Door Hinge Plates

Old January 19th 05, 03:52 AM
Mel P.

Default Door Hinge Plates

Are the 'adjustable' plates removable without cutting the body or are they
installed before the panels are welded together at the factory?

Any tricks on getting them out with cutting metal?
--
Mel

77 Revived Bug & 70 Ghia Cabriolet
www.geocities.com/mpernice
PARTS FOR SALE: http://www.geocities.com/njvwclub/vwparts/index.htm

Old January 19th 05, 04:21 AM
Grahame Rumballe

Mel,

So your hinge plates have rusted/stripped!
Sorry, the plates are not normally removable.
BUT, you maybe able to, if you have the time and ingenuity to make some "one off " tools to get to them.
OR, you maybe able to prethread some new plates/nuts and install them behind the old plates and use longer hinge screws.
Have a look at the "inside a bug" pics here. May help you to see what you are up against.

Grahame
from Aus

Old January 23rd 05, 03:45 PM
Jay McGraw

Which car? The Ghia or the Bug?
On my bug, if you look down behind the door jam from inside the front luggage area, you can see the plates. They appear to just be held in with a bent metal tab, so if you had some LONG snork-type pliers or something you could probably untwist the tab and remove the plate. I am going to be replaceing the inner fender area right behind the bottom one anyway, so I am not 100% sure it'll work this way, but I'm pretty sure someone else told me the same thing.

Jay

Old January 23rd 05, 06:31 PM
MUADIB®

See if you can figure out the orientation in this picture and get a
good idea of what you need to do to replace the hinge mounting plate.
This is a large picture and is very detailed.

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/ssterile/Mar17_37.JPG

I have more pictures of this but this one seems to be the best of the
threadeed plate.

>Are the 'adjustable' plates removable without cutting the body or are they
>installed before the panels are welded together at the factory?
>
>Any tricks on getting them out with cutting metal?

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/sster...IN%20PAGE.html

one small step for man,.....
One giant leap for attorneys.
Old January 26th 05, 11:48 PM
P.J.Berg

MUADIB® wrote:
> See if you can figure out the orientation in this picture and get a
> good idea of what you need to do to replace the hinge mounting plate.
> This is a large picture and is very detailed.
>
> http://www.angelfire.com/retro/ssterile/Mar17_37.JPG
>
> I have more pictures of this but this one seems to be the best of the
> threadeed plate.

Cool picture, not often you can find that angle...

J.

Old January 30th 05, 01:38 AM
MUADIB®

>Cool picture, not often you can find that angle...

Thanks,................I just got lucky on the quality of it
too.......LOL

Hope it helped the OP