit available from Honda
>:>that has a teflon coated pipe to fit into the EGR port to reduce the tendancy
>:>for it to clog. It's about a half a day job for your first time.
>:>
>:>The TCS light and check engine light are probably trying to tell you that
>:>your transmission is failing. Get it into the dealer and they'll get you
>:>a rebuilt one put in for free. These are covered out to 100k miles.
>:>
>:>Unfortunately, your EGR system is only covered out to 80k miles. If you've
>:>got a really good relationship with your dealer, they might let you slide
>:>if you're just past 80k, otherwise, no.
>:>
>:>Check out www.odyclub.com for a lot of info on both these common problems.
>:>
>:>
>: tcs light usually comes on with the egr code, by the way tcs doesn't
>: involve the tranny it gets all its info from the abs sensors.
>: Chip
>
>Yup, Chip is right. TCS light comes on when the EGR system acts up.
>I had the transmission, EGR, and cat conv problems all at the same time
>and got my symptoms mixed up.
>
>Let us know how your repairs go!

as i recall it's a PIFNH system fail code, the traction control
doesn't work because the engine is in open loop mode constantly. It's
just the way it is.
Chip
Old July 24th 05, 02:09 AM
Genboy

Agreed, the TCS comes on the same time as the check engine light for an
EGR flow problem, mainly because the TCS also uses vacuum pressure.

Old July 24th 05, 12:04 PM
Leonard Caillouet

I suspected the TCS might be using vacuum. If this is the case, however,
why would a clogged EGR system be the souce of the error. If there was a
vacuum loss, then a drop in EGR flow might be a symptom of the vacuum loss?
If the EGR flow is restricted, the vacuum should increase if everything else
stays the same, should it not? I assume that EGR flow is into the IM, not
the other way around. Maybe the TCS shuts down with any engine malfunction?
Is this stuff covered in the service manual or is there additional training
literature?

I have seen enough posts on various forums to make me wonder how reliable
the codes on Hondas of this era might be. I work on electonics and know how
something as simple as ground integrity or a little noise can affect a data
bus or corrupt an EEPROM. I am wondering if there is a problem at all. At
about the same time that the engine and TCS lights came on I had a strange
control problem in the AC. The modes would not switch and it came on in the
defrost mode instead of the normal auto mode. None of the problems have
occurred again. I'll plot the data on the fuel economy today and see if
there are any changes there, but an initial look indicates no problem.

Leonard

"Genboy" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Agreed, the TCS comes on the same time as the check engine light for an
> EGR flow problem, mainly because the TCS also uses vacuum pressure.

LIDAR Trial this Week [email protected] Driving 17 April 9th 06 02:44 AM
The dangers of DRLs 223rem Driving 399 July 25th 05 11:28 PM
YOU CAN'T DRIVE TOO SLOW Laura Bush murdered her boy friend Driving 93 April 21st 05 10:34 AM
"Check engine" (malfunction) light in 2000 Odyssey LX 2000OdysseyLX Honda 10 December 26th 04 11:10 PM
Broken driver window system A6 2000 (repost) Josh Audi 2 September 28th 04 11:10 PM