Do Golf's have speed sensitive wipers?

Old July 18th 05, 01:39 AM
Joseph Meehan

Default Do Golf's have speed sensitive wipers?

Rob Guenther wrote:
> Car is a 1999.5 Golf TDI, GLS w/luxury package.
>
> So I was driving in the rain for almost 3 hours today, at various
> speeds of around 60-130kph... And I noticed at certain speeds my
> wipers would move slower - slow enough that they would start skipping
> (staggering) their way up the windsheild, then a slow smooth stroke
> back down. At higher speeds and lower speeds they operated at a
> proper rate of strokes per minute... but not at around 90-110kph...
> Which is what I was driving when traffic was slower and the rain was
> the heaviest.
> It seemed almost at random that the wipers would work "properly"
> again.
> Could it be the (relatively new) wiper blades, or perhaps something is
> pushing them too tight against the windsheild... or does my car have
> speed sensitive wipers?

My 2002 NB had a delay wipe speed dependent on the speed of the car, but
not the sweep speed.

My guess is it has more to do with the amount of moisture on the glass
than the speed setting.

Clean glass and good fresh wiper blades make a big difference. I
replace mine twice a year.

-
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Old July 18th 05, 02:00 AM
Nathan Lucas

as others have said, probably just to do with the amount of water falling
onto the screen. if your wipers are juddering, try cleaning you screen with
liquid sugar soap (must be the liquid, not the powder you add water too).
spray it on, then start the wipers, then rinse the screen with clean water
(or just use the washers!)

works wonders

Old July 18th 05, 11:56 PM
Nathan Lucas

any hardware or diy place should have it. usually with the decorating
stuff. it's normally used for washing down walls before you paint them.