Toyota Starlet Sportif Bottom Pulley Worn

Old December 22nd 04, 04:07 PM
Caie

Default Toyota Starlet Sportif Bottom Pulley Worn

Hi all,

I have a couple of quick questions, can you help? When I recently had
my timing belt changed on my 1996 Toyota Starlet Sportif, the mechanic
said that the bottom pulley was also extremely worn and needed
replacing. I had this confirmed by my local Toyota garage as well.
It's scheduled for tomorrow morning.

As I've only had the car for 3 weeks I'm attempting to get the repair
paid for by the garage I bought the car from as it was worn when I got
it. The rubbish 6 month warranty they gave with the car doesn't cover
parts worn when the car was sold and their "pre-delivery inspection"
and "full service" didn't spot the worn pulley (as if they would admit
it - lucky I got the timing belt changed!)

What I am wondering is it normal for a pulley to be worn at 67,000
miles and 8 years? What could/would happen if I continued to drive
with a worn pulley? I've been quoted =A3300 for replacement - this is
Toyota so the labour will be high - what is the price for the part?
Any answers or comments are very appreciated,

Graeme