rear differential

Old July 7th 06, 09:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Steve[_4_]

Default rear differential

I have been working on a 1984 CJ-7 and thought I would drain the
transmission, transfer case and differentials while I was waiting for
some parts to arrive.
I was surprised that there was no drain or fill plug on the rear
diff.(I never looked at the front one and just assumed it is the same)
Does anyone know if these are sealed? And, if oil has leaked out, how
do you replace it?
Thanks

Old July 7th 06, 09:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jeff Strickland[_1_]

Drain the diff by taking the cover off.
Fill the diff by taking the fill plug out of the other side, and filling to
the bottom of the hole.

ps.com...

Old July 7th 06, 10:08 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

There is a bolt you remove to check the oil. If it's not in the back
pan, it is in the side of the housing or around in the front by the
pinion.

The drain on most of them is the back cover. Remove all the bolts
except one top center, just loosen that. Then pry carefully with
something under to catch the gush of stinky goop.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's