Rear Door Locks (Was Bought a new Malibu MAXX, my opinions?)

Old January 24th 05, 12:59 AM
James C. Reeves

Default Rear Door Locks (Was Bought a new Malibu MAXX, my opinions?)

"Sean Scott" <Its@secret> wrote in message

> "James C. Reeves" > wrote in message

>>> I see them all the time--
>>>

>>> I do have one complaint-- there are no child protect locks on the back
>>> door...
>>>

>> Really? I thought rear door child safety locks were required by law.
>> Hmmm.. Interesting!
>>

> He is talking about the hatchback fifth door i think.

You may be right. Interesting though if true. That means that there is a
law requiring rear door child-proof locks so a kid can't open the rear
doors...AND that there is a law that requires a internal latch on rear
liftgates so a kid *can* open those. One just has to laugh at this nonsense
at times.

Old February 6th 05, 01:51 AM
bigblue

James C. Reeves wrote:
> "Sean Scott" <Its@secret> wrote in message

>>>Really? I thought rear door child safety locks were required by law.
>>>Hmmm.. Interesting!
>>>

>>He is talking about the hatchback fifth door i think.
>>

> You may be right. Interesting though if true. That means that there is a
> law requiring rear door child-proof locks so a kid can't open the rear
> doors...AND that there is a law that requires a internal latch on rear
> liftgates so a kid *can* open those. One just has to laugh at this nonsense
> at times.

No I WAS talking about the actual rear door-- I spoke to the dealer and
they said there isn't an actual law-- If anyone knows of one, can you
post proof??

Thanks--

Tim
Old February 6th 05, 04:21 AM
James C. Reeves

"bigblue" > wrote in message
news

> No I WAS talking about the actual rear door-- I spoke to the dealer and
> they said there isn't an actual law-- If anyone knows of one, can you
> post proof??
>
> Thanks--
>
> Tim

Not really...I just *thought* there was a law that rear doors of cars had to
have child safety locks. There may be information about it at the NHTSA web
site. I think that's fairly idiotic of GM to omit them on the Malibu
though, since it's probably used quite frequently as a "family" vehicle.

Old February 6th 05, 04:53 AM
Daniel J. Stern

On Sat, 5 Feb 2005, bigblue wrote:

> I do have one complaint-- there are no child protect locks on the back
> door... I spoke to the dealer and they said there isn't an actual law

He's right. There is no Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard requiring
"child protect" locks. No real reason for any such a device. If your kids
are young enough to grab door handles at random, they're in child
restraints (which you use...right???). If they're too old for child
restraints, they're old enough to be taught never to open the door when
the car is moving (which you do...right???)

Personal responsibility and attention to the parenting task: The
anti-problem.

DS
Old February 6th 05, 04:55 PM
Dave

James C. Reeves wrote:

> Not really...I just *thought* there was a law that rear doors of cars had to
> have child safety locks. There may be information about it at the NHTSA web
> site. I think that's fairly idiotic of GM to omit them on the Malibu
> though, since it's probably used quite frequently as a "family" vehicle.

GM responded to this complaint at one point I believe by says since they
had doors that automatically locks the child proof locks were not needed.

No, that response dones not make any sense. My 97 Concorde has auto
locks and child proof locks.

Old February 6th 05, 05:55 PM
Daniel J. Stern

On Sat, 5 Feb 2005, James C. Reeves wrote:

> I think that's fairly idiotic of GM to omit them on the Malibu though,
> since it's probably used quite frequently as a "family" vehicle.

Idiocy from GM surprises you...?