Brits are SAFER drivers ... too busy cross-dressing?

Old September 13th 06, 08:52 PM posted to alt.military.retired,ca.driving,rec.autos.driving,soc.veterans,uk.legal
[email protected][_1_]

Default Brits are SAFER drivers ... too busy cross-dressing?

How well would the drivers in your state (including you) do with this
drivers test?

(Assume the eye test of reading a normal licence under normal
conditions at 67 feet to have been passed.)

Pass a muntiple-choice test of rules and regulations regarding driving.

Sit at a TV screen for 20 minutes or so and "go on" a long drive in the
city and country, pointing out all hazards, be it the football rolling
out into the street or the car parked at the kerb with t6urned wheels
and a wisp of exhaust coming out the pipe.

Go on an actual drive with the examiner. Perhaps start parked at the
kerb and having to back around a corner without getting the car more
than two feet from the kerb.
Did you remove your seat belt to make it easier - it's legal to do so
when reversing, you know?
You will approach an angled (45 degrees or so) junction and stop before
entering the main road. The painted centre line curved slightly as it
met the give way line. Did your front bumper cross that line into the
small area where no one would ever drive?
The instructer will ask you to drive to a major landmark downtown from
where you are in the suburbs. If you happen to be in a lane that turns
into a right turn only lane (Visualized a left turn lane in NA) how do
you handle it? The goal is to reach the lndmark safely and legally -
you figure it out.
When driving along a main route did you hold up traffic due to your
driving at the 30 mph limit where the light posts are within a certain
distance? If so, that's a bad mark as the "speed limit" is advisory and
obviously unreasonable at this point.

During this whole proceedure you will be asked to:
Check fluids (windscreen washer, oil, radiator, battery, brake, and so
on. Diffs/tranaxles not included.)
Check tires for pressure, wear, cuts/slits and so on. (Did you do the
spare?)
Check car glass for cracks and obstructions.
Check all lights: headlight, signal lights, rear lights, brake lights
and so on.
(How you do the brake lights is up to you, but don't ask for help.)
Check underbonnet hoses and belts for condition.
You might ask if the inspector wants you to check the brake hoses to
make points!
(If the inspector didn't ask you do to that first, s/he probably
figured you not to pass!)

I may have missed something or had it out or order. Those who have
taken this test might care to comment.

SeaWoe (California now, 1991-9 in Coventry)

Old September 13th 06, 11:39 PM posted to alt.military.retired,ca.driving,rec.autos.driving,soc.veterans,uk.legal
[email protected][_1_]

That's how I usually do it, or if street parking, reflecting the light
off the other cars.
Shops with windows going down to the floors are nice if they fce the
parking lot.
Like 7-11 sometimes.

Underground parking garages with a smooth flat floor can be nice for
checking headlight aim

SeaWoe / KH

Old September 14th 06, 12:50 AM posted to alt.military.retired,ca.driving,rec.autos.driving,soc.veterans,uk.legal
Nate Nagel

Heh, been there, done that. In fact, I've been known to visit deserted
office building parking lots late at night armed with a screwdriver, a
tape measure, and a roll of masking tape

nate

(e-codes are easier to aim...)

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Is it time to take the keys away from our teenage drivers? Mike T. Driving 2 March 2nd 06 02:38 PM
Millions of illegals on roads, but let's screw US citizen teen drivers instead arminius Driving 3 September 24th 05 08:35 PM
The Nation's Worst Drivers [email protected] Ford Mustang 22 May 31st 05 01:56 AM
Drives me crazy MidnightDad Driving 35 April 26th 05 03:05 AM
Flashpoint Racing Series begins tonight! [email protected] Simulators 34 February 18th 05 02:37 AM