How do you insure a 16 year old driver?

Old March 10th 05, 04:10 AM

Default How do you insure a 16 year old driver?

What risks does one take when they get insurance to cover anyone
driving the vehicle and a 16 year old household member wrecks the car?

I know you should add the driver to the policy and pay out the ass but
are you required to to be covered in case of an accident?

Old March 10th 05, 04:22 AM
Dave C.

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> What risks does one take when they get insurance to cover anyone
> driving the vehicle and a 16 year old household member wrecks the car?
>
> I know you should add the driver to the policy and pay out the ass but
> are you required to to be covered in case of an accident?

What insurance company do you have where they don't ASK about other
household members, regardless of age? I think your question is moot. You
are going to pay out the ass anyway. If you lie and claim that there IS no
16-year-old in the house, you will save money until you have an accident.
Then the claim will be DENIED, and you will pay all
damages/injuries/hospital bills out of pocket. -Dave

Old March 10th 05, 06:13 PM
Big Bill

On 9 Mar 2005 19:10:20 -0800, "
> wrote:

>What risks does one take when they get insurance to cover anyone
>driving the vehicle and a 16 year old household member wrecks the car?

What risks? read the insurance policy; it will spell out your risks.
If you're asking what risks you take when you *don't* insure the 16
year old driver, well, they are considerable.
Insurance fraud is taken seriously; so is liability for the parents.
Better to just insure the new driver.

>I know you should add the driver to the policy and pay out the ass but
>are you required to to be covered in case of an accident?

Doesn't your state require this? Do you really think you can just say,
"well, it was my uninsured 16 year old who dod this, so I'm not
responsible"?
--
Bill Funk
Change "g" to "a"
Old March 10th 05, 11:25 PM
Dave C.

> Read your policy. Often related members of one's household are NOT
> covered if they aren't added to the policy.

Not only that, but ALL members of a household are NOT covered if even ONE of
them is not added to the policy. There is wording in your insurance policy
to the effect that the insurance company can deny payment of ANY claim on
your policy if you pay a lower premium than you should have for any reason.
In other words, if your 16-year-old is not on your policy, and your wife
wrecks your car, the Insurance company can deny the claim (related to your
wife wrecking your car) if it is discovered that your insurance premiums
should have been higher due to another household member who was not on the
policy, but should have been. -Dave

Old March 14th 05, 04:07 PM
Matthew Russotto

In article . net>,
Dave C. > wrote:

>> Read your policy. Often related members of one's household are NOT
>> covered if they aren't added to the policy.
>>

>Not only that, but ALL members of a household are NOT covered if even ONE of
>them is not added to the policy. There is wording in your insurance policy
>to the effect that the insurance company can deny payment of ANY claim on
>your policy if you pay a lower premium than you should have for any reason.

Not in mine.
result in a fully-depreciated one.
Old June 12th 05, 04:04 AM
Shawn Hearn

In article .com>,
" > wrote:

> What risks does one take when they get insurance to cover anyone
> driving the vehicle and a 16 year old household member wrecks the car?
>
> I know you should add the driver to the policy and pay out the ass but
> are you required to to be covered in case of an accident?

I suppose that depends on your financial situation and the laws where
you live. Contact your insurance agency or your carrier to discuss your
situation and see what your options are. You might also check your
state's web site to see if any online consumer resources are available
for buying auto insurance coverage.
Old June 12th 05, 10:24 AM
John David Galt

> " wrote:
>> What risks does one take when they get insurance to cover anyone
>> driving the vehicle and a 16 year old household member wrecks the car?

What part of the world are you in? Around here, all car insurance
covers anyone who drives the car with the owner's permission. You can
sometimes get an exclusion for a specific person but companies don't
like to write those, because the courts often make them pay out anyway.

>> I know you should add the driver to the policy and pay out the ass but
>> are you required to to be covered in case of an accident?

Yes. If you own a car and allow it to be driven, you must insure it.

Most insurance companies now insist on knowing your kids' names & ages
when you sign up with them, so when Junior turns 16, he goes on your
policy unless he gets one of his own.
Old June 12th 05, 11:41 AM
Nate Nagel

John David Galt wrote:
>> " wrote:
>>
>>> What risks does one take when they get insurance to cover anyone
>>> driving the vehicle and a 16 year old household member wrecks the car?

> What part of the world are you in? Around here, all car insurance
> covers anyone who drives the car with the owner's permission. You can
> sometimes get an exclusion for a specific person but companies don't
> like to write those, because the courts often make them pay out anyway.
>
>>> I know you should add the driver to the policy and pay out the ass but
>>> are you required to to be covered in case of an accident?

> Yes. If you own a car and allow it to be driven, you must insure it.
>
> Most insurance companies now insist on knowing your kids' names & ages
> when you sign up with them, so when Junior turns 16, he goes on your
> policy unless he gets one of his own.

Additionally, most policies now are written so that any household
members under 25 either must be specifically excluded from driving your
vehicles or else your rates go through the roof. Additionally, many
policies now prohibit you from lending your car to ANYONE under 25.

Pretty soon it will be effectively impossible for a young person to
drive due to financial reasons.

Perhaps if we had better training and licensing procedures the younger
drivers wouldn't be so much of a risk...?

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel
Old June 13th 05, 01:02 AM
Matthew Russotto

In article <1118572918.1182b10505c966cca00c08c2ef302468@teran ews>,
Nate Nagel > wrote:

>Additionally, most policies now are written so that any household
>members under 25 either must be specifically excluded from driving your
>vehicles or else your rates go through the roof. Additionally, many
>policies now prohibit you from lending your car to ANYONE under 25.
>
>Pretty soon it will be effectively impossible for a young person to
>drive due to financial reasons.

No, it won't. The insurance companies will make sure the rates are
not quite painful enough to make it impossible for the middle-class
suburban teenager to drive.
--
Darth Tel: "You can defeat Emperor Gates. He has forseen it. Join me,
and together we will rule the Galaxy as father and son!"

Steve Chipwalker, hanging on by his fingernails: "Sure thing, Pop. Just pull
me up, give me a laptop, and we'll go axe your boss"

-- Megahertz Wars, Episode V, "Finale".

PING: Ted Mittlestadt Dan Larsen Chrysler 25 January 10th 07 02:53 AM
Your cellphone is killing 2,600 per year BE Driving 19 February 25th 05 06:17 AM
MFFY RV Driver Skip Elliott Bowman Driving 1 February 22nd 05 09:24 AM
What year was it made? Boffer 4x4 0 December 18th 04 09:19 PM
Ok...I've got a little over a year to think this one over... Anthony Mazda 9 October 13th 04 04:15 AM